Worth restoring this kayak?

-- Last Updated: Mar-18-13 3:46 PM EST --

Greetings all,

Looking through Craigslist today and ran across this:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/3685929917.html

Owner is not sure of make or model. All he can tell me is that its around 45 lbs.

Without having to go out and take a look at it, was wondering if anyone could chime in with a guess to make/model of this kayak and if its worth the effort to restore - kinda paranoid if I'll be able to find a replacement front hatch cover that fits properly....that and if its flaking off fiberglass ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Best to check it out
hatch may be an old valley or one of the screw ins and if need by some neoprene and a frisbee could work. If the glass is good and you have to see it. Check it out before its gone

Going to check it out tomorrow

– Last Updated: Mar-18-13 6:31 PM EST –

Besides looking for cracks and holes - what else to look for? Tips on how to tell if the fiberglass is about to go bad or is bad?

Have an appointment to check it out tomorrow - was going to do it today - but its raining - Chances are tomorrow, I wont have the car with the roof rack - so will only be able to check it out - will try to post pictures - any suggestions on particular locations/angles that would help identify/reveal the condition of the kayak?

Thanks again

look for
soft spots where the boat pushes in and for residue on your hand after wiping the boat

Make sure you can get in it …
You did not say anything about your size and weight.

It looks like it could be a real nice speedy boat but it might be a bit of a challenge depending on your skill level. Make sure you can fit in the cockpit. You can change the outfitting but if you have not owned a decked boat before, how well it fits is important.

As long as there are not major cracks or deformities in the hull, fiberglass boats are easy to fix. Just make sure it has not been left out in the sun so much that the glass has become brittle.

About me :slight_smile:

– Last Updated: Mar-18-13 8:52 PM EST –

Forgot to put that bit of info ;-)

This will be our 5th sit in kayak - started off with Rotomolds then moved onto Fiberglass. Still have the Rotomolds (Aquaterra Acadia & Dagger Baja) - but forgot how heavy they were when portaging/loading them onto the rack for my parents this past weekend.

The wife and I enjoy our smaller/narrower & much lighter fiberglass kayaks (22" beam, 14' length - 16" wide cockpits) - however it would be nice to have something a little larger in the event we go on an overnight trip or for a loaner when we have friends in town. - I am approx 5'6" 170 lbs (was bad this past holiday season ;-))

Thanks
Thanks for the tips - hopefully the seller wont be put off by me pressing all over on the boat :slight_smile:

Camping
Those small hatches won’t be much fun to squeeze camping gear into.

hmm…
Good catch!

That rear hatch would be a pain to stuff tent poles and other overnight items…

Though, I suppose if the back deck is totally flat I may be able to install a much larger hatch…craigslist to the rescue again…(assuming its still available and it actually fits)

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/spo/3569309847.html

hatches
I wouldn’t use that hatch, I know they’re pricy but there’s a reason kaiak sport hatches are used by most manufacturers.

Another option is to install a large hatch in the bulkhead behind the seat.

Of course find out if you fit and how the boat paddles first!

Pictures…

– Last Updated: Mar-20-13 1:51 AM EST –

Went to go check it out today - From the looks of it - it needs alot of TLC...

Pictures can be seen here:
http://bit.ly/YUNe50

The good news:
- Deck looks ok - no soft spots - just really faded
- After rubbing my hands all over the kayak - no signs of dust on hands

Not so good news:
- No stickers/etches/plates to indicate manufactuer/make/model/serial
- Hull area underneath cockpit area felt kinda soft/flexible
- A few deep scratches found in hull
- A possible crack (3") found on hull underneath cockpit area
- Hull looks like it was "touched up" numerous times - might just be cosmetic?
- Interior of cockpit was painted so not possible to inspect the fiberglass from that side
- Looks like it has been stored outside for quite a while
- Missing bow hatch deck plate
- No thigh hooks
- No bulk heads - no signs that they ever existed
- No foot braces - no signs they were ever mounted
- No real seat & no backband - Seats usually mount to the combing?

Measurements (rough)
16' 9" overall length
23.5" width
11.5" height (mid section of cockpit rim)

cockpit dimensions:
31" long
16.5" wide

Hull is soft chine

The Masik area is angular

The angular masik area along with lack of bulk heads and foot braces might be possible indicators that this kayak may be an early interpretation of the Igdlorssuit? - Pre Anas Acuta?

Any guesses on the make/model of this kayak?

Seems like it might be fun to try to restore this kayak/ modernize it (ie putting in bulk heads) - but not sure it would be worth it? -- For $500 more I could get a well cared for P&H Orion http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/spo/3656716458.html

Kinda wonder if the flex/softness of the hull area under the cockpit area is from sitting directly on it? - if so any leads or suggestions on where to get a proper seat bracket for this kayak?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thank you all again!

As I said on your new thread, I don’t
think that is a fiberglass boat. The inside texture in areas where the paint has been worn off is not consistent with fiberglass. Maybe it is an early effort at a “thermoformed” or acrylic kayak.

Others may wish to offer reasons why it “is” composite or fiberglass.

It is definitely fiberglass

– Last Updated: Mar-20-13 6:52 AM EST –

The interior shots clearly show the classic glass/resin color, weave and even what appears to be protruding glass fibers in the ends.

I have no idea of the brand or model.

The deckplates are standard fare at any marine supplier, so you should have no problem replacing them.

Judging by the paint lines in the cockpit, it appears that the boat originally had foam bulkheads. Minicel bulkheads would not be hard to make and even 'glass bulkheads aren't hard to fabricate.

It's somewhat hard to tell from the photos, but it appears that the boat may have been painted and may not have any gelcoat. If so, that would make it easier to repair and restore. You could sand it down to the glass, examine it for structural damage, make any necessary repairs, then prime and paint it.

The damage at the stern looks bad enough that it is likely to leak. Expect to do some fiberglass work there. The "soft spots" under the seat could indicate damage, but it could also just be due to the wide, relatively flat area being naturally more flexible. It's an easy area to repair or reinforce, since you have good access to both sides.

The stripe at the hull-deck joint looks to be largely cosmetic, rather than structural, but the inside seam appears to be well executed.

You can make a simple foam seat without too much work.

If you're looking for a project boat to learn about repair and restoration, this looks like a pretty good candidate. I've got some tutorials on my website: BrianNystrom.com It's a work in progress and I'll see if I can get the bulkhead and seat fabrication tutorials posted in the next few days.

Old kayak
I bought an old Sawyer Cruiser once for $25 that had been wrapped. It got me into the sport and I learned a lot about fiberglass repair. The boat performed fine for many years and I sold it for $400.

All fiberglass has a useful life that is shortened by exposure to UV light. Cracks or holes would not bother me, but soft spots, spongy feel, or flaking glass would suggest that its best days are over. You could add a layer of glass and epoxy over the whole boat and strengthen it, but it would be heavy. Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to take. Offer the guy $150 after you point out all the problems.