Wave Sport Ethos - Anyone Tried It?

Based on the feed back here I passed on the Prijon. I went to the outfitter up the road and looked at a Remix XP and a WaveSport Ethos. I need a bigger boat at 6’1" 220lbs. I sat the Remix XP 10 and it sat great but I thought it was huge at 110 gallons. I also sat a Ethos 9 (they did not have a 10) and thought it was just a bit tight but I really liked the boat. Nice outfitting and seemed very well built - pretty heavy. I thought it had more rocker and was more WW oriented p had the foot brace vs the pegs and foam deck support like a WW boat. Since I want this to run some high volume flat water creeks/rivers with some class 1-2 WW I thought the Ethos would be a good choice. There is a fair amount of flat water in these creeks and rivers so the skeg may be nice. I am also going to check out the Pyranha Fusion with Connect 30 and a Pyranha Karnali (left over WW boat from last year this weekend).

Since I am a beginner I want a easy to learn on boat that I can work my roll on - and just have a good time paddling on the rivers and creeks here. Anyone have any thoughts on the Ethos?

Not much help, but
I recently took a look at an Ethos, too. I agree with your general, eyeball impressions. Except, note that the Remix XP does have a foam pillar. If the one you saw did not, then it was either incomplete, or LL has done a model year downgrade that I was not aware of. Best features on the Ethose appeared to be the firewall foot brace, and the ratchet thigh lift. I question, though, having a rope/cleat skeg control. I did not ascertain whether you could actually set it halfway, but, it’s not like you’d really be doing that with this type of boat, anyway. The Remix boats have the best skeg control in a crossover, that I have seen – positive, and not likely to break. The Jackson Rogue has a lockout that breaks. I have not seen the setup on the Pyranha Fusion.

These boats are more WW than Flat

– Last Updated: Apr-17-13 9:06 AM EST –

If all you need to run is the occasional class 1 or 2 with lots of flat water, you might think of a short sea kayak instead. The ones you picked are much more WW oriented and as such are slow and overbuilt. Something like WS Tsunami 135 and a slew of other similar boats might be better for what you describe.

That said, if you see yourself venturing more into class 3 and higher WW, then the ones you looked at will be a better choice. The Karnali is a river runner that will be a pig on the flats for long stretches - slow and poorly tracking by flat water standards, plus it might feel unstable to a beginner in moving water compared to the wider and more stable XP 10 for instance.

You can learn to roll in any of the above. A full foot plate IMO is very nice to have, compared to foot pegs, for active paddling (but it eats-up space in the front).

A thought
These boats were designed to a little of everything, which they do. But they don’t do any one thing very well. So what you “may” get is a boat that can be a slug on flat water and a barge on whitewater. I am being very general here but that “can” be the case.

I assume that you are shopping new. If this is the case I would try to demo before you buy. I have done several demos and my favorite boat in the demo has always been one that didn’t look the best on paper.

Another option, which is what I would suggest, is to buy two used boats. Spend some time on the water and see what you really enjoy. Then splurge for a new one that meets your needs exactly and sell your used ones for what you paid for them.

either boat will make you happy,
I have only checked out the ethos online and I own the xp10. Just realize you’re going to give up some speed in the flats with both of these boats. Price and outfitting would be the final factor for me if I was looking to purchase one of these two models.

been there done that
alot of these Piedmont rivers and creeks have long pools and eddies and dam backwaters in between rapids that make paddling them in a ww kayak or even decent crossover a real chore. we’ve had alot of fun running them in Tsunamis instead. (note the 135 is a low-volume model; the 125/145 are the big-guy models.)

I suggest taking a look at the Jackson Rogue and Journey. They made some design changes to the Rogue that improved it over their previous Allwater crossover. It has a slight V at the bow that helps it paddle decently on flatwater in between the fun stuff. The Journey is similar to the Tsunami but more maneuverable.

Check
That is kind of what I figured about a x-over. Like an SUV - can do about anything just not super great at any one thing. But maybe that is what I need to get started - especially with the class 1-2 rivers that have the long flat sections with volume and current but no real WW. They would probably be great for that. And once I get experience and better skills (balance) I may decide a need a more specialized WW boat like a Burn.

actually, eithier boat- the ethos or xp
are solid whitewater performers. If you end up getting a Burn or other shorter ww boat it will be because of your perception of the boat or based on other folks perceptions but probably not on the boats actual handling. I’m getting my xp out at least 50 days a year on class III and IV. I’ve probably got 150 or more totals runs on class III and IV water on my current xp10. It just not be considered a “cool” boat to paddle but it works fine on class III and IV.

I think it makes little sense

– Last Updated: Apr-18-13 4:46 PM EST –

To have a WW crossover like the XP for the flat waters if one is also getting a river runner. The XP will indeed work very well for going down class 3 and 4 but will be sluggish on flat water.

These cross overs are very good for multi day tripping in WW, but will be boring on flat water... As Sapien said, a short touring kayak in the 13-15 foot range will be nicer and is fully capable of class 2 water, unless the creek is really narrow and obstructed. Of course, one can float down high-flow flat water in just about anything, but if one wants to paddle, then a faster boat makes sense.

The crossovers will be very comfy and reassuring though and probably the OP will be happy with them for his intended purpose too. Just if he will be getting a long river runner like the Burn, it makes more sense to me to get an even longer more touring oriented boat for the mainly flat and easy WW stuff... However, because the crossovers are actually very good at serious WW, then one can just paddle them there and not get another long WW river runner like the burn, but instead get a playboat ;)

Thanks
for the good input about the Xp