who only canoes here rather than kayak?

only canoe
at my most varietal I had 13 boats. One was a 28’ sailboat, had an 8’ sailing dinghy, a motorized dinghy, 2 C1’s, one squirtboat (underwater kayak, where kayaks belong) that i used handpaddles with, and the rest are OC1’s and 2’s in ww and poling set ups. Cleaned house, and have 5 canoes left.

ME
I only have a canoe. Two actually…

"canoeing only—"
Me, I still eat only fossilized dinosaur meat and bison. Have no use for cattle meat and look down on those who eat it.

Dave

I agree. Dave.
And my ancestors didn’t rise to the top of the food chain for me to become a vegetarian, either.

How many strictly-canoe turkeys here wax on about, "OOOHHH, I tried kayaking for a time. But I found out I was only mediocre at it, so I quickly went running back to canoe hulls exclusively.(Like, I got my rocks off with the mistress quickly, but begged my faithful wife to take me back.) “Besides, a double blade made things too easy and I never really wanted to learn how to roll. But worst of all, I couldn’t carry a cooler!!! Bwah!!!”

Yes, it’s so good to dismiss “traveling light.” I mean, the reason you want to commune with wilderness on a say a day trip or a week or so out, is to bring as much shit along with you as possible…I mean, this could be like going to the moon and back, right? So better to have absolutely EVERYTHING you can possibly think of along, right? No, better if you stayed home.

BREAKING NEWS!!! A canoe can hurt your back from improper use, every bit as much as an improperly used kayak can…It’s true! I own both canoes and kayaks. I’ve properly used and improperly used both. I like both. I at times detest both. I’ve had aches and pains from both. But that’s why I paddle. I like to feel some muscle strain now and then. Let’s me know I’m alive and have a good working body–To which I gratefully thank de good Lawd(Of course, if you don’t believe in him, like you don’t believe in kayaks, just wing a prayer off to the Great Pumpkin and ask Allah to pass the mash potatoes.)

Here’s one last thought: Know why I never take my 16 foot canoe to ride surf waves on the ocean? Same reason I don’t use my 16 foot sea kayak on very narrow and twisty rock strewn rivers.

Canoe only
I had a ww kayak in the 80’s, and had fun in it. The nearest whitewater was 3 hrs away and it only had enough water to float a couple of times a year. I joined a canoe club to learn technique and for safety, but I am not club material (not a people person).

Today I own 3 solo and one tandem canoes. If I lived near the coast or the Great Lakes, I would have a touring kayak for sure

Dave and Bob
You guys really got that religious fanatic thing down.

Here’s a mantra to try.

They’re only paddle boats.

They’re only for fun.

Keep saying that over and over. Maybe it will sink in?

That religious fanatic thing?

– Last Updated: Jul-09-13 10:48 AM EST –

I stated my opinion; I gave reasons why I don't like kayaks. I don't seek, or need anybody's permission to state my opinion.

While stating my opinion I said, "You want to travel light; go for it".

Additionally, I said, "I don't really care what others want to paddle; that's up to them".

I fail to see why anyone feels the need to concern themselves with what I like, dislike, what I carry, or choose to paddle. Nor do I see the need for anyone to use labeling, and name calling as a retort to my opinion, or the opinion of others.

BOB

P.S. If I were "really" a religious fanatic, or rabid canoe only believer; I'd probably be telling some people to, "Kiss my strictly canoe turkey ass"! But I didn't say that; what I did say was, "I don't really care what other's want to paddle, that's up to them".

Religious fanatic?
Tommy,

I don’t know where you got that religious fanatic impression from. I rarely attend church and when I do it is a UU church. They allow one to believe whatever they want, in contrast to many Pnet posters who think they have seen God and now have a responsibility to preach her word.

My post was an attempt at sarcasm directed towards those who rigidly cling to only one type of boat and only one type of paddle, while rewriting the history of recreational paddling to fit their narrow definitions.

As I have posted before, I paddle both canoes and kayaks. I used single blades before a shoulder injury/reconstruction eliminated using them. I used double blade paddles in pack canoes for decades and now am limited to using only double blade paddles in both canoes and kayaks by the mentioned shoulder reconstruction. It is not a religious decision, just an adaption to be able to continue the paddling have enjoyed all my life.

