Greenland paddle finish advice

laminations
That was one of my concerns with the laminations, expansion/contracting issues. On the same page

An oil & varnish blend…
…will give you the look, feel and ease of application of an oil finish with substantially improved durability. My personal favorite is a 50:50 blend of pure tung oil and spar varnish, but you can use boiled linseed oil and any type of varnish (other than water-borne products). I’ve tried a few combinations and they all seem to perform similarly.

mine are now bare wood
I have two paddles made by Don Beale, solid WRC. One is about 8 years old and still in great shape. It was originally coated with tung oil but it’s been bare wood for at least the last 6 yrs. I take it on every paddling trip but mostly as a spare because I usually use a carbon fiber version that I slightly prefer for the extra buoyancy. The wood paddle is faded from the sun and sea, but the bare wood seems perfectly fine and handles as comfortably as it ever did. I like the feel.

Bare wood
Mine are bare wood too – the ones I made from western red cedar. The ones I bought or won were oil-finished once (a Beale and a Lumpy). But I don’t see that the finish really adds anything beyond beauty. My well-used paddles are silvery now.

Tung Oil
Another vote for tung oil. Nice feel, durable, easy to apply. As has been mentioned, make sure that it’s 100% real.

get what you can replace.
All the mentioned finishes work well. I like oil because it requires no mixing, has reasonable time to work it into wood, looks nice, feels right to me and is easy to touch-up.

seen one
A friend of mine got one of these. It was nice. I’m still looking.

my experience
on my canoe paddles i tried oil all over and it didn’t provide enough waterproofing fot the blade. i like oil on the grip,so i spar varnish the blades and ligtly oil the grip.

turtle

Just to be tiresome, moisture content
of wood significantly affects its strength. The usual GP designs have enough “meat” that the higher moisture content associated with an oil finish will not put the paddle at risk.

But anyone planning on planing the last ounce off the shaft and the blade, and then doing an oil finish, might be headed for trouble. A thinner, lighter paddle might need to be sealed against moisture by epoxy and spar varnish.

hot application
If you’ve done this, just ignore me.

I’ve had good experience with oil on my canoe paddles. Mine are one piece, not laminated (and I choose grain pretty carefully since I am hand carving). The first coat of oil (I use boiled linseed) goes on hot. I heat it outdoors and then brush it on keeping the wood “shiny wet looking” for a half hour or longer. I wipe it down after a few hours. The next day, I wipe a coat on with steel wool or a rag. The hot app really does make a difference in getting the oil to penetrate into the wood. For the first several uses, I wipe oil on after each use, afterwards less often.

heat the oil outdoors - it is flammable, of course

Did you get one?
Did you get one?

I’d like to offer some personal experience as a luthier. I work with wood everyday as an instrument builder and I have learned a lot over the years. First, moisture will make all woods swell. Not good. It also raises wood grain, which can lead to splinters if you are sliding your hand across it. The nature of paddling will always create small abrasions on the tips and along the edges. Not good for the hands. A finish of some sort is in order. Oil finish is traditional, and if maintained will help repel moisture a bit.

I recently repaired numerous bad and minor cracks on a Western Red Cedar (WRC) paddle.
The method I uses was taken from doing repairs, assembly, and pore filling on musical instruments. This method is quite common on luthier built instruments.
CA glue, (Cryoacralate) or Super Glue. Not the stiff in the tiny tubes. It comes in four viscosities. Thin like water, medium, thick, and gel. One brand I use a lot is made by Fastcap and called 2P-10. You can order it online of find it in many woodworking stores. The benefit of using the thin is that it will willingly wick deeply into any crack or void, stabilizing the crack very well.
The ones you can see and the ones you can’t. The other benefit is that a few application become quite hard, as in hard enough that you can drill a hole in wood, apply thin or medium to the inside surface of the hole, and you can tap the hole and thread a bolt into it. The tips on wooden paddles are all “end grain”, as think of a bundle of straws waiting to suck up water. Well, if you apply a few coats of thin or medium to the tips, you will see that they are quite hard. Armoured.

Some of us luthiers also use CA glue as a pore filler before applying a finish, by squirting some “medium” on the surface and wiping the surface in circular motions with a folder paper towel, while wearing rubber or nitrile gloves, OUTDOORS. The fumes are awful. Keep moving that paper towel moving, and you will feel when it is hardening. Remove the towel. The circular motion levels the CA glue, and requires very little sanding to completely level.

A paddle I just built will be completely wiped down with several coats of “thin” CA, and 2X or 3X coated tips.
It will then be sanded lightly with 180 - 220 grit sandpaper. This will leave a matte/satin finish, and feel good in the hands. A matte/satin finish always slides in the hands smoother than gloss finish. If one wanted a more textured finish you cold light sand with a courser grit.

The other thing I’d point out is the wood used in building should always be “vertical grain” orientation, if you are looking straight on at a tip. This is far stronger that “quarter sawn”, “riff sawn”, or “flat sawn”, in descending order of strength.
My current build is with Port Orford Cedar, which is actually a Cypress, not Cedar. It is considerably stronger than WRC, and only slight heavier. Far less likely to crack or break. There is a good reason why wooden arrows have been made from Port Orford for well over a century. WRC has been used for pencils.

I want to see it after it has been strung and tuned…

@magooch said:
My choice
You might want to consider water-based polyurethane. My favorite is outdoor Varathane Spar urethane. It is extremely easy to use and the finish is absolutely clear and non-ambering. I’ve used this finish on all of my wood paddles. It takes six to ten coats and light sanding between coats–particularly the first couple. Repairs are effortless–just a quick sanding and apply another coat. It is very fast drying, so it is not necessary to have a perfect environment to work in

I build a lot of wood furniture and I have now been using this finish for all of my projects. I’ve used many differnt finishes over the decades and this is the best I’ve ever found

I also use it.

@underhills said:
Danish Oil

Wow. All these oil threads have hidden surprises for me today. I am from Denmark, and this is the first time I hear about Danish Oil.

Oil finished paddles stained my carpet.

They’re like dogs. Keep them off the carpet.

@Allan Olesen said:

@underhills said:
Danish Oil

Wow. All these oil threads have hidden surprises for me today. I am from Denmark, and this is the first time I hear about Danish Oil.

What do they call it there? “Oil”?

It’s probably like “Swedish meatballs” and “French toast” in that regard. :wink:

@string said:

@magooch said:
My choice
You might want to consider water-based polyurethane. My favorite is outdoor Varathane Spar urethane. It is extremely easy to use and the finish is absolutely clear and non-ambering. I’ve used this finish on all of my wood paddles. It takes six to ten coats and light sanding between coats–particularly the first couple. Repairs are effortless–just a quick sanding and apply another coat. It is very fast drying, so it is not necessary to have a perfect environment to work in

I build a lot of wood furniture and I have now been using this finish for all of my projects. I’ve used many differnt finishes over the decades and this is the best I’ve ever found

I also use it.

I should have stressed that I only use the outdoor version and only Varathane. Even though the finish feels dry very quickly, it still needs time (days) to completely cure. I sure hope Varathane hasn’t changed their formula.

I forgot to mention that I have also used the Varathane outdoor water-based urethane to spiffy up the bottoms of two of my polyethylene kayaks–not to make repairs, but to shine up scuffed spots. It has been on there for years and none has ever peeled off. You do of course have to remove any wax, etc. before applying the urethane. I used acetone to clean the scuffed spots prior to applying the finish. One more thing; I always use the glossy urethane.