good kayak hauling cars/crossovers

Trucks versus cars
I’m a big fan of trucks - always have been - but I’ve never been on a paddling trip where there was a need to drive off-road, so being “limited” to paved and gravel roads seems pretty reasonable to me. Even the average dirt path can be driven on by any car, and people routinely did that prior to the mid-70s when trucks first became popular. Given the OP’s target range for fuel economy, some kind of car seems best.

Mini

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 2:27 PM EST –

The Mini is a great kayak hauler. Current mileage is around 27/35, base under $20k. Has a low roof, back seats fold to give a lot of space. The Clubman is longer, has more space in the back, and the rear doors open to the side, which would be awesome, as the hatch on mine doesn't open all the way with boats on. It's not a deal breaker, though. I don't think the 4WD version is a good choice, as I hear it's kind of a dog.

Here's mine with a 24" and 24.5" wide boat on top:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Cape%20Breton/RoadTrip010.jpg

curious…

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 3:14 PM EST –

With that long roof, would it have been possible to mount the cross bars further apart? Also, with the front passenger seat tipped forward, would it be possible to transport a 6-foot x 25 inch WW boat inside?

I've always like the Mini. What's your top cruising speed... I mean, with comfortable RPMs? Not necessarily with boats loaded. Or, both ways, if you know.

curious…

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 3:14 PM EST –

I like the Soul. Those are good looking rails. How much weight does Kia say you can have, up there?

I don't suppose you could transport a 6-foot WW boat inside, with the passenger seat tipped forward?

And, what's you top cruising speed, with comfortable RPMs? Not necessarily with boats on top. Or, both, if you know.

sure

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 3:13 PM EST –

Any modern wagon can handle anything from a paved road to gravel to a two track. I used to drive a pickup for work and I can count the times I put it into 4wd on one hand.
When you're not hauling the kayaks, you can haul people, pets, etc. Covered cargo and comfort.

FWIW though, if I needed and drove a pickup in the first place, I'd definitely make it my kayak hauler.

America Hates Wagons

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 4:44 PM EST –

We are the weirdos who need them. Wouldn't it be great to be able to buy a Corolla, Civic, Camry, or Accord wagon? I'm very happy with my 2010 Elantra Touring. Good price, gas mileage, reliability. Nice low roof with rails for kayaks. Hyundai quit making them. If you can find a good used one I can vouch for the quality and characteristics of mine.

well put
I am glad you still like Elantra GT

Anyways, a bit more to the point, the current version of GT comes with factory cross bars.

Is The New Rav4 Too High?
Anyone have experience with the new or old Rav4s?

I just bought a wagon,
a 2013 Volkswagon Jetta Sportswagon TDI diesel. We had been looking at the Elantra touring but they changed the style for 2013. People keeping asking me “why did you get a wagon” with a funny look on there face, everyone seems to have a hard time when I tell them I wanted a wagon

Here’s the website for SSD

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 7:48 PM EST –

http://ssdperformance.blogspot.com/

Another alternative for any relatively flat roof is the tracks from Thule or Yakima. Probably the strongest, most secure mount of all.

I usually drive 65 regardless of boats, but the guys that pass me on the flat highway I pass going over the Altamont Pass, still at 65. I've never had the engine over 4K RPM (65 in 4th gear) but its usually at about 2200 (65 in 6th gear)

I 'spose you could put a playboat inside, but since my boats are all 8-9' long and I am averse to wet sandy stuff all over the interior, I haven't done it. Can readily carry WW paddles inside if desired.

That’s Too Bad

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 7:43 PM EST –

About the funny looks. We love them and we're still a Volvo wagon family, but both the 850 and V70 are racking up lots of miles and maintence is now exceeding whatever value is left in them. So now checking out the Rav4, since service for Toyota is close by and don't have to drive way over to the other part of town for it. Unfortunately, service for VW is too far away, so service convenience is a big factor for us. Right now, we just drop the Volvos off and walk home, which is faster than using the shuttle. We just love wagons for the low roof and being able to use them as freighters.

Got rid of stupid tail gate and wheel
That was a killer for me.

4wd?
O, I wasn’t pushing a 4 wheel drive truck for everyone. Most folk don’t need em. I do cause some of the places we go camping you’d have a hard time getting in and out of if there’s any moisture at all. Lol.

4wd?
O, I wasn’t pushing a 4 wheel drive truck for everyone. Most folk don’t need em. I do cause some of the places we go camping you’d have a hard time getting in and out of if there’s any moisture at all. Lol.

Maybe longer

– Last Updated: Mar-07-13 11:24 PM EST –

My Mini is old, a '94. Back then, as you can see in this pic, the cross bars mount through the roof skin directly to the frame inside. It's an incredibly strong connection, but the posts have to be in the positions to match the threaded holes inside:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Pachena%20on%20Mini/Pachena005.jpg

The cross bar spacing is short, which is why I used the EZ-Vee carriers to place the boat supports far apart. This type of carrier is very secure, and the boats never move.

As of 2007 (I think it was) the new cross bars hook into a hidden rail just above the door line, the same as Audis and VWs. The new setup look to have about the same spacing, more or less, although the crossbars look to be a few inches longer.

PS: no to the boat inside, but I do carry one-piece GPs without much trouble. Top speed is unaffected by the boats, but it's a short car and mine has a performance suspension, so it's not a cushy ride. In fact with the long roof up top, it's easy to forget they're up there as you can't see the bow normally. There's little impact on MPG.

Base VW Golf
I got mine out the door for 18K, mounted Thule racks & under hood tie down points and love the car. For a base car it’s got a lot of nice features, fun to drive, averaging 31-33mpg,(mostly country driving), and 30+ going to the Bay Area and back with kayaks on top.

Best of luck, t.george

Well, it’s not that we hate them
we’ve been brainwashed by auto manufacturers to believe that we NEED SUV’s that are more profitable to build, and more profitable for oil companies when we drive them.

That said, I also drive a Jetta TDI wagon. All the capacity of a small SUV, low roof height for loading kayaks and canoes, and an average of 43 MPG. Long trips cost very little fuelwise, and I can pack a lot of stuff in there.

Yep
I’m with ya, Kudzu. It’s a shame you can’t find these cars in a wagon version anymore. It seems like the only station wagons left are expensive fancy models from Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc. Yeah there’s the Passat, but VW is not what it used to be in terms of reliability and affordability.

The roof on the RAV 4 is way too high. It’s not a car-based wagon, but an SUV. Even Subaru has ruined the top on the Outback and it’s higher than it used to be. However, the new Crosstrek is nice and low, if a bit small.

Same experience

– Last Updated: Mar-08-13 1:49 PM EST –

4wd matters more in some areas than others. Don't need it if always on high-traction surfaces--exception would be something like Slickrock Trail in Moab with max traction but extreme grades, but you wouldn't be paddling there anyway!

Why Crossover?

– Last Updated: Mar-09-13 10:15 AM EST –

All they do is give you a tall car. Look at roof height for Kia Soul at 63.4" compared to VW Golf or Hyunsai Elantr GT at 58". 5" is more than a tippy toe stretch.

The Soul gets 29mpg and the Hyundai GT gets 37.

The Hyundai GT looks like it'll be a more comfortable vehicle and less likely to get tossed in high winds with a load on the roof.