Moose Behavior

We we on Macintosh Lake in Algonquin this week and a male moose wandered into our campsite and made himself at home. He eventually bedded down right in front of a tent. At first we just went about fixing dinner but With night approaching and sleeping bags and extra clothes in the tent we made a lot of noise and the moose got up and trotted off. We moved the tent closer to the others but an hour later he came back and we scared him away again. Has anyone experienced similar behavior and what did you do?

Moose behavior
I have seen moose that seemed very unfazed with humans, walking through campsites and into neighborhoods., The humans involved have almost always given them the respect they deserve. Years ago there was a moose at the Chimney Pond campsite on Mt. Katadin that used to sleep right in front of the rangers cabin and caused no problems.

I would be very careful and give the animal a wide berth, you do not want to scare it or make it mad it is still a wild animal.

Wayward Moose

– Last Updated: Jul-25-13 2:37 PM EST –

I was finishing breakfast in the Absaroka Mtns. of Wyo and a cow and calf walked thru our campsite within 5 feet of the campfire. We were on a horse pack trip about 25 miles from the trailhead. The cow moved like she owned the place which in fact she did.

They went down to the Shoshone R for a drink and came back on the same tracks as before. Moose are not afraid of you so give them lots of room especially with calves, or during the fall rut.

Give em’ space, a way OUT…and you

– Last Updated: Aug-26-13 5:20 AM EST –

won't be threatened. No reason to be fearful. Their size can, at first, be intimidating. By nature they're not a dangerous animal but they ARE territorial(like many wild animals)...especially close to Fall(rut).

I canl attest to the fact
that a graphite fly rod will not stand up to being stepped on by a bull moose. Something to keep in mind.

…ouch, and I imagine it cost a
bundle…y/n?

Just want to share a word of advice…
that I learned during my 24 years in Montana. Early on, several Montana Fish & Game officers offered this observation: “The only difference between a moose and a grizzly bear is, once in a while, a grizzly is in a good mood !” Don’t be fooled by the docile appearance of some moose. They can transform into a camp/boat/tent/vehicle wrecker in an instant. Give them a wide berth and respect their 1/2 ton of muscle !

Meeses
Voyageur has it right. Respect moose because they don’t respect you. If one is hanging around, go somewhere else if you can’t shoo him away after the first try. You are in his territory.

LOL

– Last Updated: Aug-27-13 9:38 AM EST –

ever been stalked by a moose? Sometimes they are not sure of you. Other times because they can't see a whit they are curious.

I decided one day that Moose did not want me on his trail in May, so I decided to walk down the trail to my house. What I didn't plan for was Moose following me!

A friend on FB posted a wildlife cam pic. They want to see if bear are actually coming to the bait. Pic of moose smelling bait..its donuts.

is there another reason to respect

– Last Updated: Aug-28-13 1:13 PM EST –

a wild animal? (ie >Respect wildlife because they don't respect you). Some psychic connection cause we send annual funds to an urban organization to save..?
I mean, aside from respecting wildlife as living beings in general.... Wildlife often come out on the bad end in moose-human confrontations(that really aren't confrontations, just wildlife_behavior-illiterate people not recognizing the situation)
just sayin'....

Absolutely not pussycats!
Moose will charge you or your car. Bulls can be very dangerous during rut. Don’t make the mistake of grunting at one during the fall. A neighbor of mine tried to scare one off a haystack with her car horn. The bull promptly ran up the hood of the car and broke her windshield. I’ve seen them laying around in yards and outside cabins. Don’t think they want to be sociable with humans.

Mooses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKRjxySnKp0

…moose will turn & charge IF they
feel threatened. Tailgating a moose can be ~30’+, you never know. Many idiots from highway driving just think their vehicle can catch up & pass before the animal reacts. Have to remember that their eyesight is poor, and they’re blinded by headlights, but their hearing is pretty good. They know when you’re ~50’ away…

moose encounter
Three weeks ago we saw a young bull moose playing like a puppy dog in the surf off a beach at Isle Royale. We were pretty far off shore, but he spotted us, stared us down for 10 seconds and then hightailed it into the brush. For a first encounter it was pretty cool.

Yes…they love being in the water…

– Last Updated: Sep-11-13 10:19 PM EST –

especially in the heat of summer. Fun to watch from canoe...especially on those smaller, spring-fed, secluded ponds. They'll run right in and you can, on occasion, hear em' do bellyflops..on hot afternoons.