fishing kayak

Any of those

– Last Updated: Mar-18-13 11:12 AM EST –

The Jackson Cuda and Coosa are getting the good press right now. Another one that's well liked is the Wilderness Systems Ride 115. If any of these are not stable enough for you, kayaking is not for you. Or consider the Scotty mounts and outriggers. If you plan on fly fishing, I wouldn't recommend the outriggers because they're something else to catch line on. If you are going to use spinning or baitcasting gear, you should be fine.

If you're planning on doing lakes and have the kind of area to turn an aircraft carrier, you may consider Tarpon 160 too.

Whatever you decide, at that price range you should be able to purchase a very good kayak, some accessories, a comfortable PFD, and a good paddle.

If you are looking for a good supplier who will not steer you wrong, try Appomattox River Company in Virginia. They will ship to anywhere in the States. Given that you called a kayak a canoe, I'm thinking you may not be in the States. But since you mentioned a NY lake, maybe you are. If you are, then talk to Appomattox River Company. They are family owned and can ship to most places cheaper than many outfitters. I don't have any relationship with them other than that of satisfied customer, and receive no benefit for referrals.

They are on the web at www.paddleva.com. Everyone who works there is a paddler. Tell them your size, the kind of water you intend to paddle, and the kind of fishing you want to do, they'll steer you right.

If you'd rather deal locally, which has its own benefits, then find a paddle shop. Don't go to a big box store and expect kayak selection expertise. You might luck out and get someone who's a paddler and has had some training or experience. But most times, you're going to get abysmally bad advice, a cheap boat, an overpriced and uncomfortable PFD, and a paddle 20cm too long.

Now, another thing is that I think Old Town Otters are quite stable. So, maybe getting familiar with paddling a bit more would be good for you before you get too serious about rigging out a kayak. The 'wobbly' feeling you get goes away within first half hour or forty-five minutes of paddling most times unless you have an inner ear problem. Not all wobble is bad wobble. You don't need a barge to stay upright. You need at least a little bit of body awareness and loose hips - remembering to keep your center of gravity over the center line of the boat at all times. It takes a little getting used to - but only a little.

- Big D

the right kayak
I am from the states, and if i called a kayak, a canoe, then I apoligize. From Pennsylvania to be exact. I have always enjoyed fishing, but I have so mant hobbies in the summer that I cant do them all. I tell my wife i really need to retire. But last year in New York on vacation, I took my little otter into a channel, and hit red eyes like you wouldnt believe.(rock bass, if your not from the states). I had a blast, and even caught a smalleye to go along with it. Now that otter was not even rigged to be a fishing kayak. I had no place to put my pole, and gear. I have many small streams around me that people do not fish because of the difficulty getting into them to fish. Some with some very large northerns.

Anyway, after spending this whole last weekend looking at videos on fishing kayaks, I believe i am going to go with the little 10 foot coosa. It was basically between that and the native watercraft slayer, and the Nucanoe Frontier. There are many, many good boats. Hard to really make a choice, but I believe this is what I am going to go with at this time. Any other imput will be greatly appreciated by all. Thanks to all who have helped me.

fishing Kayak
Well, It looks like i have decided on the Native Watercraft Slayer. I plan on purchasing from Appomattox River Company.

Good choice.
As you said, there are many good choices available. Most of the other boats you mentioned would have done a good job too.

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in? I’m from there.

• Big D

Hey Big_D, on this subject…
have you any knowledge of or talked to anyone about real world experience with the OT Pack Angler? It’s kind of short, but the seat is low enough to make a double blade practical. It also weighs about 20# less than my Loon.

where from?
I am from a small town called Mercer. If you look where interstates 80 and 79 meet, that is where I be!!

I will
I will check this out that you mentioned also. But there are soooo many good ones out there.

I know Mercer
A good friend of mine is from there.

Good luck and have fun.

No.
You may want to check in with Al A. He’s really up to speed on solo canoes, and whatever he says about them you can take to the bank.

• Big D

Thanks
The bottom line is that I will have to find one to paddle and see how it feels.

small town
Mercer is a small town. Not much of anything happens there except for the car races in the spring and summer. I dont live very far from the track. We have lots of good water to explore. I only wished that I would have spent some of my younger time on the water instead of golfing, and motorcycle riding. But I love them all, and plan on doing some catching up on the exploring waters

kayak fishing
Any kayak can become a fishing kayak just by adding a tricked out milk crate to it. The crate can have any number of “rod holders” attached (could even be thin walled PVC pipe wired in or on the crate). Most of the people I know that use milk crates just tie them on to their kayaks and some only bungee cord them on. It is really just too easy.

Fishing Kayak
I have two Necki kayaks and an Old Town Pack Canoe. For fishing there’s only one way to go as far as I am concerned…the Hobie system.

After years of paddling and trying to balance everything with wind, etc, I am finally going to the Hobie Revolution 11. The Mirage system is nothing short of fantastic, allowing one to have their hands free for fishing. Note the retail cost is $1799. With wheels (necessity) brings up to $2000. A little pricey…but if you really want an easy, hands free fishing experience, it’s the only way to go. Gonna sell my Old Town Pack Canoe as a starter, then maybe a Necki to make the price. Wish I had switched years ago.

Good lick on your purchase.

demo first
Any reputable dealer is going to let you go out on the water for a freee demo before you buy. No one on here knows your wheight, height, or aage so it is impossible to recommend anything for you. A demo will let you decide. If you demo a Hobie that is what you will buy. No one demos a Hobie and goes backwards to a paddle craft. Not if they are a fisherman.

Fishing kayak
Whatever you buy demo it first. Your weight height etc has everything to do with the stability factor. Try standing in it while on the water. If you can’t do this, you will limit your visibility fishing in some circumstances. I weigh 195 and fish from a perception caster sot. 12.5ft Excellent boat but difficult to stand in. I’ll consider this on my next yak. I did opt for a rudder, and wouldn’t ever be without one. Too many advantages to list. You can buy these rigged for well under $1k. Sounds like your need a kayak caddy ! Enjoy

why buy when you can barter?
i have two fishing kayaks, a wilderness tarpon 160 and a malibu x factor…both are in the 1000 dollar range from what ive read…i traded for both on different occasions…someone loses interest in paddling or in one case the guy picked the boat up on another trade…you would be surprised at how nice of a boat you can get with no hit to the bank account…take care

Tarpons
I’ve used a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 for several years, love it. Stable, reasonably fast, tracks well, comes standard with a good seat and SlideTrax for accessories, dry ride.

WS Tarpon 120 around $1000 new
fully rigged for fishing and ready to go, and it is a nice easy size to handle by yourself to cartop.

For about $1100, you can get a Tarpon 140 which is still maneuverable and pretty easy to load, or get a Tarpon 160 which is faster for ~$1200.

Take a look
at Ocean’s Prowler’s.Several versions/lengths to choose from.I found a great deal on the P13 angler.I love it!I’ve had quite a few kayaks over the years ranging from 12-16’ both SIS and SOT’S and this is one of my all time favorites.

Native Watercraft
Stable, efficient, comfortable.

SEveral models to chose from.