Fastest Recreational Kayak

If racing…
a used pack canoe like the Placid Boat Works spitfire might be worth considering. Still double bladed to paddle, but one of these may be faster than a lot of beamier kayaks.

Race on flat water or down river?
Not much adventure in flat water. If down river you might look for a used old school downriver whitewater boat low volume long pointy ends - these go cheap nowdays ~$300 if you can find one.

It makes sense
So then, for the same paddler, over 20k (13miles), what could be a time difference between a 14’ and a 16’ boat? It still confuses me to do this math. Thanks.

depends on the engine.
Differences in boat speed is more important the faster you go.

For me, at my Max sustainable effort over 20k the difference might be about 20 minutes.

For a stronger paddler the difference would be more. For a weaker paddler it would be less.

Help with math, but not the final answer

– Last Updated: Mar-27-13 9:50 PM EST –

First, the math because that's the easy part. Ignoring the fact that waterline length will be slightly less than boat length, hull speed of a 14-foot boat is 5.76 mile/hour, and that of a 16-foot boat is 6.16 mile/hour (note that it's actually pretty silly to report these speeds to the nearest 0.01 mile/hour, but this is just a math exercise anyway).

When paddled at hull speed the whole time:

The time for the 14-foot boat to finish the race =
13 miles x 1 hour/5.76 miles = 2.26 hours, or about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

the time for the 16-foot boat to finish the race =
13 miles x 1 hour/6.16 miles = 2.11 hours, or about 2 hours and 6 minutes.

Based on that alone, the 16-footer should give you a better time. However, it will take more effort to keep the longer boat at top speed, and no two boats are identical in all respects other than length so any comparison like this is affected by more than what's in this over-simplified way of looking at things. It's also unlikely you'll be strong enough to push either boat at its top speed for the full duration of the race. Still, if both boats were paddled at the identical speed (at least for "fast" speeds), the shorter boat would be closer to its maximum and that would almost certainly require more effort, so a strong paddler should be able to finish the race in substantially less time with the longer boat (on the other hand, the shorter boat will be a bit easier to paddle at slow or moderate speeds, all else being equal). The difference in time between the two boats cannot be predicted with anything close to the degree of accuracy that seems to be implied by the math. Throw in various other factors and it's even possible you'd be faster in the shorter boat, especially if it's a substantially better design than the longer boat, but on average I'd bet on the longer one giving you a quicker time.

my approach
I know I can sustain about 4.5 knots over any significant distance in my boat.

The speed vs drag curve for my boat shows that speed has 5 pounds of drag.

Therefore my sustainable thrust is 5 pounds.

Next I looked at the curves for some short boats and some 14 foot boats and saw at a drag of 5 pounds there is about half a knot difference.

rec boats and the word speed
are mutually exclusive. If you go looking to get a rec boat with even a notion of enjoying some speed you will be sorely disappointed. The problem with rec boats is the width. To fit an adult they need to be wide to get enough floatation. That combined with the poor paddling position and long usually heavy paddle mean you are not even going to get close to hull speed. If you can at all swing the cost, an old used glass boat will be miles better.

Curve is the word

– Last Updated: Mar-28-13 12:23 AM EST –

The graph is not a line, it's nowhere near being linear in nature

Power vs speed kayak graph rockets skyward almost exponentially
due to the frictional forces on hull shapes

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID23194/images/Speed_versu_Drag_Force.jpg

The paddling horsepower needed almost doubles going from
5.5 mph to 7 mph due to frictional drag.
Athletes need an ouput of 0.1 – 0.2 horsepower
to achieve 5 - 7 miles per hour
World class marathon kayak racers can achieve 8 mph and more
at near 0.3hp output.

here’s one in Toronto

– Last Updated: Mar-28-13 12:29 AM EST –

Actually two, now that you've told us where you are.

If you can deal with the funky paint job, here's a racing kayak for sale in Toronto PLUS paddle for$490. Light and designed specifically for speed. Would take some getting used to but if you learned to paddle it you would smoke most people in regular kayaks. Not likely to be many customers for it -- offer them $350 and see if they'll deal on it:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/boa/3705700889.html

Also an old Olympic style whitewater boat that should be pretty fast with the right paddling skill for $300 (I used to have one like it). They tend not to track very well so you would have to get the skills right. And fit could be a problem if you are a big guy.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/boa/3696206929.html

Pamilco 140
Need ah’ say more…

Kid from Ft. Collins

Conduit 13
Not for open ocean outings, but if speed and cost-effectiveness are your main points, the Conduit 13 is very fast compared to other rec kayaks.

real world
Probably about .25-.5 mph. Of course depending on a bunch of things.

Ryan L.

a short anecdote for you

– Last Updated: Mar-28-13 1:21 PM EST –

I once paddled my sea kayak with a racing canoeist who borrowed his son's rec boat and used his single-blade canoe paddle. Even though he was pushing a huge bow wave, I had to work to keep pace with him.

Getting your stroke down is the first step.

After that, decide what conditions you want to paddle in, and shop used. There is a whole world of used sea kayak deals out there, approaching the cost of a new rec boat. If it's speed and conditions you want, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Speed is all relative
None of my boats would be considered speedsters, but conditioning, form and a constant pace will beat a fast boat nearly every time. Being in a boat that feels good to be in is worth more than a marginal speed advantage in my opinion.

Thank you

Fastest recreational wheelbarrow.

red?
NM

Old “Red” joke from USSR days.
Factory worker departs each day with wheelbarrow full of sand and dirt. Guards sift through contents but find nothing.

Eventually another worker asks him what he’s stealing.

“Wheelbarrows.”

Not that funny, but anything might do for a laugh in the USSR.

agreed

hah!
That last line was a bonus!