Interesting North Shore Design

I just got a chance to look and sit in the new North Shore Ocean. Rather unique looking hard chine that vanishes about two thirds of the way back to the stern.

Pics

http://hudsonriverpaddler.org/2013/03/21/north-shore-ocean-something-new/

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

That’s a very…

– Last Updated: Mar-21-13 9:32 PM EST –

...elegant looking boat. Too bad that the weather is not so conducive for taking it out for a spin. Looks like a low rear deck, which most of us shorties like.

You better get back with an in depth report stat:)

Perhaps you can contrast it to something like the Xcite.

that is unique
Thats the most abrupt chine profile change i’ve ever seen. Honestly, it strikes me as a little clunky visually.

Water time
… Will tell just what this design brings to the party. My travel schedule was too tight to put this on the water and at the moment it’s the only one stateside.

I did suggest that if I was given enough caffeine and sugar I could try to see if I could get it up on step and start it hydroplaning. Not this go round.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

It is hard to say without paddling the boat what it will be like. There are plenty of new designs that aren’t very good.

First Demo -
This Boat hit the water today for the first time at Kayak Centre of Rhode Island. Customer Loved it - Bought it in the Zircon Blue color way(Special ordered - as this is the only one in the Country)

Did he/she…
…take it out on rough water? Looks like a fun boat. How’s the build quality?

usually very good
Seen/paddled 3 NS boats last year, build quality is excellent, gelcoat finish round the hatches could improve a notch, but great UK-made boats otherwise.

Build quality
Yeah, yeah, I’m biased, but if I didn’t like the way North Shore Kayaks paddled or the quality I wouldn’t invest in they’re being in my instructional fleet or in stock on the showroom floor.

North Shore is a division of Valley Kayaks so the QC you find in Valley is the same for North Shore.

As to wetting the Ocean, thatll have to wait till a few more are stateside.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Reminds me of WW Kayaks and Surf Boards
Some surf-oriented designs have these chines pr “rails”. I think I’ve seen a wave ski like this in the rear and some white water kayaks lately have similar rear ends too.

Will be interesting to see how it works on a sea kayak. Probably best in surf, but as you say, maybe helpful for flat water turns too…

Inazone
This hard chine transition to smooth chine is very similar to the first generation pyranha inazones circa 1998.

Rough Water:

– Last Updated: Mar-25-13 7:22 PM EST –

She paddled the boat at our shop (Flat) - It is to replace a recently sold Valley Anas

The Boat will hit the rough water soon.