confused

I bought, last summer, a Future beach fusion 124 primarily to use in lake erie. I am heavy, at 285 and the kayak is rated at 250. It would seem that being overweight would make the boat unstable, and unsafe, but I have had it out in 2-4 footers, up and down the cuyahoga in cleveland and along the cleveland breakwall (in 2-4 footers) with no trouble. I use a skirt, and have flotation in the boat just in case, but I’ve never felt in danger. The only thing I have noticed is the stern is low in the water (the boat sits low normally, even with a lighter person), but have had following waves with no problem. Are they lying about the weight limit? Should I be more concerned? Should I just not worry about it?

If not carrying gear …don’t worry
As long as you are not planning on loading it up with campign gear or lots of fishing gear I would not worry about it.

The brand is a knock off brand sold by big box stores. They buy kayaks and put the company name on it. Somebody probably had to take a guess of what to put for the capacity and thought 250 sounded about right. If your rear deck is really low in the water, the issues are stability in rough water and bad trim for paddling. If it’s not bothering you, and the rear hatch stays dry, then not a problem.

No camping, rear hatch always dry
I won’t be camping or fishing out of this kayak. I have a canoe for that. Rear hatch is always dry, except for the usual spray occasionally. I would say I have about 1.5-2" of freeboard at the stern

stern squatting
makes for less speed as more of the hull is underwater, but speed is not exactly a priority w. that model.

Enjoy it for what it is. When/if you start yearning for overnight and multi day trips you’ll want something different anyway.

just make sure
you know how to re-board in deep water when you tip over. Because eventually you will, and anyway it’s good to know beforehand how to do it and how the boat responds. Good advice for anyone regardless of weight & boat of choice.

At your weight in that boat you have very little freeboard which will affect the ease of self rescue. If the stern is awash as you try to climb in or vault in a self rescue usually is more difficult, as the boat is destabilized esp. in waves - which is when most capsizes happen.

Try it out in calm shallower water. Swamp your boat and try to get back in. Good info, good practice.

That is amazing!
Two footers are waves over my head. I have been in six foot waves but I did a lot of swimming and crashing. This is serious stuff you are doing in a rec boat. Do you have problems with the skirt imploding from the waves.

As far as weight limits go, I know people usually want their boats stern heavy for surfing so if it is working for you in those conditions, then you most be doing something right.

I see what you did there :slight_smile:
glad someone brought that up. Waves get taller with each telling, giving us marvelous stories to share as we

PADDLE ON!

I salute you sir.

Waves
Were longer roller type waves on the lake, so the boat just rose and fell with the waves. No breakers, I stay on land if there are breakers. This was the mouth of the cuyahoga river in cleveland, steady wind coming straight in plus the occasional boat wake.