Would you buy a folding kayak that....

was manufactured in 1983? It is a Nautiraid solo that appears to be in good shape. Just looking for something inexpensive to take when my wife and I travel by air.

Under what circumstances would you
buy a motocross bike made in 1983? Were they still making Bultacos then?

If I had no other source of info, I’d try to compare the '83 Nautiraid’s construction and details with what they use now. And I’d examine the skin for UV and other damage.

I have an '82 kayak that is one of my most prized possessions. But it’s like an old motocross bike, kind of tricky if you don’t know how to compensate.

Sure
Check the wood and the skin. I had a 50+ year old Klepper that was fine

I Remember
buy a motocross bike made in 1983? Were they still making Bultacos then?

If I had no other source of info, I’d try to compare the '83 Nautiraid’s construction and details with what they use now. And I’d examine the skin for UV and other damage.

I have an '82 kayak that is one of my most prized possessions. But it’s like an old motocross bike, kind of tricky if you don’t know how to compensate.

Bultaco’s were hot bikes back then till the Japs showed up!

If i had the chance to buy a…
83 cr 500 Husqvarna in good shape I would definitely snap it up. Quirks and all! But no Bultacos as they stopped making them before 1983 and were way to quirky for me even when they were current!

I have to admit the newer folders are lighter, easier to put together and where the Nautiraid uses wood the newer folders use aluminum. The thing is, I have been on many beaches where I wished I had a kayak with me and there were few rental places near by.

But now all the drawbacks are being brought to my attention like, set up time, tear down time and not to mention drying time and I am starting to lose my enthusiasm for folders.

Maybe a ride on my 1973 cl 350 Honda will remind me that just because something is old doesn’t mean it’s no longer fun ride and worth dealing with some quirks.

old Honda and folders
If I found a '74 Honda CB350 four-cylinder like I had in college in reasonable shape I would buy it in a heartbeat.

On folders, I know quite a few people with elderly wood frame Kleppers and Folbots. Well-maintained they have a long useful life. You might get more feedback over at the folders forum: http://www.foldingkayaks.org

As a long time folder fan (my first touring kayak was a folder and I have always had at least one in the armada) I have to say that the “hassle” of assembly is often overstated. The effort involved is, at least in my opinion, more than counterbalanced by the convenience and relative lightness of the boats, especially when you consider the cost, headaches and time considerations of renting when traveling.

Yes, one usually has to pay $25 to $50 each way in excess baggage charge when flying with a knocked down folder, but when you consider a rental in most areas for a competent kayak is $50 to $100 per day, the bottom line is that a half hour to 45 minutes for setup is a small price to pay.

And the lightness factor is pretty significant particularly for us smaller (and/or older) folks. The typical folder is 25% to 50% lighter than a hardshell of similar dimensions.

There is also the security factor on a trip of having your kayak locked in the trunk of the rental car or in the closet of your motel room.

A 350 four in reasonable shape?
You would be sitting on some history if you had one. Not to mention something that’s worth more than it was when new!

Probably not
Last thing I would want would be to take a folding boat on a trip and find that parts were broken and I couldn’t replace them easily.

I suppose if it was super cheap, I might take a chance on it after setting it up and making sure it floated and no leaks were present.

Check for mold. Bring someone who is mold sensitive to ‘smell’ it. They will know for sure.

Bear in mind that if the same model was available in 1983, it was probably 30-50% of the current new price.

Suz

technically I “have” one
I left my vintage CB350 four with a friend when I moved temporarily to Michigan in 1996 (it had less than 10K on it – I was terrified to drive it in MI due to the crazy drivers there) and he somehow “lost” track of it. I still have the PA title in my name. I check Ebay and Craigslist regularly in hopes it will turn up some day – forlorn hope, I know. I’d recognize it due to modifications I made to it. Terrific bike!

Actually, I typed that incorrectly – it was a 1972, not a 1974.

I have a 1980 folbot
It is stil very seaworthy and in good shape.

No reason not to if it is in good shape
Look very carefully at the skin first. Is the rubber smooth or cracked? Cracked rubber would make it a pass. How about the deck, any cuts, abrasions, or rot? If the skin is OK look at the frame. Broken pieces can be replaced. Any wood rot? Any sign of abuse? Take it for a paddle. If it paddles well then have no fear.

If the boat is in good shape, and there is no reason why it wouldn’t be if stored and handled properly, there is no reason to be concerned simply because of age. These boats are extremely durable.