waterproof gear canoe camping?

Any recommended waterproofs for canoe camping?

I’ve been a few times but the last time I was underprepared for the weather and it rained all day. Luckily it was summer so it was warm enough during the day whilst canoeing but when we stopped for lunch it got a bit cold.

To be fair, I only had on a $3 poncho from Walmart

My current waterproofs are around 3000mm and am wondering if that’s enough. It would need to be breathable but also warm enough when out in exposed areas like a lake.

Get the Campmor catalog
and browse through it.

There is tons of rain gear in there, and it is all good.

You can get good rain gear from $20 to $150 depending on your budget.

Jack L

3000 mm
Well, 3000 mm is considered very good for a tent fly and floor, at least in North America.

We use urethane-coated ponchos.
You don’t need Goretex for breathability, and a quality poncho can serve for other purposes, while Goretex et al cannot.

I also have a pair of urethane coated leggings or chaps that slip over each leg and tie at the waist. Light, inexpensive, breathes well, waterproof.

Rain Gear
I bought a jacket and pants designed for hikers. It is coated nylon and works well. You need something that will allow arm movement. On sale, name brands (North Face, Marmot, Patagonia etc.) will run you less than $75 for top and bottom. Personally I don’t like ponchos but a good one is an inexpensive way to go.

3000 mm is measly
and not the Hillberg standard nor those tents from Mountain Equipment Coop. The latter have a 10000 mm waterproofing rating.

There has been a decreasing mm rating over the last few years. No wonder footprint sales go up. Floors are flimsier. Probably has something to so with the current demand for lighter.

g2d’s quite correct when mentioned that

– Last Updated: Jun-27-13 2:13 PM EST –

GTX isn't NEEDED, but breatheability sure helps the comfort-level for us geezers. The simplest being, as some skiers still do, layer underneath the light, breatheable shell...to the desired temperature. I think Spring and Summer layering materials are the toughest to hit the "homerun" on, because there is more than one level of activity...going from the sightseeing walk to athletic work in the deep woods in high heat and humidity with the rain...and then the temperature (and humidity level) can often change...