who only canoes here rather than kayak?

Why? You tryin’ to recommend
a better cologne? Man, that stuff has been a chick magnet for me ever since I saw the commercial below, way back in the 70’s. (I don’t often trip P.net’s Advice forum–But I recommend this stuff for every guy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlyhfLIdK4

Canoes only
I have tried kayaks a couple times but can’t see any advantage to them at all over canoes. I spend nearly all my time in solo canoes and use them about 5 days per week. Most years I paddle 300 to 500 miles between ice out in the spring and freeze up in early winter. I use my solos for duck and goose hunting, fishing, bird and wildlife watching, working out and just cruising.

A light solo canoe is easier for me to load and unload off my truck, exit and enter in the water, and just plain more comfortable. I can lay my fishing gear or bird ID books out in front of me in a dry box and move around to keep my joints more flexible. I also like sitting up higher to see what is in the water in the way of fish and plants. On a recent canoe trip with some kayakers where the water was very skinny I seemed to be able to pick the routes where I scraped less than the kayaks and I think this because I was sitting higher.

I just turned 70 and purchased a new Swift Osprey carbon fusion solo canoe that weighs 26 1/2 pounds. I hope to be able to paddle this craft foe many years to come. I also have a Wenonah prism, 2 Sawyer DY Specials and a Sawyer Kevlar Cruiser canoe.

Canoe +
I only canoe, although my next boat will be an Epic V10, 12 or 14.

Here’s why; Single blade is more fun, double blade is faster.

Canoes Only
Tried kayaks and did both and had a nice decked canoe (Mad River Monarch) for a few years. But a severed femoral artery in 2004 led to some nerve damage in my leg. Can’t sit more than 20-30 minutes without numbness. Canoes afford me the flexibility to kneel and move about easily to thwart the numbness.

Canoe only
although my youngest son had a kayak and I would (probably) let my daughter marry a kayaker.

Of course since I don’t have a daughter I don’t have to worry…

50 years…

– Last Updated: Jul-04-13 10:02 PM EST –

I've canoed about 50 years.

In that time I have owned probably 50 canoes, and 1 kayak. It mostly sat on a rack in a garage & gathered dust.

I hated it.
Makes my back hurt.
Not enough room to move around, and change positions.
I'm not into traveling light, and stuffing multiple bags into limited space is a pita I can live without.
I like having a cooler & all that a big one can carry. I like having extra space in a canoe; I equate traveling light with suffering needlessly.
You want to travel light; go for it.
When it's time for me to bail out of a canoe; I want out fast. Can't get out of kayak fast; my legs are too long.
Don't care about rolling, and don't like skirt covered cockpit.
A one bladed paddle is all I need to go where I want to go.
I'm not racing anyone; I have no need to go fast.
If I was into going fast; there are a lot of kayaks I could outrun in some canoes I own.

I don't really care what others want to paddle; that's their option.

BOB

never been in a kayak …

– Last Updated: Jul-04-13 10:16 PM EST –

...... so I don't know if there's anything I'd like about them . I have considered many things I don't think I'd like about them though .

Thought I was in a kayak once , but then I woke up ... good thing too because I was having a great deal of trouble and kept falling over in rough water ... I had a bomb proof roll but I don't think constant rolling is how one is suppose to kayak :-)

I've always enjoyed being in the canoe ...

What’s a kayak?

Me! Me!
Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!

FE

me
never been in a kayak

your County

– Last Updated: Jul-05-13 10:13 AM EST –

hey! are you familiar with Tim Littlefield? He's a TV star on Discovery Channel......OK really only a byline....but as I watch, seems to be a legend...

Sat in kayaks twice …
… and that was experience enough. I like being able to see my feet.

as long as they both
Exist, I will do both, and any other watercraft that comes my way.

Ryan L.

Guilty
Solo canoe. I actually owned a nice kayak for about 1 month. By buddy has pictures of me in it he keeps threatining my with. really one dementional and My back took weeks to recover. A good learning experience.Never again!

Turtle

This side of the pond
They’re all Canoes. Then we further define them as “Canadian Canoes” or “Kayaks”

I’m Not Familiar …
… but I don’t have T.V. and am not aware of what’s on the Discovery Channel these days. What’s his story ?

If its about Humboldt and on Discovery then my guess is that it either about Sasquatch or the cannabis business. Either way its probably less than 10% true.

my choice is canoe only, but a surprise

– Last Updated: Jul-05-13 12:41 PM EST –

paddle, with kayakers & kayaks only around, does go kayak. Happens about every other year....

Tried ww and sea kayaks but
It was a short and insincere flirtation in the early stages of paddling. Only canoe as that fits my requirements/desires these days…it’s just more fun.

My main rides
Artisan Millenium, Sawyer Summersong, Fenn Mako xt

canoes forever
I liked thebob’s post. I built a Pygmy Coho and then tried a salt water kayak trip in the San Juan Is.

I sold the kayak and went back to only canoes. Bigger, faster, more room, more cargo, more tradition.

I don’t like being stuck in a kayak cockpit for hours.