Stuff to take to Bowron Lakes?

bring a pistol he says…
aye carumba.

Nalgene works for Scotch
trust me - lots of experience with this.

A pistol is useful

– Last Updated: Jun-30-13 8:24 AM EST –

when you want to to get a bear all riled up. :-)

Bear lockers at Bowron
They say they have them at most portages. We plan to use them at campsites and at portages if we have to make two trips.

Thanks for all suggestions. Really appreciate the experience and wisdom of PNetters.

We leave July 5 for Seattle. Yippee!

I hope you get to see lots of bear
just being bear. When they are not bothering humans nor being stressed around humans, they are incredibly fun to watch.

Time. Take as much as you can.
You can take up to 14 days to do the circuit – I would suggest taking as many days as you can – it’s a beautiful place and you’ll likely like to stay at a few locations for a couple of nights.

I took my son and daughter to the Bowron’s a few years ago and had a fabulous trip. Here’s a link to our trip journal:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=81&pos=0

Yeah…
and when you should ever decide to never visit Canada again…and spend a few hours chatting with the nice man at the border aboot it.

Axe
I think that they actually require one large axe, or two smaller hatchet/hand axes. I don’t believe they “recommend” it. Might want to check on that.

Foreign visitors - exceptions
I didn’t spend a lot of time looking, but see below - from the Transport Canada/Marine website

that seems clear enough if a canoe is registered in MN say, and going up to Quetico. I think I’ve seen something more canoe specific elsewhere, but don’t recall where. Possibly this rule gets interpolated for canoes? or not? - it also seems strange to me that the Bowron webpage is mut on throwropes - seems like they could provide more info if it was required.

“Safety Equipment Requirements

Foreign pleasure craft (pleasure craft that are licensed or registered in a country other than Canada) need to comply with equipment requirements of the country in which the vessel is usually kept.

If you are not a resident of Canada and are using a pleasure craft licensed or registered in Canada, all of the required safety equipment must meet Canadian safety requirements. However, you may opt to bring your own PFD for your own personal use.

For more information, consult the Small Vessel Regulations.”

Axe is not essential
one per party is recommended.

Axe
The pre-trip information brochure says one axe per party…required.

It may be dated, but they used to check each party’s equipment before allowing them on the circuit.

pistol
Just one?

Sigh.
I have been canoeing since 1971 in Canada and its pretty simple.

You have to have the required safety equipment and if you are using your own canoe and PFD it does not have to be MOT or CCG approved if it is approved for use in your home country.

NONE of Canada’s Provinces or Territories require canoe or kayak registration.

No it does not

– Last Updated: Jul-03-13 11:13 AM EST –

It says "Not essential but recommended" I think the list however is not well arranged.

axe
At Bowron the rangers stock wood at caches close to (but not at) the campgrounds. So an ax for splitting these pieces up will be more useful than a saw or a hatchet.

Swimsuit and/or wetsuit
Make sure to bring your swimsuit (or wetsuit if you prefer) for swimming. The water in Una Lake is quite pleasant, though the other lakes will be chilly.

Get an early start on the portage from the check-in station at the start.

Be sure to have a good cart for the portages.

Enjoy!

Thanks!
Yes, early start with a good cart. Great weather forecast for first couple of days. I’m outta here.

G

Bowron L
Sorry about the brain fart. Bear spray or a rifle/shotgun is a more like it.

that’s right
and they used to check each party for an axe or two hatchets before allowing them to start.

In a wet NW forest you might have to split a good sized piece of wood to get to the dry stuff.

Bowfin Lake
You are not allowed to carry a pistol in BC Canada