Paddle as Outrigger

Has anyone rigged their kayak with the ability to attach a paddle behind the cockpit to make an outrigger? The paddle would have an inflatable float at the other end just like the usual paddle float rescue technique.

Slipping a paddle blade under shock cords does not work.

Using a quick release buckle does not work.

Any creative folks out there who have thought about this?

read Freya Hoffmeister’s book
I believe she used two floats and a paddle so she could sleep on her multiday crossing of the Gulf in N Australia. I can’t remember how she attached it.

I would think some sort of deck mounted fixture shaped to accept the shaft with latch of some kind holding it down would work.

For fishing, sleeping or what is it for?

People also just strap two floats to their boat.

yeah. that was insane!
Gulf of Carpentaria. Sharks and big water, and crocs waiting on the shore.

That woman has brass…somethings!

I have about zero trust in the touted
paddle float and re-entry routine.

Confused…
I am unclear what this question has to do with executing a paddle float self-rescue. It just referred to how to place the paddle float. Or am I missing something?

As to the technique, I have known of people who had a real capsize and found it worked, granted in relatively calm conditions. When I am being good practice it. But it is a minor use for me because if I am paddling with others, just about any assisted rescue is going to be faster.

GP
Five or so years ago there was a thermoformed boat marketed with a molded slot behind the cockpit to hold a paddle as you say. It also accepted a modular outrigger and float design - can’t remember the name of the company though.

There’s a similar technique with the Greenland paddle - the paddle is tucked under leather straps on the fore deck, and extends down into the water. The inherent buoyancy in the wood paddle (along with the blade area) acts to significantly stabilize the boat against rolling. For max stability, two paddles can be used, one to each side, which allows entering a very narrow ocean cockpit without doing an embarrassing beach roll. It doesn’t work with bungee deck rigging - it has to be something with minimal stretch.

Paddle as outrigger
Extending a bare paddle under straps doesn’t do much for buoyancy. Even the wood GL paddle doesn’t help much as far a buoyancy. However, the extended paddle does a great job of damping (slowing) the roll. Used when entering or exiting the kayak, it works great. It slows the rolling action enough to allow you to compensate with your balance.

Bungie cords are useless for anything except to hold a water bottle or jacket.

We use leather with sliding toggles both in front of the cockpit and behind it. If properly adjusted, this arrangement holds the paddle as if were bolted to the kayak.

A float can be used under the extended paddle, but with a little practice you will find the training wheels aren’t really necessary.

You can make a major improvement to a production kayak by adding a couple of straps behind the cockpit to replace the bungie cords (or just leave the bungies and add the straps). Place the paddle across the hull and tighten the straps enough to hold the paddle. Then, slide the paddle out. Done properly, it makes a major improvement. Do this adjustment in advance, so it’s all ready to go when needed.

Delta
Delta kayaks have a slot behind the kayak with two solid straps (not bungees) to hold a paddle.

Hmmm
Good call - I think that’s the one, although I’m remembering a whole outrigger system - maybe I’m mixing up Delta with Easy Rider kayaks, according to the spouse I may be prone to conflation…