traveling w/ Grennland paddles question

-- Last Updated: Mar-07-13 3:39 PM EST --

In the past someone posted some pictures of using PVC pipes with end caps mounted to roof rack for storing GPs while traveling, so i have 2 questions
1st: could you post some pictures again
2nd: can you put 2 GPs in there and not have them banging and rattling around?
Thanks

stuff a few sponges in there with
the paddles.

sponges
great tip, thanks.

Does anyone know a real secure way to attach to the cross bars?

Tie it with rope

– Last Updated: Mar-08-13 2:07 PM EST –

Use a square lashing. For attaching one beam-like structure to another at right angles (PVC tube to crossbar), it'll be more secure than anything you can buy. Choose start and finish knots appropriate to your kind of rope. Two half-hitches will work fine on anything except cheap polyethylene rope, which you shouldn't be using in the first place. Like any other knot appropriate for finishing, this one can be tied with the finishing end of the rope in an already-tight condition. Starting and finishing with a clove hitch would be the traditional method, but that knot MIGHT not stay fully tight. Two clove hitches in series would be pretty bullet-proof though. It's not as complex as it sounds. Total lashing time for the contact point at each crossbar should be less than 90 seconds.

Yakima Multimounts
Work great for GP and/or euro paddles. For those of us who have reason not to trust our knot skills.

A 4" PVC tube…
…will carry 3 paddles with 3.5" wide blades. To protect the paddles in transit and prevent rattling, my girlfriend sewed a sleeve to hold them. It’s handy for keeping them organized when they’re not in the case, too.

Depending on your rack, you can tie the tube on with rope or kayak straps, or rig something using the metal brackets made for holding PVC plumbing to wood-frame wall/floors. They’re available at hardware stores and home centers.

I also sewed a double sleeved case
great idea, i can just leave them in that. Thanks for the measurements, that helps a lot, and i have noticed that contractors vehicles have a little rack for the tubes that look solid. good info. thanks all.

conduit hangers
Depending on what kind of rack you have, you can use large diameter electrical conduit hangers to attach 4" PVC to the rack. I’ve used back to back “broom hangers” (called Mineralacs in the trades) for fastening tubular carriers to rack structures securely. These are flat metal wrap around straps with a bolt fastener at the top and a perforated recessed base. A 1 1/2" clamp will fit around some rack struts and it can be sistered to a matching 4" clamp for the tube.