Installing float bags

Hi everyone, I have a rec kayak that I’m looking to make safer so I purchased some float bags for it, I just need a little guidance in installing them. They are the ones from Harmony, the one for the bow is specifically for 10’ rec boats which mine is. It has the two gromits in the back to be tied to something, I’m just not sure what I’m supposed to tie it too. The one for the stern is pretty straightforward, I think, in that I just shove it up behind the seat and then inflate it.

While I’m asking questions, is there anyway to install decklines to it? It has some bungees in the back but I would just like to look into something better in case I have some problems and need to be towed.

I’m sure someone will suggest that I just buy a better boat instead of spend money on this one so I feel the need to explain myself. My schedule is too hectic for me to get out on the water as much as I’d like (right now I’d be happy to get out on the water two more times this year) so I couldn’t justify spending a lot on a boat that isn’t going to get used much. I had kept my eye on the local craigslist but never found a really nice boat on there. Anyway I just want to make this boat safer in the event it should capsize. I have been taking lessons so I’m trying to learn the correct safety and paddle technique, but for right now this boat is my “stead”.

Easy, Padeyes
Easy to instal and bungy material easy to find. Drill a few holes and voila!

Personally, I prefer to instal with small bolts instead of rivets. Makes it more “Heavy duty.”

http://www.surftosummit.com/kayak-accessories-kayak-hardware-c-199_255.html

Perfect!
Well I see myself getting lost on this website haha. Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for :slight_smile:

Sometimes, the back corner tie loops
on a front float bag can be attached to the front end of the footpeg tracks. You might have to loosen them to add a connecting loop.

bolts
As others have said, add some bolt for the float bag. Requires drilling. I would consider doing the back bag also.

Deck lines are the same - you would add eye to the boat and then run a line through them. You could possibly use the same holes for both the connection for the float bag and the deck lines.

I added a grab loop for a sit on top Cobra Strike surf kayak I have, and while doing that, added an eye loop on the inside also (in case I need to connect something inside). I also added a hatch in the back to give me access to the inside (and some storage). I used parts by SeaLect Designs, which are available at most paddlesports shops. http://www.sealectdesigns.com/products/deck_hardware

On your deck line, you may be able to use some of the current hardware you have. For example, some older Necky touring boats dd not have deck line son front, but they did have bungees. You could feed the line through the current eyelets and also through the toggle eyelet. A friend did that for an older Looksha Sport. It is the lighter blue line seen in this picture: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4637993/IMGP0485-001.JPG

Deck Kits
There are kits out there for adding deck rigging. If you are planning on adding a perimeter line the same mounting hardware is used but you probably want rope instead of bungee like cord.

Here is video by NRS how to install the kit they sell and it includes everything you need. It is a pretty simple job.

http://community.nrs.com/duct-tape/2012/06/24/install-a-kayak-deck-rigging-kit/

The one downside to using bolts and nuts is if you have a hard time getting under your deck to secure the bolt. Having a small child helps with this but for very hard to reach areas it is a lot easier to use a pop rivet gun. But I also think the nuts and bolts is the way to go if you can.

You can a similar kit from ACK with rivets or bolts:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/311/Kayak-Deck-Rigging-Kit.html

Both are great online stores and have helpful easy to follow articles as well as customer support if you have questions.

I Didn’t Think About ACK
Someone just pointed you to their website and I’ve dealt with them quite a bit. Excellent folks to deal with!

D-Rings
If you are just doing mellow rec kayaking on a calm lake and wearing a PFD, I wouldn’t worry too much about securing the float bags. Just make sure they are inflated enough and stuffed in the bow. Finding some thin nylon rope or if close enough even a light-weight carabiner and attach to the end of the foot peg rail is best if you need more peace of mind.

The other option is to screw through the hull and attach eyelets to have a tie down point. This probably is close to the waterline so you would need to seal it.

Supposedly this stuff works for glueing D-rings to a plastic kayak but is a bit involved.

http://www.nrs.com/tech_talk/gflexepoxy.asp

Austin
I wished I lived in Austin sometimes…

Steed…and glue

– Last Updated: Aug-08-13 3:55 PM EST –

I think you meant other than stead.

As to the float bags, I would suggest epoxy or glue for bow D-rings, even if you have to redo it every few uses. Any holes in that part of the boat are going to leave you with it as a long term part of your landscaping plan. If the only non-original holes are in the top, for deck lines, it could actually make it easier to sell.

My suggestion is due to my reading your post as saying that, longer term, you want out of this boat and into one that is more featured. So don't do anything to it that will make it harder to give it a new home.

I might disagree with the idea of not securing them... I have seen float bags make impressive efforts to be free.

I run pad-eyes all over my boats…
I run a series of pad-eyes along the top deck from bow to stern using bolts and nuts with nylon inserts, then I run a rope through themn as a deck-line.

All the pad-eyes that are around the cockpit use extra-long bolts and I run a second pad-eye inside the cockpit exactly under the deck-pad=eye so I have something to clip my ‘inside’ gear to.

So why not try that.

Just rememberto never drill a hold below the water-line…

…yes! some people actually do that! and wonder why their boat leaks.

Thank you!!
Thanks everybody for your suggestions!! I looked all over online for some sort of directions for installing these and found nothing so I am super thankful for your help.