Sustained paddling stroke

Ditto
I second all of this advice, it exactly characterizes my experience with the GP.

just a matter of getting in shape
Like running or whatever, it’s just a matter of getting in better shape. The difference between a weak paddler and strong paddler is not the paddle type - no magic paddle out there to make you a stronger paddler. Like every other physical sport, you iron out technique, and it simply takes work. Barring some special physical condition, you can paddle non-stop just like you bike.

Smaller blades for me, as well as
lighter paddles.

The most commonly used paddles are too big bladed for me.

Same for AP
Aleut paddle is very similar in this regard. Made for high cadence, low angle, long distance endurance paddling. Low impact on the body too.

Be Patient
You’ll eventually be able to paddle without frequent breaks like you do bicycling. Your body is learning a new movement and needs time to adjust. Kick it up to 3 days a week to help speed up the process.

Right away, I caught that you use a low

– Last Updated: Mar-25-13 7:11 AM EST –

"angle stroke".
Try a higher angle.
You also might want to think about getting a wing paddle.
Another thing you might want to do is some interval training.
It doesn't come over night. Just keep working at it.

Jack L

Just starting?
From your profile - your paddling experience is quite limited.

I would recommend a forward stroke clinic before you start investing in different paddles, unless it is a GP - there always is use for some wood around the house.

There is a small chance that your forward stroke is flawless, but that is really difficult to judge without having seen it.

Perhaps you could look for local kayaking symposia? - good place to meet other folks interested in kayaking and brush up on your skills.

Good thoughts
Thanks so much for all the ideas and suggestions, very helpful, will go to work on them.

Cheers, Saxon

Different paddling gears…

– Last Updated: Mar-25-13 9:40 AM EST –

Just as bikes have different gearing so do kayaks,
via paddle shaft lengths, weights, blade sizes.

Cyclists can use too high a gear grinding their joints
and causing themselves pain in a similar manner to
paddlers using too large a blade face putting lots
of stress on their upper body.

Spinning can be done with a paddle as well, so perhaps
having a "spare" paddle on deck might help
to change the cadence a bit during an outing.
Start with a heavier paddle and as you fatigue
then switch to the lighter paddle.

A musician drummer buddy of mine will switch
to shorter sticks towards the end of a long gig
to shave a few grams off the repetitive motion.

3 Stroke
I have a friend who has a kayak tour company and he taught me a stroke he uses. You take 3 strokes on your paddle, then rest for one stroke, then 3 more, rest one, etc. It doesn’t seem like much but over the course of the day it does seem to make a difference.

;<

GPS & pace yourself

– Last Updated: Mar-25-13 9:35 PM EST –

Doing that helped my consistency. When paddling alone, I tend to sprint, rest, repeat. The GPS pacing helped me stay on task when training for a race.

My suggestion
Combine time on the water with stroke instruction and then practice proper technique.

Most of us who are just learning to paddle need to learn and practice torso rotation in our forward stroke technique. When you start perfecting maneuvering strokes and your roll you’ll learn that it’s ALL about torso-rotation.

My two cents.

Good luck.

paddling vs. cycling
Boats never coast. You are always breaking water. It’s like cycling uphill all the time. So you have to pace yourself. Pace doesn’t mean slow, it just means that until you develop the stamina, you learn what your body can do for extended periods. In the spring, I have to really pace myself from overheating in a drysuit and from not paddling all winter.

By Fall we are like animals on the water with highly enhanced conditioning and never really tire out.

I go through the same thing on my bike.

Sprints really help
For me, sprints are the fastest way to improve form and endurance. What I try to do is five sprints of one minute each at a fast pace (where I cannot talk) with five rests between and a fast cruising pace (Just able to hold a conversation) and repeat for more times.

Doing this every other day really helps me. It is amazing who much smoother my stroke is the next day. I also think I get back up to summer endurance levels quicker.

I’ll be working on it this spring and let you know how it goes.

Another thing that sometimes helps is some really really long paddles. Go as far as you can in 8 or 10 hours. Stop as little as possible and do not have any rest stops be longer than 15 minutes. I think after you can paddle three hours regularly it is possible to do a long paddle once or twice a month until they become the regular Satuday paddle.

a book
Find “the Barton Mold” by Bill Endicott of USACKT.

Push Off The Balls of Your Feet

– Last Updated: Mar-27-13 1:32 AM EST –

Instead of your heals and this should put to work the large leg muscles that have already been pre-conditioned by all your bicycling and also pump needed blood back up to your heart to reduce fatigue.

so many ideas
Wow! 21 replies, thanks again to all, will be on the water this Easter weekend to start working these thoughts into my paddle time, Cheers, Saxon

2nd seadart’s post
Try a high angle paddle and stroke. Make sure your stroke isn’t too long; that’s often why people don’t keep a continuous speed. Try messing with your cadence.

Efficient Low Angle Stroke
That’s good for 300 miles or more. Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNaooG1l-P0

Just nice and easy w/o feather too!