Paddle Floats = Fraud?

agree with veryone
Paddlefloat is the first recovery skill taught to sea kayakers as it is relatively easy to do. But most more advanced sea kayakers won’t use that as their rescue of choice (if my roll failed, I would do a scramble if alone or T rescue if I had others around). As others have said, a paddlefloat rescue does have its limitations, both based on the skills and training of the person doing it and the conditions. But it is part of the toolbox of skills one should know.

Now looking at what the sponsonguy claims, that we need a foolproof recovery method. I am pretty sure that his sponsons are not foolproof. I am almost tempted to get a set and test, but think I’d rather just ignore this guy.

tried it
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I bought a pair of those sponsons and set up my Mariner Express (which I have since sold) for them. I did a bit of practice with them, and they seemed to me better than the paddle float. They took longer to deploy but it was much easier to re-enter. It was very stable once you re entered and for bailing out the water. A bit of a hassle to then un-deploy them.

Don’t let your dislike of the originator dissuade you from giving them a try.

when a sales rep is dishonest
and disingenuous to the point he is, it’s hard for that to not reflect on his product. A good product doesn’t require dishonesty to sell.

I’m sure sponsons are another tool in the toolbox, just as paddle floats are.

But…
…what about rule 91, never buy anything from a crazy person? I think I’ll wait until a sane person steals his idea, then try it. Wait, that violates rule 73, never buy a product sold by someone who stole the idea, dang…

True
If a reasonable person were selling them, folks might take sponsons more seriously.

Years ago I had a similar setup that was supposed to make a sailboard more stable for beginners. It did work – to a point – but had disadvantages as well.

Foolproof ?

– Last Updated: Apr-25-13 6:53 PM EST –

Is the sponsoon system foolproof

Sponsoon system requires CO2 cartridges doesn't it?
CO 2 cartridges are foolproof?

Sponsoon system requires flotation bags doesn't it?
Flotation bags are foolproof?

Canoes & kayaks require paddlers.
With the sponsoon system; even unskilled paddlers are perfectly safe in any condition.
No training, no practice, no skills, no pfd, no decision making skills, no trip plan, no radio, no lights, no paddle float, no tow system, no first aid kit necessary.
Your boat is outfitted with sponsoons; you're good to go!

NOT!
BOB

A nut case

– Last Updated: Apr-25-13 1:56 PM EST –

Many's the time I've "started" to read one that guy's rants, but never once did I get far. His approach is so over-the-top and full of made-up accusations as to be intolerable to read, and he completely misses the point that taking a boat that has certain performance attributes and converting into an ungainly life raft may not be what most good paddlers are looking for. I can't help but wonder if a person could possibly be so totally intolerable in real life as he makes himself out to be via the things he writes. Surely not, but then, I'm wrong quite often about other things so...

right. nothing is “foolproof”
(particularly to us kayakers and canoeists!)

it sort of makes me sad
I agree. His message gets completely lost in his rhetoric.

This guy is on such a rabid crusade that he’s really making a spectacle of himself, and it makes me feel a bit sad for him. Something is missing…

If I met him, his crusading would always be on my mind.

Re-entry roll
The paddle float can serve well as insurance for this technique.

Seen his shtick before.
I believe this guy is angling for legislation requiring his product on every paddlecraft. He is definitely performing for the nannies and those who would want nannies.

I never thought of that before
You might have hit the nail on the head.

Give him…
Give him a free cell phone, and tell him,

“Call someone who cares”.

And give him some free cheese to go with his whine.

Some people will bitch if you hang em with a new rope!

BOB

Mellow Out
I don’t see why everyone is getting so excited about the guy. I don’t know him, only briefly skimmed his rants, and the rants of those that don’t like him. I don’t care about him one way or the other.

However, those sponsons are reasonable and well worth a try. They are not great, neither is a paddle float. I don’t carry the sponsons any more, but they do function and are an added backup.

Ignore all these personal attacks, even if they are true, and think about the sponsons.

mellow out?
The OP asked for input on the nutcase’s site. People are answering. If you don’t like the answers - don’t ask or don’t read them.

Anyone who truly believes in sponsons ought to have a nice chat with this guy and ask him to “mellow out”, because he’s not helping the cause.

Seems to me
if one wants to be helpful to the OP, it might be slightly better to talk about the sponsons, not the web site or the purveyor. I am certainly not a believer in the sponsons, however I actually mounted them on my boat and experimented with them.

The sponson guy
He has an agenda. 'Nuff said.

But since you are new to this, you should also learn sooner rather than later that ALL rescue options have a failure point. The paddle float loses its value in waves, at least for most people. The roll can be a non-starter if you have insured a shoulder in the course of getting upside down. The cowboy requires physical strength that that may not be present if you have been battling difficult conditions for a while on the water. And I am sure others could run that list on just about forever.

Hence the two basic suggestions of long boat kayaking -always know more than one self-rescue, and paddle with others who can help you if your personal options run out.

Sponson Guy is a small antelope,
a dik dik.

Harmony offers a serviceable sponson kit for anyone who insists on trying them.

I’d like Celia and kayakmedic to explain how one capsizes in a sea kayak. My Necky Looksha Sport sits so low and steady under my considerable weight that I cannot believe it would capsize under any conditions under which I might have put to sea.

Reboarding, whether with a paddle float or sponsons, is so unlikely for a 6’ 5" paddler that I would rather put my time into brushing up on rolling.

Mellow out?

– Last Updated: Apr-25-13 7:29 PM EST –

I was mellow when I stated my opinion.
Didn't ask for anybody's permission to state it.
Won't do so in the future either.

Helpful suggestion to OP: Don't buy any products from anyone who acts as if they've has been off their medication too long, and engages in tangential rants & raves on the internet.

There is no piece of equipment; there is no technique, that will assure your complete safety if you go paddling. Want to be totally safe in your canoe or kayak? Keep them & yourself out of the water.

Like many on pnet, I have read sponsoon guy's tangential rants, and raves on several occasions in years past. The guy is a one trick pony who needs new material. His way, and his equipment
will always be the only correct solution to every problem.

NOT!
BOB

To start…

– Last Updated: Apr-25-13 8:23 PM EST –

you have to spend a decent long day out on the sea.

I am not being flippant. Tiredness and waves have put plenty of quite decent paddlers into the water. I just looked at your profile and don't see an indication that distances well offshore for an all day paddle are what you do. That is where even those with decent balance can go over.

But your concept of an unflippable boat is not realistic. I can only guess how our friend managed to flip a Pungo in flat water, though I had told him he had that coming if he didn't loosen up just two weeks before. I have no idea how my brother-in-law flipped over a Swifty by lifting up his hand to wave to a friend on shore. But he did capsize, it happened right in front of me. I should note that he had sufficient bulk to sink the darned thing pretty well, which appears to be the situation you describe.

To be more grim, I don't know how the young man on his honeymoon a couple of fall seasons ago flipped over off off Mt Desert Island or the older woman the year before or the two young women who were paddling in transition boats between Peak's Island and one not far from it somewhere in the last couple or three years. But they clearly did because they were healthy when they got into the boat, most were young, and their bodies were nowhere near the boat when they were found. They didn't spontaneously eject after losing their life while sitting in their kayaks.

I have seen and handled other capsizes. If you haven't been in a group when someone capsized in a kayak, my best guess is that you have not stretched your range offshore to get caught in nasty, or don't admit lesser paddlers to your pod.