Sleeping bags

That looks good except for the size
the reason I was asking for 20 degrees, is the higher the degrees, the less insulation, which translates to a smaller bag which translates to taking up less room in the kayak compartment.

Thanks,

Jack L

Quilts?
Jack,

Here’s someone else you might want to consider. The latest craze in the ultra-light world are quilts. They are like a sleeping bag, with a footbox, but the bottom is open to save weight (to use the insulation of your pad). The bags have no zipper (so no zipper snags), you drape it over you. Cords are provided to cinch the bag around you in colder weather. If you roll around a lot, you might have trouble with drafts, but I love mine.

I used an Enlightened gear Prodigy 40 degree bag (wide cut) on the Everglades Challenge this year. It weighs only 22 ounces. I was able to get my total camping load to under 30 pounds (not including water).

They make Prodigy quilts for 20 degrees, 30, 40 and 50 degrees. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product-category/prodigy/

Greg Stamer

Not answering for Jack
but my reaction is how does that work if you are kayaking with a partner? How doe you snuggle up and, well, you know?

Google is your friend, Jack
I suppose I could research your four specs, but so can you, so therefore I won’t.

I’ll say to others that I have used rectangular LL Bean 20 degree, DOWN, sleeping bags for 35 years for all my canoe, kayak and car camping. I still have my original bag, with some seamstress patches, which I now use as a comforter on my bed. My second one, about 8 years old, still looks new.

These bags pack down sufficiently to get through the 6" hatches on my outrigger canoe, and I have NEVER gotten the down bags soaked in all those years. (Well, once a little soaked when I left my tent door open during a rain while I was chewing the fat under a tarp.)

The outer layer fibers they use on many down bags these days is pretty water resistant.

You mean you slept ???
I figure you just sleep while you are still paddling!

Thanks,

Jack L

When we summer camp
Patty & I use a double silk bag liner which stuffs into a fist sized bag and put it into two rectangluar polar fleece bags zipped together that we got at Walmart for under $20. You can put all 3 things into a small Sealine bag and stuff it in your hatch with no problem. It kept us comfortable to just below freezing.

indoor olympics
A quilt is less restrictive than a bag (but much draftier since the bag just drapes over you), so you can use that newfound flexibility for more acrobatic maneuvers :^)

The downside is that you are resting directly on your pad. Not a problem if it is cold enough to be wearing a base-layer, otherwise you might need a bag liner or small sheet to avoid sleeping directly on the pad.

I haven’t used them but have heard good things about the Big Agnes “doublewide” bags for couples – if you don’t need to separate the bags, https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/bigcreek .

Greg Stamer

onother option
Thinking back to my long ago days selling gear at an outfitter in the heyday of backpacking in the US (the 1970’s), another lightweight option a few manufacturers offered for tandem camping was top-over-bottom square bags where the two components were differing wieghts. You could have a 40 degree and a 20 degree bag and place whichever over you that suited the ambient temp. You could even get a bottom component that was uninsulated, basically a ground sheet to keep the top bag in place and eliminate drafts. Obviously your ground pad provided the insulation underneath. Some companies even made top components that zipped directly to the ground pad.

For mild weather camping I’ve also used the liner and fleece combo somebody else mentioned. I have a poly blend liner (like a folded over sheet stitched halfway up the side and with a pillow pocket) that I tuck inside a lightweight Polartec zippered bag – it’s quite comfy down to near freezing. Adding the Goretex bivy bag takes it down another 5 degrees, even more if you lay clothing like a fleece jacket and pants between the fleece bag and bivy for more insulation atop. The fleece bag compresses well and the liner is so tiny it fits in a daypack side pocket – in fact you could probably stash it in a Nalgene bottle.

I’ve also found for packing that changing the stuffsack shape can make it easier to stash bulky sleeping bags. It is just as easy to stuff a sleeping bag in a long narrow tent sack as it is the usual short fat bags they sell with them (which are designed to be strapped to a backpack frame.) A long skinny flexible “wiener” is easier to snake into a kayak hatch or wrap around other gear in a portage bag.

Anyway, it’s been interesting to hear the various strategies for camp bedding people are sharing.

Thanks Randy
That might be just the ticket.

We already have two polar fleece bags.

jack L

For a truly deep undisturbable sleep
http://outdoors.campmor.com/wp-content/uploads/shark.png

Very nice!
And, sharks are waterproof.

There’s something wrong with your eyes
Big Agnes is famous for making just about the largest lightweight rectangular sleeping bags on the market.

Do you know what “mummy” means? Narrow throughout + very tapered foot.

P.S.
The foot of a Big Agnes bag is so big that at 20 degrees in order to keep warm you’re forced to wrap the bottom of the bag around your feet as tightly as you can.

Why do you always like to stir crap

– Last Updated: Mar-15-13 6:10 PM EST –

It is obvious that the picture looks like a mummy bag, and I completely agree with his opinion of it.
He gave his specs and if you can't recommend what he is looking for why post?

Guy

this is what a mummy bag looks like:
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Lamina%E2%84%A2-20-%28Regular%29/OU8503,default,pd.html

Not stirring things up. Truth.

“Looks like” but isn’t
Sorry, but that Big Agnes bag is not a mummy, period. You think stating facts is “stirring up crap”? Interesting.

you misunderstood
I’m agreeing with you. I don’t understand why someone can’t identify the difference between a mummy bag and a rectangular bag with a hood.

No, I did understand you
I was replying to RoanGuy, the gentleman with the impeccable manners.

I too can’t understand how anyone could not tell the difference between a rectangular (or semi-rectangular) and a mummy. Some people want to learn and some prefer not to, I guess.

You don’t need to reply to me.
Your advise is usually useless.

No make that always useless

Guy

But you clearly want a reply
Otherwise you wouldn’t keep engaging me. So I’m obliging. Here’s your reply. I hope it does something for you.

As I said in another thread, I’m really sorry about what happened at Waterloo, but you can’t hold it against me forever. If it hadn’t rained the day before you might have been okay.