Canoe portage blocks ?

Does anyone know of a supplier of canoe portage blocks that clamp onto a tubular thwart?

I don’t want to drill through the 1" tube,

And I need something that won’t rotate on the tube.

I am screwing around trying to fabricate one, but am wondering if there is any that can be purchased

Jack L

Try this
http://www.paddling.net/sameboat/archives/sameboat280.html

Making a yoke of paddles tends to
cause pain to your ears.

I suggest these by Bourquin boats. Aluma yoke pads

http://bourquin.wcha.org/yokes.html

That is not what I am looking for
Jack L

Yes, the ones you show are the ones
I am going to make, with some revisions

I don’t like all those tacks.

My biggest fear is with them rotating on the aluminum tube.

I figure I might have to have some rough surface tape around the tube.

I know I can get them tight enough with a wrench, but I want to be able to with wing nuts.

Thanks,

Jack L

wimp
just replace the aluminum thwart with an Ash yolk from great outdoors Provision and get either clamp on or drill through shoulder heel cups like we used on big blue in the 90 miler. You are taking on about a 1b and half but it is worth it. I Carried big blue on all the up hills and most of the flats and had no problems. I personally prefer the clamp on type since you can adjust as needed…

Drill or get square aluminum thwart
What’s wrong with drilling one hole as long as you have it filled with a tight fitting bolt?

Alternatively, replace your cylindrical aluminum thwart with square or rectangular tubing, and then clamp around it.

A pound is a pound !
I already removed the ash yoke and replaced it with a tube. That is what I am getting ready for, and lightness is the name of the game

Jack L

Two holes = weakness
Jack L

Heck Jack
Your partner is younger then you, ask Nanci to carry the boat,

I am taking your advice
Not asking her to carry the boat, but to remove the aluminum and replace it with a wood thwart.

Each foam block will have one quarter inch bolt with a large (yakama) wing nut for simple quick on and off and tightness

Jack L

Good move Jack
The peace of mind knowing it is not going to fail, And the spring in the ash yolk is well worth it. You could very likely sand a few oz off of the yolk Since most yolks are made for fiberglass or royalex canoes. Just don’t be so aggressive that it excessively weakens it.

Good move Jack
The peace of mind knowing it is not going to fail, And the spring in the ash yolk is well worth it. You could very likely sand a few oz off of the yolk Since most yolks are made for fiberglass or royalex canoes. Just don’t be so aggressive that it excessively weakens it.

Pads selection
I use Chosen Valley Pads because they are lighter, dry faster and are width adjustable, but I do add a wheel nut to allow faster attachment and adjustment. I didn’t know Yak offered same, been getting mine from McMaster Carr.

Yakima doesn’t make pads Charlie

– Last Updated: Jul-02-13 3:45 PM EST –

I made my own and used Yakama's 1/4" lag bolts and their large plastic wing nuts. I had about a half dozen hanging around from over the years.
I semi copied the ones that kaymedic posted above, except for the mounting.
I used a 3" x 6" piece of 3/4" plywood and on the side that goes against the top of the yoke, I used a 3/4 inch forstner bit to go in enough to keep a lock washer and thin nut below the surface of the plywood.
On the top part after I inserted the bolts, I pounded it in so the square portion was embedded below the plywood surface. Then I tightened the whole works down as tight as I could get it, (this will prevent the bolt from turning when the large wing nut is tightened and loosened).
On top of the plywood, I used a 1/2" piece of closed cell foam and on top of that a 4" piece of high density foam.
Nanci added the top vinyl covering and did a great job sewing the four corners, (looks like it came from a factory).
Then we squished it down and wrapped the vinyl under the bottom and stapled it to the plywood with a finishing touch of black gorilla tape over the staples.
The finished product is 2-1/2" high.
When I tighten them down, it is very easy to get good and tight with that big wing nut.

Total cost = zip

If it ever stops raining here, I'll give it sea trials on the road and in the woods and report back how they work.

Jack L

I don’t think the yoke is Ash.
It feels to light, I almost think it is pine.

I have another one that is oak, and it is very heavy compared to this.

Jack L

Tried them out this morning…
between the rain storms.

They seem pretty good.

I walked a half mile on our dead end road and did get a strange look from one of the neighbors.

Now I need to do some hilly single track trails

Jack L