Advice on piece needed for eletric bailr

Hi all,

I have a sit on top and last year rolled it when the hatch came a little loose and it filled 80% with water. I was glad I had headed back to shore and was only 10 meters from dry land.

I would like to put in an eletric bailer and have scouted most pieces. The only thing I think I need is the part where the tube from the pump runs into it from the bottom and the piece is glued / secured to the deck and provides the "spout" for the water to flow over the edge of the kayak. (Not my best desciption.)

Any and all advice for a source appreciated.

Thanks,
CancukOnWater

some ideas
Find a boat shop. They have through hull outlets for the output from the pump. Simply drill a hole and mount it well above the waterline, attach the bilge pump outlet to the barb and that covers the output. For the input, if the pump works with an intake tube, any hardware store should have the tube in the size you need.

Check valve?
As Sloopie says, you want a thru-hull fitting from the boat store.

Also be aware that the outlet will become an inlet if you are taking water over the sides of the boat. Depending on where you mount it, that may or may not be a problem. You might consider adding a check valve to prevent inflow of water.

~~Chip

CANUCKONWATER-HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT
tightening the hatches, and/or checking seals and resealing them? No offense, but an electric bailer seems like a bit of an over-the-top response to a not-an-entirely-uncommon occurrence…

When I was strictly an SOT-er, I flipped the boat three times unintentionally, and several times quite intentionally. In no cases did I take on appreciable amounts of water -though I did learn a somewhat painful financial lesson: fasten or tie down anything in the boat that you do not want to lose! I had to replace a great pair of fins, a snorkel, and a prescription mask because they went diving without me…

But the boat? My old Scupper Pro TW was just fine. And your hatch must have been quite loose, because I got the old S-Pro flipped back upright -in a chop in the middle of a cut between two islands with the current running -as soon as I got over the surprise ending and splashdown, about 30 seconds max -and it hadn’t taken on any water that I could discern.

Before you spend the dough on a bailer, why not check the hatches, make sure they fasten down tight and have good seals, and then practice some dumps and self-rescues? You might be pleasantly surprised at your boat’s improved seaworthiness, and better yet, your ability to expedite a much drier self-rescue, as you

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Why … well …

So last year I tipped my kayak and I thought about it and bailing a SOT is no fun because the hatch has to be open to do so.

This is cheap when compared with many other things in life and it just might save mine.

So, it will be a project later in May.

I do want to find a through the hull device with a cap though. I do know they make them as I have seen one.

Thanks,

CanuckOnFire

Why … well …

– Last Updated: Apr-19-13 12:10 AM EST –

Sorry, I hit post twice.