Looking for a magical boat

I am looking for another boat. I am very rough on them so a poly or thermoplastic is preferable. I currently have (in order of preference) WS Zephyr 155, Dagger Alchemy S (modified), Dagger Alchemy L, WS Tsunami 165, and a Necky Manatou 14, I also have a Pyranha Fusion S for limited rough water use. I am 5’11" 200 lbs and most of the water I see is less than 2’ swells or choppy lakes.

I am planning on replacing the Tsunami (the station wagon) for another boat capable of hauling 325lbs of camping gear, but I also want it to be lighter and have a better glide characteristic. I thought I had a contender in the Boreal Baffin P2 but it looks like a scaled up Zephyr, and I am looking for some thing different from my other boats. If the QCC 600 was plastic and rudderless I would buy it in a second. I am limited to under 17’ 6" for transport reasons (I pull a fifth wheel trailer)

The idea of chewing up a lay-up boat or wooden kit boat makes me sick, am I going to go crazy looking for this mythical boat, or learn to deal with composite boat issues?

What I Did

– Last Updated: Jun-22-13 5:35 AM EST –

I got a 'glass Tempest 165 and moved the seat back. Very comfortable. After I wore a hole in the bottom and patched it myself the new started to wear off. Then the sun bleached out most of the color on the deck. Then I ran over some oyster beds. I got over that 'keep the boat pretty' thing.

Prijon?
I hear they are tanks/barges

Considered Venture?
The UK made Easky 17 from P & H/Venture is plastic, Brit style, good cargo space and less than half the price of the QCC600X. Maybe even cheaper yet if dealers are selling off the Easky 17s because Venture is replacing them with the similar Cappella 165 (another rugged poly high volume but nimble kayak you might want to look at – same mold as the composite Capellas.) At 17’6", 23" beam, 58# (lighter than the Tsunami)the Easky is comparable in size to the Tsu, but being more Brit style it is lower cargo volume: 39 gallons in 3 hatches. (the Cappella is only 35 gallons). Good looking boats, too.

I’ve got the smaller Easky 15LV and love the heck out if it for just about everything, from sea to stream. It’s great in rough water, fast in smooth and I even took it (inadvertently) down 6 miles of Class I to III creek last month, banging it off rocks and sliding over ledges. I like the hard chines and tracking. I have never felt I even needed a rudder with it.

I’ve used a friend’s Tsunami before and the Easky’s are gazelles compared to the Tsunami water buffalos. If you read reviews of them, the Easkys are considered a great bang for the buck with performance (and even weight) similar to composite boats costing 2 to 3 times as much.

Used

– Last Updated: Jun-20-13 5:21 PM EST –

Consider a used 'glass boat. All the pretty pre-worn off. Composite boats really can take a lickin'.

I did not realize
that Venture comes out of the same guys that produce Pyrannha, love the outfitting, hate the skeg cord control, I have a hard time adjusting it. With a boat that long the skeg is probably not needed very much. The smooth chines make me like the Ventures on paper.

Between Zebra mussels and concrete erosion control, I really do not think I have the ability to not to cringe on landing in rough surf with a work of art.

Station wagons…

– Last Updated: Jun-20-13 11:27 PM EST –

...makes me think of the QCC Q500. They come up used fairly often on p-net, which might take the sting out of rough landings. It can haul a ton of gear, I don't think a Q600 will carry the load you mentioned.

If you really don't want composite, one of the Delta thermoform boats might do the trick, like the 15.5 (they call it a minivan) or the 17 performance touring which can be had with a skeg.

I looked at the Delta
I liked the weight, but felt loose in the cockpit, like I needed pillows surrounding me to get a good fit. I also have become very anti-rudder.

Part of my problem is I like the feel of a LV boat, but still want the space to haul food and water for 5 days out.

Maybe I need to figure out a way to take water and ice out of the storage needs. I have always resisted water treatment systems because I do not want to set up a science lab when I am out having fun. But water and ice are my main reasons for getting a station wagon.

valley
How about the valley aquanaut lv. some used ones might be available. 17 3 ish. good boat but i dont know about camping volume.

P&H Scorpio/Delphin
Scorpio = More Glide

Delphin = Hyper nimble

Both three layer plastic.

Have fun.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

composite
I am a plastic boat guy, myself, but what you are asking about really sounds like a composite boat to me. Some sort of 17’ or longer boat, like a Valley Nordkapp or Avocet.

There are plastic versions of both of these, which you may want to consider, but the description you give really makes it sound like composite is the way to go. You don’t need to be that much more careful with composite over plastic. And some of the reason people are less careful with plastic (they are so heavy that they drag rather than carry) is offset by the lighter-weight (carry-able) composite.

Try this one
Eddyline Raven. www.eddyline.com

Which Delta did you try?
The Delta 16 is quite different from the others. Different fit.

15.5 Delta.

How about a
Current Designs Sirocco? Back when I was paddling SINK’s it was my favorite boat. http://www.cdkayak.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=149&SID=fd54091fc0a9435ff626a19ff2073b95

16 and 17
The performance touring 16 and 17 are narrower and lower decked than the 15.5.