My legs hurt!

I have a Wenonah Solo Plus that I use solo. The solo seat has two postions one flat, the other canted. With the seat flat my lower back hurts. With it canted my legs ache. Will a backrest likely help in either postion? I would like to eventually kneel, but that doesn’t work for me at all. Maybe when I reach a more desirable weight. I weigh 280 now, down from 329! Thanks for any advice on the backrest or seat postion.

Byron

Some thoughts
The canted position is usually the kneeling position. You don’t say why you can’t kneel. Is it the height of the seat or that your knees hurt? The more you practice kneeling, usually, the more you get used to it and the less it hurts.

The flat position would usually be the sitting position. An experienced seated paddler in a bucket seat might want a slight cant, and would also probably also want a foot bar to press against. Maybe a foot bar would help you.

More generally, does your lower back hurt when you sit in other seats than the Wenonah canoe seat? If so, perhaps some back muscle strengthening exercises would help. If you’ve been overweight for a long time and dieting aggressively without weight training, you may have several weakened muscle groups.

Hard for anyone to predict whether a backrest will help you, but it’s a cheap investment to try, especially if you buy it from somewhere with a good return policy.

I would put the priorities the other way
Sested for long periods of time both my legs and back hurt in boats (even with Eds Contour Seat!) without footbraces.

Your back takes a pounding with every paddle stroke wanting to slide yourself forward off the seat. Unconsciously your back tries to work to keep you on the seat. Footbars give your legs support and also keep you from sliding forward.

After that I would add a backband or seat. After all there is a reason kayaks have both. Not unreasonable that canoes have both.

I have just found out that I do not need a backrest with a footbar.

Doctors advise
I paddled with a gentelman once who turned out to be a back doctor. he said the canted seat kneeling position is just like the office chairs he perscribes to his patients. A high,angeled seat might work well for you. I know several people heavier than you that do it fine.

Turtle

The height of your seat
is a factor as well. Are your seat hung low, or high? Try changing that and see if it helps.

Thanks
Thanks for everyone’s input. The seat on the Wenonah is too low in the canted position for my feet to slip under, although I haven’t given it much of a try. I don’t see myself ever being comfortable for any period of time on my knees. but I won’t truly know until I try. Thanks again.

Byron

I paddle my Wilderness
with the web seat canted forward, kneeling probably 90% of the time, using a waterproof foam camping pad from Wally World under me. I think that the more you try kneeling the more you will like it, puts your center of gravity lower, making for a more stable ride.

I’m having the same problem. Just Started Kayaking. Went on my second trip yesterday. I’m pretty overweight so i ‘‘barely’’ fit in a wilderness Systems Tsunami 165. They dont have any other option for me right now. It starts out somewhat okay but after about 45 minutes of paddeling i hear a click in the backrest and from there on out i wasnt able to keep my back up. Always ended up leaning into a lying position to the back. eventually My legs my abs and my back hurts and its almost impossible sitting up. imagine trying to paddle whilest almost flat on your back :tired_face: . I’m thinking it happens because i have no strenght in my core and it will eventually get better? but if anyone has any suggestions im down…

Another zombie thread. :s

@CANCANGOR said:
I’m having the same problem. Just Started Kayaking. Went on my second trip yesterday. I’m pretty overweight so i ‘‘barely’’ fit in a wilderness Systems Tsunami 165. They dont have any other option for me right now. It starts out somewhat okay but after about 45 minutes of paddeling i hear a click in the backrest and from there on out i wasnt able to keep my back up. Always ended up leaning into a lying position to the back. eventually My legs my abs and my back hurts and its almost impossible sitting up. imagine trying to paddle whilest almost flat on your back :tired_face: . I’m thinking it happens because i have no strenght in my core and it will eventually get better? but if anyone has any suggestions im down…

Kudos to you for getting active! While a good forward stroke involves using your core, there’s lots you can do out of the kayak to improve core strength, cardio endurance and overall health. Diet changes and exercising can work wonders. You could start simply by briskly walking 30 minutes a day. Every day. There’s tons of information on the Internet about eating clean. Numerous articles on various exercises here at Pnet: https://paddling.com/learn/category/techniques-safety/exercises/p2/

Maybe not an easy journey to start, but oh, so worth it when you reach your goal. And do feel free to start your own thread if you have any questions.

Mandatory disclaimer: always consult your physician before starting any exercise program.

My Legs Hurt Too! Don’t be afraid to try out the various sitbacker-type back supports out there. Sound like you are paddling for fun/exersize/recreation so more comfort=longer time on the water. I settled on the Wenonah superseat, which I have used in both bucket style and bench style. Gives me just enough support to help my back. I can’t kneel either (for medical reasons), so I have found that a higher level seat height allows me to reposition my legs occasionally (one knee up, both knees up or legs outstretched) which alleviates the ache I used to get sitting on the floor of the canoe with my legs flat out against a footbrace. Everyone has to find their own solution, and it can be different for each canoe, but there are many good suggestions in this forum.

