Romany vs Zephyr or Tempest

6’4" size 15 foot at 185lb and …

– Last Updated: Feb-28-13 7:20 PM EST –

With a 36"+ inseam I have long legs attached to my size 15 feet...

And, I could live with a Tempest 165 barefoot for "workout" paddles (i.e., a couple of hours at a time out and back). Have not really tried it for longer. The later models (post 2010 or so) have the seats further back; the seats on the older ones can be easily repositioned too (requires 2 new holes - easy to do).

Yes, not much foot room in the 165, but these are not barges - they are meant to be snug fitting. The 170 I can paddle with my paddling shoes on comfortably and without repositioning the seat - that feels rather spatious now (but seemed cramped a few years ago when I first sat in it)...

Romany
Among many benefits of the Romany is that there are many around and you can pick-up a used composite Romany for less than a new poly boat.

I’ve played in dozens of boats and few are as much fun as a Romany. I’ve put more different people in my Romany and seen them smile broadly as they get the feel of the boat.

There are better all round boats (e.g. Tempest 165). There are sexier boats (e.g. Nordkapp LV). There are currently more faddish boats (Delphin, Gemini, etc…). But there are few that are as supportive of skills development and ease of handling in an array of sea conditions.

You will not outgrow a Romany. Do not even consider the poly version.

Find a Romany, try it see how it feels to you. If comfortable get one.

Hopefully this thread…
Hopefully this thread and the varying opinions about what would work, what would fit, etc. and how some people say yes to one boat and others say absolutely no to the same boat has convinced you (the OP) as to why butt time is important…

Absolutely.
I’m starting lessons on Sunday, so at least for now I know I will be testing a couple of differen boats, even if they’re not the ones we’ve discussed in this thread.

Fit indeed!
I love the manueverability of the Delphin and that lovely sound it makes when you break the stern loose and skid.

But I could not paddle one for moe than 45 minutes or so without everything from my waist down going numb, regardless of adjustments. I also could never quite find the sweet spot for a consistent hanging draw . Probably not the boat’s fault, but it does go to show that boat fit has everything to do with what one can, and can not, do with it. A least comfortably and easily.

My Romany, on the other hand, fits ME like an old pair of well broken-in Saucony track shoes. I can paddle it for hours without fatigue ( or shin splints :wink: and stroke combos, draws, braces, etc.are instant, effortless, and instinctual.

So, as everyone here says, "dem, demo, demo … ". And for more than ten minutes a ride.

Best,

Lewesbound

opinions
as you can see everybody has an opinion as to which boat is the best for you. What I’m hearing is that they are all good boats—my advice is not to be an a hurry to buy one–try out as many as you can and then go with the one that suits you best. At your height and weight you have a variety of choices. And don’t believe those folks who say you are too big or too small for a boat–try it yourself before deciding—what one paddler may find as cramped, another would find snug and secure, even responsive. Good luck and have fun paddling

not necessarily II
I’m 6’, size 11 shoe and have been very comfortable paddling a few different Tempest 165s.

Foot wear is important. Two pair are for in my ww boats as my other paddling shoes don’t fit in them. My mukluks don’t comfortably fit in half my sea kayaks.

So for our class this weekend
I got to paddle a p&h Cetus, glass. I couldn’t believe how comfortable and well fitting that was. Towards the end of class (3+ hours of jumping in and out of the boat) I was starting to wish the seat was maybe a little more comfy. But overall, the fit was superb. Extremely out of budget of course. My wife was in an alchemy 14. She really liked it, super nimble and comfortable. We’re certainly thinking of something along those lines for her. We also liked the tsunami 140.

Just thought I’d send out an update.

Cheers!

Seats
Sounds good. Given your initial responses to these boats, the other two will probably grow on you better than the Tsunami.

Seats can be tuned to be more comfortable for long paddles as long as the initial comfort is there. One of the nicer things about having your own boat is being able to mess with it - rearrange the rigging, glue in minicell foam to soften up the hard spots etc.

Cetus Budget Alternative
If you liked the floorplan of the Cetus (MV? HV?) then you will likely react well with the 3 layer poly version of it, the Scorpio. 17’ rather than 17’8" or 17"10". Internal height is a bit bigger then the Cetus MV. Weight is about the same as the longer Cetus in Fiberglass. Price is $1900 vs. the $3900 starting price of the composite Cetus.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Thanks for the info
As usual. Will continue researching.

Capella
If you are considering used, a P&H Capella RM 166 would fit all of your criteria. I don’t think they are still exporting the Capella RM to the USA, but there are tons of used ones out there (at least in NC).

Cetus, Scorpio, Alchemy
I have both a Cetus and Scorpio and love them.

I’ve paddled the Alchemy a number of times - it’s a very fun boat, but bear in mind it has a few drawbacks. It’s slow, has problems with leaking hatches, poor skeg design, and requires more attention to keep it tracking straight.

The Scorpio has a LV model, if you have a chance see how your wife likes that in comparison.

Capella fit
Caution on the Capella. It’s a different floor plan and performance vs. the Scorpio/Cetus format. The new Capella now by Venture Kayaks (P&H’s day touring single layer plastic works) is a very tracky kayak with higher thighbrace position than the older 3 layer P&H Capella creation.

Again, boils down to getting on the water and determining what works best for you.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Capella RM 160
might be a better fit for the OP, the 166 is the higher-volume version. It’s an excellent kayak but not as fun as the Zephyr! I also found the seat and especially the thigh hooks more comfortable in the Z.

Follow up by OP (me)
So, after trying several boats (some I liked, some I didn’t, some I loved but were outside my budget) I got to test the zephyr 155 and made my decision to get it. It fits like a glove. I just got back today from my first rolling class, and it was a pleasure to be in it. It was extremely forgiving on my hip snap, and really comfortable to lay back while swinging out of the water. After three hours of flipping over in the pool, I can’t wait to go back next week.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

congratulations…
thats nice to hear. i love my Z155rm. mine is yellow…

Yup
congrats on sifting through all the opinons and coming up with one that worked for you. FWIW, I think you made a good choice from what you said on your OP. That boat can take you very far up the skill ladder.

All the best, tOM

Z 155 is great choice
you are going to love it once you get in some moving water. Great plastic boat.

Update 2
I put together a short video on my rolling sessions earlier in April. I’ve been on the water with the Zephyr almost every weekend since. I absolutely love how this boat fits and handles, so once again thanks to all for the input as I made my decision to get it.

Video -> http://youtu.be/qBszdcgT6-U

Cheers!

Luke