17ft

thanks for the correction, Yanoer
I stand corrected on the Eclipse hull profile. I was just going by various user reviews. Sounds like the Sea Lion/Eclipse models are more similar to the Aquaterra Chinook than to the Scimitar I had? Got a beat up Chinook in the armada now and it’s a stable barge.

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I may end up just getting the conduit 13, I’ve asked around about it an asked ppl who have it and they all have had good things to say about it. Been searching Craigslist within a

100 mile distance for awhile (where I found the 17ft). Found a Carolina 14 but the guy said it was already spoken for >:(

Too big

– Last Updated: Jun-12-13 12:12 PM EST –

At your size, an Eclipse would probably be too big to paddle comfortably. There was a smaller version, the Shadow, which would be a much better fit. At 5'9" and 155lbs, I preferred the Shadow to the Eclipse.

You fit in the "smaller paddler" size range. A kayak that fits you will be easier to paddle well.

If you can, try to find a shop or event that lets you demo a few different boats. Another option would be to take a class that uses the type of kayak you're interested in. You'll be better prepared to paddle safely and make a good buying decision.

Sit-on-tops are the most popular style for fishing. Sea kayaks are appropriate for exploring the Great Lakes. i encourage you to get more butt-in-boat time before making a decision.

Used boats can be a great way to get on the water.

No! Period.
I found the weight of the Eclipse 17 listed variously between 60 and 68 lbs. That’s close to half your body weight.

The differences between the Conduit and the Eclipse are extreme. If you’re a beginner get the Conduit and upgrade later when you feel ready. The Eclipse 17 is probably the last kayak you should be considering.

Read the reviews. http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=343

People up to 6’4" and 240 lbs describe the Eclipse as a roomy fit. Those folks are twice your size.

Plus, the stability is described as “fair” or “marginal” by some experienced kayakers.

Fuggeaboutit.

Cleveland Craigslist
There’s a guy selling a Current Designs Kestrel for $550 near Cleveland:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/3862549965.html

Similar to the Conduit but a slightly higher quality boat (with a tad better resale value). A tad slimmer and a hair lighter, too.

Eclipse 17 / Sea Lion stability is very
good for relatively calm paddling conditions. I never had mine in rough conditions.

The only “stability” related issues that newbies might have is getting in and out of the boat. Once in, not an issue at all.

The two I owned were composite, not plastic, so my experiences may not apply to the plastic versions.

Eclipse 17 / Sea Lion is flattish mid
ships.

but… hatches
If memory serves, the Conduit has 2 bulkheads and hatches, and the Kestrel does not. For the OP: dual bulkheads and hatches add flotation / safety as well convenience / storage.

Kestrels
Composite 140 has two bulkheads and hatches.

Roto 140 does also

Roto 120 has one stern bulkhead and hatch.Float bags could be used in the bow.

user reviews
LMAO - great just great.

not laughing at you w-leaf.

at the ppl who reviewed it, likely owned it and who don’t know what a V hull is lol.

Has slight V, but ain’t a Nighthawk 16.

Lake Erie - Wind -Waves - Fetch
Keep in mind where you launch and the wind.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/images/erie.jpg

FETCH - refers to the accumulated time

the wind is in constant contact with the water,

imparting energy into the waves.

It is too big for you!

– Last Updated: Jun-12-13 7:29 PM EST –

I have one and I am 5'-9" and 155 pounds.
Like others above have said, the Perception Shadow which is it's little brother would be ideal for you.
My wife who is 5'2' and 112 pounds has the Shadow

With that said both of them if they are the older model plastic ones can take a likin and keep on ticking.
The only time I use my Eclipse now is in down river class I and mild II WW. They are almost indstructable

Jack L

Just quoting the reviews
here at pnet.

Kestrel cockpit
is probably too large for this individual. It’s for a rather large person.

I frequently …
…hit West Branch. I launch from the site on Rock Spring Road and you are welcome to give my boat a try. I’m almost identical to you in size and just happen to fit my 17 foot boat nicely… in fact it fits better than my previous 15 1/2 foot boat.

It all comes down to fit and intended usage and there are no hard/fast rules but that Eclipse does sound as if it would be too large for you.

Anyhow, if you want to give my boat a try, just let me know.

Allow me to split the hair
Just to be 100% accurate, fetch is a measure of distance, not time. Of course that can be translated to time = fetch / wind velocity.

But willi is right, longer fetch equals a longer time for the wind to transfer scary amounts of energy into a steadily building wave state. Being at the end of a long fetch with a steady wind can be bad medicine…

Heritage featherlight 14?
How’s bout this one? The reviews seem good and I can pick one up at a pretty good price. How does it stack up compared to the conduit 13. The only thing I’m not wild about is that it only has one hatch but I can overlook that I suppose.

Also could anyone give me dimensions of a j-cradle? I plan on building my own.

Here’s a pic of Erie…
…from last October taken from one of my paddling locations. I opted not to kayak that day:

http://g2.img-dpreview.com/EBE829C5B7794D2387FCD0BFBCCAAF8A.jpg

A “great” lake indeed
Lake Erie is 241 miles long and 57 miles wide

with spots 200 feet deep, often averaging 62 feet deep.

Plenty of potential for a rough ride

-even when relatively near the shoreline.