What kind of Kayak do I really need, for

New to kayaks, in fact know almost nothing of value. However, plan to get into them to fish and explore bays and flats on Texas coast. So, what should I be looking for, in the way of kayaks, gear…etc? What do I really need to know and have? Anyone want to recommened a kayak for this type of general need?

Absolute
must have’s besides the yak/paddle is a good PFD.As for the kayak I would go try as many SOT’S that fit your budget allowing for the paddle/PFD.Your build and storage space comes into play as far as the boat size and paddle length goes.

depends on you
We don’t know how heavy you are or tall or how old. Go see a local dealer and start demoing a few.

Some guidelines
First, there are many kayak models that are well suited to that kind of paddling. I’d recommend that you go check out Texas kayak fishing (I think that’s the website’s name, but Google it). See what most people have and use to get an idea of the “pedigreed” kayaks used in that water for your purpose. That will give you a good idea where to focus your attention.

That said, a longer kayak will tend to give you more speed when paddling.

A wider kayak will tend to give you more initial stability when paddling. (higher initial stability means it feels less “wobbly”)

A Sit On Top (SOT) is usually far more convenient for fishing than a Sit in kayak (SinK).

In addition to the basics, which are a kayak, a paddle, and a PFD, you’ll need your fishing basics. Those are a rod, a reel, line, terminal tackle, and something to attract fish. If the something to attract fish are artificial baits, then you need those. If it’s live bait, then you need a way to keep it live while you’re paddling. You’ll need a way to keep your fishing tackle secure. A rod holder is the most convenient way to hold your rod. I prefer Scotty brand. Do not get Berkeley brand. Every rod holder I have seen fail has been a Berkeley brand rod holder.

Don’t go alone your first few times. Try to find a club or someone who is experienced. Go out with others who know what they’re doing the first few times. You’ll pick up from them what additional safety gear you need.

If you’re going to be on the water more than an hour or two, you should have an ample supply of drinking water, and some food. Put the food in a dry bag.

In cold weather - EITHER cold water or cold air, but definitely when both are cold - your list of safety equipment and skills increases substantially. Cold means if the sum of the water and air temperatures in Fahrenheit are less than 120, it’s cold and there’s risk. That’s a rule of thumb. You can what-if that to death. Don’t.

• Big D

I’ll reply
You asked what kind of kayak and got a lot of valuable – but unasked-for – other advice.

Be sure to demo or at least research a Hobie Pro Angler. Designed expressly for fishing, stable as can be, comfortable, and you pedal it, not paddle. That means your hands are free and you use your much stronger legs instead of arms for propulsion. It’s almost exactly like riding a bike.

It was asked for.
He asked for what kind of kayak to get, not what specific model. Knowing what makes kayaks feel one way or another, or perform one way or another IS answering the question about what kind he should have.

• Big D

Good advice from a knowledgeable…
…fisherman/kayaker.

Best Cheap Fishing Kayaks

– Last Updated: Jun-18-13 4:02 PM EST –

I found a great resource check out http://www.bestcheapkayaks.com They have some great info for what kind of fishing kayak you are looking for.

"Stay Dry"
For the coast find a boat that rides high in the water like an Oceans, or a tarpon. Leash your paddle and anything else you want to keep. Most of all get a good lifevest and wear it. Find your info on the tides stuck in the mud is for the fiddler crabs. Current going out are pretty strong,be aware of them. You should have a lot of fun because at the coast you never know what’s going to come up. A lot of places that sell kayaks will let you demo them before you buy. Find one that is comfortable for you. Talk to some people who paddle the area and observe what they carry. Get involved with a paddle group if you are by yourself. Be sure and bring plenty of bait!!!

All due respect…
…there is not a single boat on that website that I would recommend.

Coastal paddling
demands more from a boat and paddler than inland lakes and small streams - except for turning ability. Your kayak will need to be sufficient to overcome wind and tides. Go long. Don’t settle for anything under 14’. Preferably even longer. Sink or sot is up to you. But longer will be more stable and faster. You can make any touring kayak into a fishing kayak. Buy hull performance first, and accessories last.