I'm thinking about getting a Yakima Whispbar to carry kayaks on my 2012 VW Golf 2.5L. Wind noise and gas mileage are important issues for me, and the Whispbar supposedly has the least wind resistance/noise and little effect on gas mileage. It's worth paying extra for me, if the claims are true. Anyone here have first-hand experience with Whispbars?
Specifically, I'm wondering:
- Are they truly as quiet as claimed?
- Have you noticed any effect on gas mileage?
- Do you have flush or through mount version? Do you recommend one over the other?
- It is possible to carry two kayaks with both flush and through versions. Does the extra width of the through version make a big difference if carrying two kayaks?
- What type of mount do you attach to the Whispbar to rest your kayak on? Any recommendations? I currently have Yakima Mako and Hully Rollers, but may change to something less conspicuous and/or easier to remove.