Permit for inflatable kayak - North NJ?

Hi all,

I need to know if I need any kind of registration/ permit for my inflatable 11’ kayak for North New Jersey lakes ?

From my searches it seems like there’s no need for a permit for inflatables, but I want some confirmation ?

Thanks.

you do not
need to register a non motorized inflatable that size

Ramp Maintenance Permit
Some reservoirs in NJ require a fishing license or Boat Maintenance Permit to park and use the waterway for recreation. For example Round Valley and the Assunpink Reservoirs require this. Although i wouldn’t really consider those in “North Jersey”.

A complete list and more information can be found at the bottom of the website listed below.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wmaregs.htm#ramp

Permit for inflatable kayak - North NJ
Thanks bushwacker and packduckrock1! Sometimes I go to Harriman State Park in NY and it was actually the Palisades Interstate Park’s $30 fee requirement, even for inflatables, that made me really question the NJ rules for inflatables.

Quoting from their website:

“A PIPC (Palisades Interstate Park Commission) boat permit is required to operate any craft (including rentals from outside the Park) on any waters under the jurisdiction of the PIPC.”

http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/BoatinginthePalisadesInterstateParks.pdf

Unbelievable
Thirty dollars to go paddling; you’ve got to be kidding. What does it cost to take a walk–$50?

No kidding …
… It’s in the link above, and what’s more is that the permit is only valid for ONE season :frowning: Aha, haven’t tried walking there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m charged for that too :slight_smile:

fees
When I looked at the regs it seemed that by some interpretation, just about anything over 12 ft but a surfboard should be registered. My 16 ft canoe is most certainly not registered, I can’t say I know anyone that has registerd a canoe or yak. I don’t know if that particular tax just doesn’t get enforced.

Keep your PFD on and keep a low profile and perhaps they just leave you alone

fees/permit/registration
That’s what I assumed - no fees/permit/registration for < 12" canoes/kayaks - which it could be true for most of NJ lakes, however PIPC (it includes Harriman State Park in NY) charges you for the permit of any craft, I even called them on the phone to confirm.

I could get lucky if I don’t get any permit, but I’m just gonna pay $30 and be done with it. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

No, but…
Some state run facilities have entrance fees, some require a fishing license or ramp permit. The Delaware river has a separate launch permit and, of course, fee. Some are free. County runs places may or may not have a fee. Enforcement is spotty at the smaller lakes. But there will be somebody checking at Round Valley on summer weekends.

Same experience
up here too, spotty checks here and there … Anyway now I have a better idea of what charges I should expect. Thanks a lot.