good kayak hauling cars/crossovers

Quite a change
It’s funny how Subaru flipped a switch to make the cars get better mileage.

Late 90’s compact wagons were great
It’s the strangest set of policies over 30yrs that encouraged low efficiency vehicles for people carriers right up to when the price of oil took off. With a majority of suv/light trucks on the road it ended up raising seat positions and rooflines for passenger vehicles and the nutso category called “crossover” vehicles where you get a sedan with big tires and small trunk, ie. Nissan Milano.

improved Subaru gas milage
Subaru didn’t flip a switch for better milage, they flipper transmissions. They changed from 4 spd autos to CVTs while still retaining a manual option on a few models.

Smaller engine also
The must have done a few things on aerodynamics to get that high a freeway mileage

Think the OP left

– Last Updated: Mar-09-13 11:26 AM EST –

I kinda new this thread would go by this car or that car. Either way the OP should now know just about any car can get after market roof rack system. So pick the car YOU like and can afford.

Maybe a better topic for the OP would be rack types. Like J-bars you need to pick the kayak up over your head but V style saddles you can slide the kayak on from behind with a roller. Thule makes one and I got this V-saddle Gull Wing with roller from local Kayak store.Page down about half way there is a video on how it works. I use this on my Honda Fit but this would work on a Kia Soul too.Or any car with rear hatch or SUV or van. http://oakorchardcanoe.com/rackaccessories.php

Pontiac Vibe
is the twin of the Matrix, and several reviews say the exterior styling on the Vibe is better. A used one should cost you less than a Matrix. As far as I know it has the largest interior hauling capacity of any car in it’s class—you can fit an 8’ ladder in it with the front seat down.

The Vibe has superb reviews for utility and reliability from both professionals and consumers. There is only one small complaint—a recall on certain models for the power train control module.

engines vs CVT

– Last Updated: Mar-09-13 10:02 PM EST –

Subaru has been changing their engines the last few years. However, I think the 2014 Forester has the same engine as the 2013 and the 2014 (redesigned model) has noticeable improved fuel economy.

The major changes for 2014 are electronic steering and the CVT transmission in the place of the 4spd auto used past years.

Dave

Making them lighter…
I think they have been working on making Subarus lighter even though they have got a little bigger. Will see how long it takes to get direct injection engines…

Acura TSX Sportwagon
Just saw one today and it looked pretty neat with factory installed “euro” rails that spanned the entire low roof. All that’s needed are a pair of 58 inch Thule or Yakima X bars, some pads, and you’re all set to transport your boats. No way does it look like a soccer mom or dad’s family wagon.

Nice little car
I’ve been interested in these because they appear to have higher ground clearance than a lot of the small cars like the Honda fit and others.

Yeah, nice.
But some of us can’t afford to spend $31,000+ for a wagon. It seems most of the car-based wagons nowadays are fancy, expensive models from Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Volvo, etc.

They need to bring back the Corolla wagon and similar models for us hoipoloi.

kayak transport cars/SUV’s
Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints. I am researching all your suggestions. I realize I can get bars that clamp on roof if no roof racks are factory installed, but just worry a bit about their stability. I did check with Truck America and they said they would install the clamp style racks and that they were stable. I just would hate to have them come loose and loose kayak and risk causing an accident. (Happened to a friend of mine on an improperly tied down kayak) I have some homework to do!

hybrid Subaru coming soon
Subaru just announced a hybrid version of the XV Crosstrek (think Outback version of Impreza wagon). It will be unveiled at the NY Auto Show. This may be my next Subaru.

I never tire of looking at that photo
Love it.

“crossover” is the biggest scam today
A downsized SUV with reduced carrying capacity but the same lousy mileage.

that’s too bad

– Last Updated: Mar-21-13 11:34 AM EST –

I wonder why they don't just use the base impreza. The Crosstrek is just a tarted-up impreza with more plastic body cladding.

OTOH maybe they're saving the base impreza for their diesel engine, which they plan on bringing here.

Thanks
That was a 2-week road trip from NYC up the coast to the tip of Cape Breton. I lost count of the number of times we found people taking pictures of the rig wherever we parked.

The Cross Trek…
…seems pretty nice and gets good reviews for mileage and rough road handling. However the four door Impreza hatch can be had with roof rails and sits a little lower, which helps to keep down windage when carrying crap on the roof… not to mention getting crap on and off the roof is easier.

I may be going back to a wagon in the near future too. And as others have mentioned, people tend to think getting a wagon is retarded (oops! That was not PC:)

Not just "tarted up"
It also has a lot more ground clearance.

and weight
I just don’t get why they’d pick a heavier less efficient version of the impreza platform to put a hybrid engine in.