who only canoes here rather than kayak?

me
never been in a kayak

your County

– Last Updated: Jul-05-13 10:13 AM EST –

hey! are you familiar with Tim Littlefield? He's a TV star on Discovery Channel......OK really only a byline....but as I watch, seems to be a legend...

Sat in kayaks twice …
… and that was experience enough. I like being able to see my feet.

as long as they both
Exist, I will do both, and any other watercraft that comes my way.

Ryan L.

Guilty
Solo canoe. I actually owned a nice kayak for about 1 month. By buddy has pictures of me in it he keeps threatining my with. really one dementional and My back took weeks to recover. A good learning experience.Never again!

Turtle

This side of the pond
They’re all Canoes. Then we further define them as “Canadian Canoes” or “Kayaks”

I’m Not Familiar …
… but I don’t have T.V. and am not aware of what’s on the Discovery Channel these days. What’s his story ?

If its about Humboldt and on Discovery then my guess is that it either about Sasquatch or the cannabis business. Either way its probably less than 10% true.

my choice is canoe only, but a surprise

– Last Updated: Jul-05-13 12:41 PM EST –

paddle, with kayakers & kayaks only around, does go kayak. Happens about every other year....

Tried ww and sea kayaks but
It was a short and insincere flirtation in the early stages of paddling. Only canoe as that fits my requirements/desires these days…it’s just more fun.

My main rides
Artisan Millenium, Sawyer Summersong, Fenn Mako xt

canoes forever
I liked thebob’s post. I built a Pygmy Coho and then tried a salt water kayak trip in the San Juan Is.

I sold the kayak and went back to only canoes. Bigger, faster, more room, more cargo, more tradition.

I don’t like being stuck in a kayak cockpit for hours.

not me, its all good

– Last Updated: Jul-06-13 7:26 AM EST –

I find myself kayaking more and canoeing less these days. c1s and ww canoes were becoming more painful on my knees as I entered my 50s. I'm not a boat snob although some boats are definitely better suited for some environments than others.

I think its natural to take pride in what you paddle and share kinship with those who enjoy the same things. Just be well rounded enough to know that your way isn't the only way or even the "best" way.

Of course "best" means many different things to different people- for me: its cheap, made out of plastic, comfortable, and likes to bounce off of rocks ...but I also enjoying learning about what others consider "best". I've got more growth potential here than on "boater talk" because the view is much more diverse. I'm looking to expand the number of different environments I paddle in. So I think location first, type of boat second.

Whatever and where ever we decide to paddle, we all need to keep it safe. Enjoy the diversity this website offers.

the latter…

Canoes for tripping
kayaks for day paddles.

Household compromise
I only canoe, but my wife will paddle a kayak when she is concerned about keeping up with others. Usually, though, we are both in solo canoes.

I’m one of those people whose back cannot tolerate the posture required in a kayak for very long.

Peter

Back pain
I have a terrible back but I have discovered that a well fitted Kayak and improved technique has eliminated all my back pain. Indeed - I now think of paddling my kayak as a physical therapy session for my back. I can paddle for hours with zero pain. Amazing.

canoes for now
We only have a canoe, started canoeing when we were in school in Michigan. But then the reason I logged in today was to look into kayaks. Out here in California I’m starting to think a kayak would make more sense in some circumstances. Most of those circumstances involve lakes and estuaries that can become unexpectedly windy.

I prefer canoes, but own four kayaks
that I use occasionally. In my yooth, I could roll both decked canoes and kayaks. For multiple wilderness overnights, I would use whichever was more suitable for safety on the water.

Only canoe
Can’t get into that double paddle thing, single stick is the way to go! And I’m still determined to join Team Kruger before my paddling days are over!

only canoe
at my most varietal I had 13 boats. One was a 28’ sailboat, had an 8’ sailing dinghy, a motorized dinghy, 2 C1’s, one squirtboat (underwater kayak, where kayaks belong) that i used handpaddles with, and the rest are OC1’s and 2’s in ww and poling set ups. Cleaned house, and have 5 canoes left.