Hurricane 140 vs 140 Sport

I have been looking for a Kayak for a while now. My wife and I own Hobie Kayaks (which we really enjoy) but I am starting to think that I want something additional and more traditional for areas that I can’t take a SOT. I live near the Columbia River in the Portland Oregon Area. I have looked at several Kayaks and even posted a question about the Eddyline Equinox vs. Journey a while back… I have a problem with significant leg swelling and the Eddyline kayaks just did not allow for my legs at the end of the day (when they are most swollen). I have found a local dealer who sells Hurricane Kayaks and I am very interested in an Expedition 140 as it looks like a good combination. The sport model with the very large cockpit opening seems to fit best…and I am a bit worried about re-entry in the standard version. I am also losing weight (109 lbs so far) and have about 40lbs to go so I may fit better in he standard cockpit later… My question is, what do I give up in usability with the larger cockpit? I know they have spray skirts that will fit the larger opening…looking for opinions.

Thanks!

No Deltas in your area?
I suggest you try the Delta 12.10 and compare it to the Hurricanes. You won’t regret at least making a comparison.

Hurricane sort Exd…14’
I have a 14’ sport exp. The large cockpit works great for my limited knee flex. The boat paddles and tracks great. The only trouble I have found, is open water rescues seem to be trouble. With the xxl cockpit, the sides of cockpit flex down, causing assisted rescue a little problem for xxl paddlers. Self assit paddle float rescue works fine. I have used this boat for loaded weekend trips with no trouble. Good luck with your search.

Delta
The same dealer also stocke Delta and the cockpit is just too small for me…awesome boat though!

Sport 140
So no trouble with slightly rougher water? I don’t have any interest in being out in “raging seas” :slight_smile: but want to know if I venture out on the Columbia and the wind kicks up that the boat will handle it and he larger cockpit isn’t a liability.

Thanks for all the help!

Sit in
Have you at least sat in both the Sport and non-Sport versions?

A cockpit of 21"x38" on the non-sport is pretty good sized cockpit. Not sure how big you are but I am big and sturdy and have no problems getting in something that sized. I would be more concerned about the deck height and if you would be able to get your legs in once you sit down. If you have large, long, or poor flexibility in your legs you might have a problem but a cockpit of this sized for big paddlers might be as small as you can go. I can fit in slightly smaller cockpits lengthwise but I have to slide in feet first.

The advantage of a non-Sport cockpit for a larger person is you can better contact with the hull for control. This is not the preferred cockpit size for those little people out there but they work well for those of us who are larger and active.

On the larger cockpits rec/touring kayaks like the Sport you are trading control for ease of entry. Also having a bigger opening allows the potential for water to get in the kayak and spray skirts can implode from too much water pressure on them. So you are limiting yourself to slightly calmer waters.

Not sure what your leg problem is but there are things you can do to relieve pressure on your legs when you kayak. Again this comes down to spending sometime with a dealer, sitting in kayaks, taking them out for demo, etc.

A good fitting kayak is probably tighter then most people think it should be and probably not your first choice without some lessons or lots of butt time in different kayaks. Being big does limit your choices a lot.

sit in
Thanks @shadyclip

I am 5’8-9" (though I used to be 5"10…) and currently about 240 lbs. (I was 350…)on my way to 200-ish (my Dr. wants to re-evaluate when I get to 200). My legs swell fairly severely due to surgery I had for metastatic cancer about 10 years ago. They gave me the statistics that essentially no one survived more than 2 years with what I had and the Docs are still amazed that I am alive at this point. I am amazed but also very thankful and grateful…and happy about it! It has changed my perspective totally, I really look at each day as a gift now.

Anyway. The tradeoff is that they had to take out all the lymph nodes in my groin (bilaterally) and lower abdomen (I am a medical professional so I will try to keep this general!) which causes something called lymphedema. I get fairly massive swelling, it is estimated that on any given day I am carrying an extra 15-40 lbs. of fluid in my somewhat short (29" inseam) legs. This is what makes a traditional kayak so challenging (that and my size 11 1/2 feet!). I have had an opportunity to sit in both, and they will let me test them in the water (which I plan to do) but I think you are getting to the heart of my question with the statements about needing to stick to calmer water and the possibility of the spray skirts imploding. While I would love to get the Kayak sooner rather than later I am trying to figure out if the smaller cockpit would truly be preferable (which it is sounding like it truly may be) and if that is the case I should probably wait until I am done losing all my weight before making a final decision. The weight loss really doesn’t affect the swelling significantly at all, but losing the fat does make my legs smaller so I may be able to fit more comfortably in the smaller cockpit. The larger sport cockpit would be just fine right now.

Thanks for the input, all is gladly welcomed!