Cayak for Cost of Norway

Dear Forum Members,

I am a business trainer from Berlin (http://www.methoform.de) – currently being much too much involved into business :wink: So I was thinking of going for a „kayak expedition“ along the Atlantic coast of Norway up to the very North.

After some weeks of research in the Berlin shops and the internet I have found two kayaks that can also be regularly used with a sail: The Folbot Greenland II (my favorite) and the Triton advanced Ladoga 1 .

Due to the expected rough seas and three to four weeks of kayaking I am looking for (1) stability, (2) space, and (3) the ability to protect the kayak well against incoming water.

Does one of you have experience in using the Greenland II with a sail in rough waters and weather – or would recommend another well fitting kayak for that – and similar following – trips?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

If this isn’t a joke to start with…
Stay home and rent a video about this kind of trip. Anyone concerned with stability as a top priority in a kayak has no business even trying such an expedition unless you have other priorities than surviving it, especially new as well.

Ditto
Unless the OP is a seriously experienced sailor, this post reads like the ominous opening paragraph to a Safety article in Seakayaker magazine that doesn’t turn out well in the end.

What’s a cayak?
I’m thinking Norway must be worth billions, so them cayaks are definitely out of my league.

Some advice
Have you read Jon Turk’s book “In the Wake of the Jomon” … it might be a good idea to give you some feeling for trying to sail a small craft in coastal waters with strong currents created by tides in tight islands and fjords. It sounds like a good idea but it did not work out so well. Also you should see the blog of Klara Jansson & Evelynn Brattström two young ladies from Denmark who made the trip in kayaks.

http://www.norwegiancoast2009.com/norwegiancoast2009/HEM.html

I’ve lived on the coast of Norway and would recommend that you not do this trip unless you are a very experienced kayaker and have at least two other boats going with you. The sea is very unforgiving and especially in a few spots along the Norwegian coast.

obituary?

– Last Updated: Mar-23-13 7:26 PM EST –

Living in Sweden and having visited Norway once or twice, I'll join the gang saying that unless the OP is a pro-level sea-kayaker he should bury this idea 6 feet under before the idea does that to him. Norway coast is breathtakingly awesome place to paddle, but only if you can handle ocean tides, tide races, whirlpools, REAL waves, stormy winds and what else not. From what I've seen/heard it is not a place for someone in a stable kayak with a sail. Unless they want to become statistics. On the other hand, sea rescue in Norway is very-well funded and efficient. Provided you are good with radio and flares.

With no disrespect to the OP (OK, maybe some :D), unless you really are a pro-level kayaker - paddle 40+ km easily, qualified in rolling in storm conditions with a bomb-roof roll, surfing waves, skilled in re-entry and open-sea navigation AND are planning on having 2 buddies you'd trust your life to with you out there on the water - drop this idea here and now. Unless it is really a joke and you are pulling our leg here.

Take a look here - http://kajakkspesialisten.blogspot.se/p/thanks.html Anders paddled coast of Norway on 2011. He is a skilled paddler and equally skilled boat builder. Are you as good? If you are - you are in for an adventure of your life. If you are not - you are in for disappointment, if not much worse.

Edit: Just looked up your favorite boat. It's a 2-man canoe-like contraption. How are you planning on paddling it by yourself loaded with gear? let alone handle capsize of it?

I agree
To put it simply, this “expedition” you are considering is NOT a beginner trip, it is not even an intermediate trip. The fact that you feel you need to ask strangers to recommend equipment for you is a clear indication that you do not have anywhere near enough experience to do this. Anyone actually qualified to undertake a trip like this would not only know exactly what boat and gear they needed, they would already own it and be an experienced open water kayaker.

To understand why we are reacting this way: your question is like saying you’ve never skied before but would like suggestions for equipment to use because you plan to ski to the South Pole.

better options in Europe
Hi Michael,

The concern most have shared here. I a feeling I have as well.

Kayakig is not easy. Kayaking alone at sea is something that is some kayakers do, but that is I guess about 1% of the seakayakers. I think that those who do, have at least 25 coaching days at sea and 50 day of group paddling at sea in different circomstances.

This combined with lots of days on inland waters.

If you want to paddle alone this summer alone for a longer period in europs I would look towards the Donau.

You can reach me by mail if you want to.