Dave

An attempt at clarification
First off “Bob” was referring to Spiritboat who’s name is also Bob. It was not referring to thebob.com or anything he posted.

My bad there for not being clear.

Second, ret603 (don’t want to piss off some random Dave!)

Your post titled “canoeing only—” strikes me as coming from one who follows the kayak religion. Yep kayaking isn’t a religion. At least it shouldn’t be.

I attempted to include spiritboat in that as he ran with your caveman analogy.

Me? I only canoe.

ret603, I found your post titled “canoeing only—” sarcastic and insulting.

spiritboat, your follow up titled “I agree. Dave.” struck me as more of the same.

now I’m going to SHADDAP AN PADDLE!

Neither!
As my pack canoe is not a “real” canoe, and my sit-on-top kayak is not a “real” kayak—

But I do have an unreal amount of fun paddling anyway.

Dave and Bob’s posts are off topic

Using p.net names is more clear than
using real names, which most other posters and readers are likely not familiar with.

That would avert much confusion.

Well I was trying to stay out of here

– Last Updated: Jul-09-13 3:25 PM EST –

althogether and off this way-off topic thread to begin with...But let's say, I was overcome by "religious" frenzy and the rapture of Tommy's "mantra."

Here was the point I think Dave was making(in which I was agreeing)

"They're only paddle boats, they're only for fun.
They're only paddle boats, they're only for fun.
Simply because you prefer one over the other,
doesn't mean you have holier-than-thou poop that
don't stink."

And Tommy, it's "SHUT-UP AND PADDLE!" Not, "SHADDAP"--(Now if we can only get a whole thread going on which is better terminology, it'd be no different than the rest of P.net...After all, this is a national-global message board, not yer local "Bahston" harbor barroom crowd;-

(..And my apologies to the "thebob"--Hopefully, we can get together for a friendly paddle sometime in the future...And you can just ignore me if I ask you to o carry some of the extra stuff from my kayak in your canoe.)

Uh-Oh Sissy…
Now you’ve really gone and open a can of worms, you irreverent paddlin’ rebel you!

The only “true canoe” justification
For those poor, awkward, ill balanced, (yet apparently beloved) paddle boats is…

if you need to take a very large dog, (or pony) and a very large boy (or girl) scout along with you. (And they absolutely refuse to be stuffed in a hatch.)

Ever heard of solo canoes?

Stirring things up, or serious?
I frequently paddle solo canoes in places where kayakers seldom go, and when they do, they are miserable. Each style of boat has certain advantages over the other, and the advantages of canoes include far more things than hatchless loading of gear.

Well Dave, you really ought to…
…try the fossilized Holdstein nFreeze, son, that my Aunt Enga serves as the purported dinner, every fourth Sunday of the month at our familial-attendance-mandatory Teutonic Terrors In Dining event. (Oh how I do wish she’d find something other than the Wagner for the dinner muzak.)

Oh, and don’t expect to be lookin’ down on Aunt Edna. At 6 feet 3 inches in stature (and that’s before she puts on the clogs!), she never sits during dinner, preferring, in her roll as the Hell Hun Hostess, to goose-rhino-step circles about the banquet table, dressed in her combination Dirndl/East German National Olympic Team Shot-putter ensemble (Say! That probably explains those occasional outbursts of roid rage!), plunking down additional platters of post-Miocene meat product (I believe Elmo’s Spam is pre-Cretaceous) while twitching her swagger stick as some sort of metronome to speed up our mastications of the sinewy bovine. It ain’t yer Aunt Golda’s brisket, I can assure you that!

Afterwards, we all go out on the adjacent mill race, each in his-or-her individual kayak (canoes are no longer allowed, as Enga says they remind her too much of the size 17 loafers Uncle Gunther left behind under the bed when he ditched her for that Romanian gymnast he met at the 76 Games in Montreal) to practice our rolls and duffeks as Enga hurls 8-kilo shot at us.

kayaks work better
http://www.bbkayak.com/images/aral.jpg

Hmmm
And retro 603 is leading canoeing workshops at the Wooden CANOE Heritage Association Assembly.

Which also seems to involve CANOE paddling… instead of Internet paddling.

Hmmm… going back out there on the water. Its pretty nice here in canoe country.