Wildfire big enough?

Wildfire or Yellowstone?
I’m bigger than you (220 pounds), and I paddled my Yellowstone for a week in the Adirondacks. It held everything I needed - two big dry bags, a cooler and my portage cart. Not sure how much room your dog will need, but weight shouldn’t be an issue. Can’t speak about a composite Wildfire.

Here’s a picture of Jeff (about my size) loaded up in his Yellowstone. It does look a little low, but he never had problem, nor did I. TommyC1 in the background in his Magic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/8010812547/in/set-72157631592257478

Wildfire FG
and the dog often meditates on top of packs or underneath my seat. But I can appreciate the concerns about freeboard in situations with waves.

FG? I have a black/gold Wildfire.
Maybe only Charlie Wilson on this board would know if anyone ever made a true Wildfire out of fiberglass (only).

In any event, a composite Wilfire could do all that you mention, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for canoe tripping for four days with 260+ pounds and a dog. At that load level, as others have stated, the 14’ hull with modest depth would be fairly bogged down with little freeboard.

I’d prefer a 15’ solo canoe with more depth for that kind of load, but sure you could do it. BOB has suggested two more capacious river tripping canoes. A more sophisticated hull, and my favorite, would be a Hemlock SRT. Not sure I’d want a dog in an SRT, however, unless it was dead.

Hemlock SRT…

– Last Updated: Jul-11-13 10:51 PM EST –

One of my all time favorite canoes.
Regretably I sold mine. Thinking it might not take the abuse of shallow, rocky, Ozark rivers for many years; I decided to stick with royalex canoes for that venue.

The problem with the SRT for the original poster may be price & availability.
I'm betting there aren't too many used SRTs for sale in central Texas?
Other options: pay shipping cost for new one from Hemlock Canoes in New York to Texas, or drive to New York & pick up a new one.
Whether you ship it or pick it up; you'd better have deep pockets. New cost for the cheapest version of the SRT, the kevlar hybrid is $2,779.00; plus shipping, or travel costs.

A new Mohawk Odyssey is $998.00.
Shipping from Tennessee to Texas; probably less than $300.00?

Freedom Solo? Cost would likely be similiar to the Odyssey.

Buying used & taking a long, one day road trip to pick it up could be quite inexpensive; if you got lucky.

BOB

so I’ve been told
I don’t think the person really knew, but there are flotation tanks. Maybe Fiberlar (was that the name?)

The WF should work just fine

– Last Updated: Jul-11-13 11:23 PM EST –

Plenty of 200 lbers have paddled it and it has eight inches of freeboard. Add another sixty and Archimedes dictates it wont sink much. Above 300 and you would feel you were paddling a log.

We have a whole bunch of Wilds here in the Adirondacks.. just leave the furniture behind and jettison the cooler.

What I find in fifteen footers on two week trips ( the boats are sometimes narrower than the Wild) is that there is at least two feet of unused space.

We're finishing up a weeklong canoe event . I suspect a few Wilds are off for short trips of 2-3 days in the Adirondacks. BTW Dan Cooke uses a WildFire for camping and he is not Cliff Jacobson sized. He is more normal six foot tall size.

A few more Wildfire/Yellowstone pics

– Last Updated: Jul-12-13 6:17 AM EST –

From a 4 night Machias trip a few years back.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TommyC1Taylor/Machias20103rdLakeToWhitneyville#5468897084064199938

http://picasaweb.google.com/TommyC1Taylor/Machias20103rdLakeToWhitneyville#5468897628214680178

Before this trip I would NOT have recommended the Wildfire for what the OP is asking. Jeff and Erik have convinced me otherwise.

No the composite Wildfire is not the exact same boat as the royalex Wildfire/Yellowstone. It's a bit more lively and might require a tiny bit more skill to paddle effectively. Size and load bearing is pretty much the same between them.
I expect I'd be pretty happy using either as the OP describes.

Riverstrider’s SRT with a load
…rides much higher in the water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/8010812673/in/set-72157631592257478/

tandem prospector maybe?
I think a prospector paddles really well solo with a big load and even then is great on rivers. Not the bst in the wind on lakes, but nothing beats a guideboat for that anyway.

WF sold
I knew it wouldn’t last more than a day at less than $200 but I had an afternoon doctor’s appointment yesterday and didn’t want to make the drive the same day.

I’ll know better next time. Maybe I should move to a northern state where there’s more of a market for canoes!

Less than $200!!!
For a Wildfire?

Never heard of such a price for a Wildfire – the real composite ones or the later-named Yellowstone Royalex ones – unless it was virtually trashed.

sounds incredible, doesn’t it
but it’s true.

The boat was stored outside and had UV chalking. The seat had been moved down into a sitting/kayak position to be paddled with a double blade. It was sitting on a

box epoxied to the bottom and was also epoxied to the sides.

Some years ago a Flash hit craigslist
in NY for $200. Anyone know who snagged it? I spoke with the seller minutes after it was gone. She had no idea what it was till it was sold.

Freedom Solo
I am around 5.8 & around 240 and could get enough gear for a decent multi overnighter in a widfire. that being said the Freedom solo would seem a better choice. i currently paddle a freedom solo. can get more gear in the FS and it still turns and handle as good as the wildefire did for me. plus I can kneel or sit in many more positions in the FS than the could the Wildefire. the FS is going to catch more wind though.

Mohawk plant
Have a solo 14 from the TN factory. I picked mine up on the way home from vacation. so cant say how much shipping would cost you. but the service was great. its worth asking if any blemish hulls are in stock. could save some on the cost of the Canoe. downside is you would have little if any choice in color. But at the same time they would start as soon as your order was placed. when looking to order a Freedom Solo I was told by two difirent places(close to HOME) that I may have to wait a while due to how Mad river prefers to make and ship several canoes at a time.(Had to drive 200 miles to get one that was in stock)

You had Rx Wildfire/Yellowstone Solo,
not a composite Wildfire, correct.

Yes
Mike had a Royalex Yellowstone Solo/Wildfire.

Tripping in a Wildfire
I have tripped in the BWCAW in a wildfire with all my gear plus a steel woodstove and hot tent. 230 me and 70 lbs. No problem. I often trip in my Flashfire. The Wildfire can hold more than you want to paddle. Everyone has different expectations so what I like you may find disagreeable.

No.

– Last Updated: Jul-16-13 1:33 PM EST –

I'm about your size and owned a Wildfire Rx for about 2 weeks. I sold it because while it held the weight, it was very unresponsive with that load. Bigger canoes are both faster and easier to turn, as the Wildfire pretty much holds her stems in the water with a good load.

I'd look at a larger canoe.

Oh, and someone mentioned the Mad River Freedom Solo. I had one of those (guide) and it was a fantastic all-purpose solo. Very responsive, if not fast, and very comfortable/predictable. Highly recommended.

The question was about a WildFire
The Rx version is NOT a WildFire. The former does have a skegged stern. The latter has symmetric rocker.

The name confusion comes from licensing agreements, but the bottom line is the ABS version is quite unlike the composite. Its less turny (skegged stern) and slower for sure.