A few more ideas for your consideration…

A total change of seating position may make quite a difference so raising the seat and kneeling could be a good alternative. You need nice cushioning so maybe try a pair of knee pads made for gardening. If you don’t mind removing your seat you could try sitting on a milk crate or small cooler with kneeling pads to see how you like it before making any permanent change.

An air cushion on your seat may help you. It was a big helper for me when recovering from sciatic nerve pain. In principle an air cushion is best for distributing the pressure on your bottom to help avoid pinching or excessive pressure on sensitive areas.

You might try a paddle with a small blade so the forces that you put into the water that are reacted by your back are smaller. Bending Branches makes a carbon shaft paddle with a 95 square inch blade which is quite small…or maybe get a Zaveral with a small blade, although neither paddle is inexpensive. If you can get away with a shorter paddle that may also help you.

@Rookie said:

Kudos to you for getting active! While a good forward stroke involves using your core, there’s lots you can do out of the kayak to improve core strength, cardio endurance and overall health. Diet changes and exercising can work wonders. You could start simply by briskly walking 30 minutes a day. Every day. There’s tons of information on the Internet about eating clean. Numerous articles on various exercises here at Pnet: https://paddling.com/learn/category/techniques-safety/exercises/p2/

Maybe not an easy journey to start, but oh, so worth it when you reach your goal. And do feel free to start your own thread if you have any questions.

Mandatory disclaimer: always consult your physician before starting any exercise program.

@Rookie
Thanks for the advice ! I started working out outside of the kayak aswell. Going to the gym 2-3 times a week as well as walking 30-45 minutes everyday. I played professional Ice Hockey for a decade so luckily the Roots to strenght are there . Just need to get the gears working again. I have a theory to what is happening in the tsunami 165 ‘‘other than me needing to workout more’’ . After a certain amount of time the Backrest is making a Pop noise and slips further back and i have NO back support i think… I was planning of maybe putting some hard stuff behind it next time so it stays in position? Im paddling in the Bosphorus of Istanbul where we dont really have an option of going to shore and fixing things . Once you’re in the thing your in it for some hours :confused:

@TomL said:
A few more ideas for your consideration…

A total change of seating position may make quite a difference so raising the seat and kneeling could be a good alternative. You need nice cushioning so maybe try a pair of knee pads made for gardening. If you don’t mind removing your seat you could try sitting on a milk crate or small cooler with kneeling pads to see how you like it before making any permanent change.

An air cushion on your seat may help you. It was a big helper for me when recovering from sciatic nerve pain. In principle an air cushion is best for distributing the pressure on your bottom to help avoid pinching or excessive pressure on sensitive areas.

You might try a paddle with a small blade so the forces that you put into the water that are reacted by your back are smaller. Bending Branches makes a carbon shaft paddle with a 95 square inch blade which is quite small…or maybe get a Zaveral with a small blade, although neither paddle is inexpensive. If you can get away with a shorter paddle that may also help you.

Removing the backrest alltogether and replacing the area with something else hadn’t occured to me . I think i will try that! so thanks ! this might also solve to problem of me almost not fitting into the cockpit

@CANCANGOR

Wow. Looked it up - what a fabulous place to paddle! Maybe Bodeka can help you out with some minicell foam to replace the backband. :slight_smile:

@Rookie Haha. I’m a Bodeka member actually. I’m shure the guys will help me out with the necessery tools.

@CANCANGOR said:
@Rookie Haha. I’m a Bodeka member actually. I’m shure the guys will help me out with the necessery tools.

I viewed Bodeka’s Instagram photos - what a beautiful area!

@Rookie Yea its defenitly very interesting to paddle inbetween two continents . Let me know if you ever make it to istanbul so i’ll arrange for you to join us on one of those trips :slight_smile:

@CANCANGOR said:
@Rookie Yea its defenitly very interesting to paddle inbetween two continents . Let me know if you ever make it to istanbul so i’ll arrange for you to join us on one of those trips :slight_smile:

Thanks, Cancangor - that’s very kind of you. Hope you’ve gotten that backband issue resolved and are paddling without discomfort.

@Rookie Not yet unfortunatly im working during the week so i only have the chance to get into a boat on Sundays. Hopefully i’ll have it ressolved this weekend. Meanwhile i am working on strenghtening my core since that is also a major issue. (ya cant blame everything on the Boat lol) . I’m optimistic though :smile: