Viper 10.4

Viper
capndan77, we bought one also for friends, but can’t use it yet here either. What type of handle would work well on the sides? The plastic seems kind of thin to me for a handle. Thanks.

Two straps and less reliance on handles
Two straps, foam blocks and if it is a bare naked roof just run the staps around the boat and thru the doors to clamp inside the car. I am assuming you have tripped over cam straps, if not go find them.

Use the handles on the ends to restrict the boat from going side to side via bow line to under the car’s bumper, or you can put loops onto the hod bumpers and create a V-shape with a long rope. Stern rope if you can find something to tie to. but with a good bow line you’ll see soon enough if it is starting to move.

I completely agree with the concept of not relying entirely on the handles - for any boat no matter how well installed. You may need those to aid in an on-water situation, as in a capsize, so it’d be silly to wear them out just getting the boat to the water.

What lakes in northern MI?
You are surrounded by a couple of very big ones that rec boats like these should not be on. Are you talking smaller inland stuff?

No handles on sides of kayaks
Kayaks don’t have handles on the sides, except maybe sit-on-tops because there isn’t much to grab. These Vipers weigh very little and have a plenty big cockpit to hoist over your shoulder. No earthly reason to put handles on the sides.

Cockpit cover
I want to purchase a cockpit cover for mine but they ask for the deck size and the range is like (1-7.5). anyone know what deck size this is?

Inland lakes
Yes, we are in the middle of an area with numerous small to medium size lakes. Will not be heading to the Great Lakes even though two are within short driving distance. Still ice on these smaller lakes and the two nearby rivers are at near flood stage and moving fast. Patience is the keyword right now. It’s tough though, we want to get into the water. As far as handles, I realize that they may not be necessary but they are handy when carrying if you find that the person on the front bumps their calf when carrying front and rear ropes. A website “topkayaker.net” has strap handles for sides around $10 a set with a hardware package extra. Key here would be sure they were mounted center for balance and do not interfere with paddling.

Viper 10.4
I just tried my new Viper from Menards on the Kickapoo. Fast and twisty river, Moderate downfall obstacles and heavy hydraulics. The Viper actually outperformed my Dirigo 120 for stability. It’s a flatter hull design so you loose some steering stability but you’re not gonna fall out or roll unless you try hard. If the deal comes around again I’m gonna dump my Pelican for another Viper. Plenty of cargo space for weekend minimalist. Only question is how it will work as a gear hauling tow for the longer trips.

Viper 10.4
I just purchased a Viper 10.4. I have never owned a kayak before. I love it! I have gone out every night since I bought it, and it is light and easy to use. I plan to use it with my seven grand children, and I think it will be perfect for them.

Gear-hauling tow?
You plan to tow a boat to bring along extra gear? I think you might want to do a trial run before actually going on a trip that way, and see if you still think it’s a reasonable idea. Towing another boat is no fun, though if it’s completely empty and you make the effort to rig a non-wandering harness (which still won’t be perfect), it’s tolerable.

Viper kayak
We purchased 2 of them this spring when they were n sale .

They are a great kayak for kids, they are wider and not tippy at all

Not too heavy either.

They dont have a skeg for faster or windy conditions but they are a geat value. We caught the 169 deal with the 11% rebate

A steal for 150!

Viper
We got the same great deal, $149 after rebate, and it included a paddle!! My wife likes it better than her Old Town Otter. She says it’s more stable, and the seat is more comfy. But it’s not only for kids.

pfd
Just wanted to chime in since the one term that appears to be absent from this thread is “PFD”.

Not judging, but seems like at least some of the new viper owners may be relatively new to paddling.

For you new folks. Please wear it.

Viper 10.4
Here it is, nearly a year since I posted with questions about the Viper kayak. Can say that I have been well satisfied after purchasing the first one and then a second and then a third! They have been everywhere, rivers, small lakes and some larger ones, too. They are stable, light and easy to paddle. I feel very safe with grandsons paddling their own (ages 7 and 10). These were bargain priced but turned into good investments. Have used for camp trips as well. Found that t-handles are NOT strong enough to tie down so use roof pads and cross straps. PDF is mandatory but find ones comfortable for kayak use. Happy yaking!

Viper 10.4 kayak
We have three of them from Menards and we love them. They are not for white water rafting that is for sure but to go down a nice river or lake they are perfect.

Viper10.4 experience
I have been kayaking for about three years. I have a 14’ Pelican as my main boat. I am not an elitist - I just want something that I don’t have to freak out over if it gets dropped or if I drag it across a rocky bottom. I am 6’4 and 1/2" tall and weigh close to 290 pounds. I bought the Viper 10.4 Pelican and of course, more maneuverable. The foot rests are a better design and the seat is more comfortable. At no time did it feel like I was overloading the boat - it was very stable. Based on my first impression of using it for bout an hour, it seems like a great kayak for someone who is looking to kayak for a half day trip. The boat lacks a skeg, but didn’t fishtail as much as I expected. The bottom of the boat is fairly wide and has sort of a shallow double hull sort of design.

viper 10.4 sprayskirt
Has anyone had any luck buying a sprayskirt for the Viper 10.4?

securing Viper 10.4
We installed eye bolts and U-bolts to the front and back for securing and security (theft.)

Viper 10.4
This was my first kayak and I have to say for the price, it’s a winner, wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it! I’ve had some eyelets break fairly quickly but bought some replacements from Bass Pro that were sturdier and I’ve had nothing but fun with it! Just bought a 16’ sea kayak and will be trying different waters but this little baby has been in both rivers, coastal great lakes in 1-2 waves (don’t recommend unless close to shore, it could swamp with 1 wave and put float bags etc in front & back just in case) and many smaller inland lakes. Love it! Had it for 2 years and have about 125 miles on it.

re Viper 10.4
they are not bad Kayaks, i just got one a few weeks ago, this is my first Kayak so i am by no means the authority on them, but it seems to be well balanced, very wide, they are a Hybrid Kayak.

Spray skirt for Viper 10.4
I’m interested in one too if anyone knows where or which one to use.

Thank you!