Lower Susquehanna River Weekend Camping

-- Last Updated: Apr-25-13 1:29 PM EST --

Looking for trip planning ideas for a weekend trip kayaking/camping along the Lower Susquehanna River near the PA/MD border. We're skilled kayakers with 18' plastic boats and experience camping in deep wilderness. We're looking for a quick weekend trip, preferably a round-trip that would not require a shuttle. Pretty views/abundant wildlife is a definite plus. I've been looking at the Conowingo Dam/Havre de Grace Area, but I'm open to any an all suggestions. Portages and hiking are not an option due to a disability. We'd be willing to car camp in a campground or camp in an individual wilderness site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ideas
First, there is a Susquahanna River Paddling Trail you can look up on the net. They have established many campsites along the river, mostly on islands. But, for the section you are talking about, I don’t think they’ll help. There site list seems to stop at mile 73 and I think you are talking about below that. Mile 0 is in Harve d’Grace. But, it would be worth checking with them.

Secondly, talk to Brad at Starrkmoon Kayak in Delta Pa. He is up the street from the Cold Cabin launch and familiar with that area, which I think is known as Conowingo Reservoir or Pond. You should be able to get good advice from him. http://starrkmoon.com/

I’ve been told there are campable islands there. The only time I tried to find them I ended up commando camping on a privately owned island, which I don’t like to do.

Have fun,

~~Chip