The Kayaking Popularity Explosion

Canoeing is more difficult to
learn the basics about. Then the learning curve flattens and you can make progress quite quickly.

The shape of the curve is less steep for beginning kayakers but it takes a lot of water time and work to learn to double blade really well.

Isn’t that true of every hobby?

– Last Updated: Jun-30-13 9:33 PM EST –

Can you name a single activity that's done for recreation for which it is not true that a few people learn to do it very well, but the majority only dabble? Paddling is like that. What's fortunate for the dabblers in every hobby is that their low level of exposure to overly sensitive experts means that they seldom hear this vile drivel directed at them (granted, it wasn't as vile this time as it has been in many of your previous posts. I'm just going with your overall average).

Most don’t care about efficiency.
Most aren’t paddling in situations where it matters that much.

when and where you go

– Last Updated: Jun-30-13 3:28 PM EST –

makes a huge difference. I paddled the upper New in wv yesterday, Saturday at 11:00 am. The peak time to be out. Commercial outfitters were putting on "fleets" of duckies and a few rafts as well. "Private" boaters in open canoes, kayaks, sots, duckies, and even a couple of rec kayaks on an overnight trip. I doubt many folks on this message board can say that duckies are the boat they most frequently encounter? So the "popular" boat changes with the environment and the user's experience level. Do that same trip during the week, and the boats are more sophisticated- ww play boats almost exclusively. Do it in Jan. and I'm pretty much guaranteed that the most popular boat is whatever I and my buds choose to paddle that day since we rarely encounter anyone else that time of year. The harsher the environment, the more specific and sophisticated the boat design.

In my environment SUPs are pretty much limited to park and play. While they may excel at surfing it takes a ton of skill to paddle them successfully down whitewater and requires a high level of fitness. In other words, be prepared to swim a lot.
Belly yaks and river boards have a limited appeal as well since their fitness demands are high even though they are designed for a ww environment.

A new trend is emerging where I live. People are using cheap (made with vinyl bladders) small catarafts, or minis, designed for float fishing on class II and III whitewater. That's becoming popular here on the upper new and greenbrier rivers in wv. Probably a local niche thing even though the boats weren't originally designed or marketed for whitewater. I look for the manufacturers to figure this out and make more durable versions designed specifically for whitewater that aren't cost prohibitive.

Yes to a degree

– Last Updated: Jun-30-13 5:49 PM EST –

I match that profile to a degree, and I am really enjoying the freedom sea kayaking and light weight canoeing and camping allow me as I age. Kids are on their own, reduction in bills, more free time, etc. I still backpack (light weight), but can see the writing on the wall. So hooray paddling!

Still in the Charleston area of SC you see many more younger ages out and paddling than O.F. So I don't see the boomer geezer factor as driving the markets as much as just contributing to them.

Market seems to be vibrant here
I come across lots of first time paddlers, all in rec boats, often with paddles much too long and sans PFD’s.

Always nice to come across paddlers with nice gear. Ran into Chris_H yesterday in his Tracer 165 (nice looking boat) using a CF greenland paddle. Later I ran into Robin (“webmaster” for the Jersey Paddler)paddling a solo plus. The other 95% paddling yesterday were in rec boats.

cracked me up
"Odd sidebar: a single friend of mine who has been an obsessive dater through the personal ads for about 10 years has commented that 8 out of 10 personal ads he reads list “kayaking” as a hobby. But when he asks women he dates about their paddling experience, most confess they have “rented a few times” or “have not kayaked yet but think I would like to.”"

Cracks me up the things women list that they like to do when trying to get a date! Oh how their likes can quickly become their dislikes. I got lucky and found a lady who later told me I had her at Kayak!

Seriously, DUUJ, this thread belonged
on the Paddlers Place Discussion Forum.

Not that it’s very interesting.

An SUP fan on SOTP (UK) asked, what is there that one can do with a canoe that one can’t do with a stand up paddleboard?

Immediately the answer came back, you can load a canoe with enough gear and food for weeks in the wilderness. You can load it with your family, your dog, and your picnic stuff. For that matter, you can pole it upstream, and you can keep standing and use a SUP paddle.

As for recreational kayaks, they are good for quick learning and easy use, but for anything serious, they kind of suck. I have an old ww kayak that is more comfortable, carries as much, is faster on lakes, and runs serious whitewater, and it puts rec kayaks totally in the shade. But, it does require more skill. Don’t wanta hafta mess with that skill.

I’ve been on rivers and lakes since 1960, and I’ve never had any difficulty whatsoever understanding market trends and fads in personal paddlecraft.

They’re More Accessible
Being located in the prime locations of Walmart, Sam’s Club, Costco, and West Marine. Some in the $299 - $499 price range and selling side by side $699 SUPs. And that includes paddle too! At Sam’s, you can pick up a nifty Body Glove PFD for under $40 down the aisle.

Landlubbers with Zero Help

– Last Updated: Jul-02-13 8:03 PM EST –

Unfortunately people get Zero help, advice, etc. when
buying from those big box locations and end up paddling right
after a rainstorm because - "water levels are up, dude".
They start at zero and most progress little because
"they don't know, exactly what they don't know"
But don't dare call them dumb, because it was cheap on sale.

Buying from a kayak shop can make a world of difference
that lasts a lifetime and enhances the buyers experience.

I'm just waiting for the Sams Club scuba gear
and Costco underwater welding kit to go on sale.

TV
Some years ago there were several commercials that included images of kayaks. Mostly old men with prostate problems. I suppose they added to the popularity explosion.

(gosh… do ya think???)

Cheap Boats
I’ll admit I am part of the new wave. We bought cheap SOT’s for our kids for a beach vacation at the local box store. My wife is small enough and went for a ride on one. When she came back she said she wanted one too.

Fortunately we found this place and received advice on further boat purchases. We are lifers now with a stack of boats and gear in the garage and the cars now in the driveway.

more popular
The place I’ve bought my yaks from now has a group called WOW…Women On the Water. They have classes and are helping the women build their skills. The classes seem to fill up quickly. I did a float with them and it consisted of a group of women with different skill levels. Hopefully I’m not insulting anyone by saying this but I’m pretty sure most of the women were in my age range (53). I also feel like maybe its more popular because its hard not to share how relaxing it is. I’ve took several on their first kayak float…thats all it takes is one time and they’re hooked. How can you not enjoy getting out in nature, on water, away from everything? Most people seem to be unsettled and floating is so relaxing. After your initial expense of boat, paddle, pfd, all you have to spend is gas to get to your float point.

the boardNazi makes his guest appearance

kayaks
They are also forgiving for people that don’t take the time to learn to paddle.

Price
A Dunham’s flyer in or paper had a number of kayaks listed at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, my wife saw this flyer and promptly informed me I could have bought a kayak there for less than the tax was on my recently purchased Swift Osprey carbon fusion solo canoe!!!

kayaking/prostate problems
Kudzu,

Lighten up!

I started kayaking (while continuing canoeing) 25 years before I developed prostate problems.

Dave

You made a good choice with the Osprey.
Don’t let your wife paddle it, or you might have to buy another.

Don’t call yourself a Nazi. You’re only
trying to improve the Forum experience, in your own way.

Osprey Choice
I did something worse than letting my wife try the Carbon fusion Osprey. I let my grandchildren try it. Now they want a black solo canoe just like Papa’s.

I only have one wife but I have 2 grandchildren!!!