Perimeter Line

I am in the process of putting new perimeter line on me boat. Any suggestions on how to tie off the ends and keeping the lines tight. I pull the line taut but it slips when in tie the overhand not.

Thanks

Knots
For perimeter line, I use the buntline hitch for connection to deck fittings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buntline_hitch

Perimeter line should be slightly loose while paddling, so you can get your hand, possibly gloved, around it easily. Off the water, one of the hitches can be slid to tighten the perimeter line during transport, to keep the line from flapping around in the wind on top of the car.

A better way…
At the point closest to the cockpit, intead of trying to just tie a knot, use a knot to join the end to a piece of stout bungie with the bungie under tension joined to the opposite side of the perimiter line. This way the P line stays snug, yet when it needs to be grabbed the bungie will let it out to where the knot stops against the hull fitting.

all the best, tOM

remove fitting to tie
First determine where the knot should be, mark it with sharpie, remove fitting, tie knot of choice, replace fitting. Check integrity of all fittings while the tool is in hand.

Input
Thanks to all for the input