Outerbanks Kayaking / Campgrounds???

Hi,

I am looking to do some surfing down at the Outer Banks, NC. Never been there and don’t know much about it. Can anyone recommend a good location to do so?

Also would be looking to camp (have a trailer). Can anyone recommend a good campground as well? I prefer staying in state parks, but it does not appear that there are any parks on the island that have camping…unless I am wrong.

Thanks for your help

Matt

Here you go …
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I’ve stayed at the Oregon Inlet campground several times, and the Ocracoke Island campground. I prefer the relative solitude of Ocracoke. Access to the ocean is good in both places. Oregon inlet can pile up at times and I suspect offers the interpid paddler a fine ride ( not for me, at least not yet …). Ocracoke offers varied paddling, including a very nice paddle through Teach’s Hole and then, conditions depending, an open water ride over to Portsmouth Island.

I MUCH prefer Ocracoke to anything on Hatteras. But that’s just me …

Jim

Outer Banks

– Last Updated: Jul-12-13 8:49 AM EST –

Cedar Point Campground in near Swansboro NC, it is a National Park. It is clean, hot showers,electrical hook ups quite and centrally located to many good paddling spots.

There is a launch area for the White Oak River at the park. From the park ramp, the ICW is a 2 mile paddle.

The campground is about 5 miles from Barrier Island Kayaks and a Wildlife Ramp. From the ramp, the ocean is ~ 2 mile paddle via Bogue Inlet.

The campground is about 25 Miles from Morehead City/Beaufort NC going. Many good paddle spots in that area. Including Shackleford Banks, Cape Lookout , Radio Island etc.

Topsail Island is about 25 miles South of the Campground. Also a nice area to paddle.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Cedar_Point_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72328&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Also planning a first trip out that way
w/motorhome and found these possibles. Refuge at Wanchese, $60/nite 252-473-1096, south end of Roanoke Is. small park in fishing village. Cape Hatteras KOA on the oceanside at Rodanthe $90/nite. St.Clare Landing soundside Rodanthe 252-987-2850, 35 sites. Ocean Waves CG at Waves NC s. of Rodanthe, oceanside, 64 full sites, well rated. Second medawg’s at Cedar Pt. Have stayed there but water only as I recall. Hope helpful. R

another place
Since you Cedar island is mentioned even though it is middle banks, I’ll add that Cedar Creek Campground in Sea Level has good camping and paddling in the sound. It is just a 4 mile paddle to Drum Inlet that can only be reached by boat.

One of the best places in the state to paddle is the Harkers Island to Cape Lookout run. but I camp in a tent on Cape Lookout so I dont know about Trailer Camping there.

All I Can Add…
I don’t know squat about campgrounds and not much about surfing, but I know some of these areas. If you want to be near civilization do the Swansboro thing and go play at Bear Inlet. If you want seclusion I’d do what FrankNC suggests; Drum Inlet.