90 miler

Looks like I made the cut and the wife agreed to be my pit crew/shuttle bunny/tent setter upper.

Since it’s my first attempt at this, I have a few questions that I’m sure the seasoned racers can answer.

Just want to get all my ducks in a row before hand.

Are there places during the day where my wife can stop and hand off food and water? Or should I plan on carrying enough for the day? It says they provide some pit stops, are these considered resupply stops to fill up a camelbak, or just grab a cup of water on the go?

Thanks Mike

In for the answers
I’ve got a 97 two day race two day race in less then a month.

On Day 1 there are several places
the camp ground carry is an ideal place.

On day 2 there is none until about eight miles from the finish in the Raquette River.

On day three there are a few places.

There are pit stops along the way where they give out cups of water and chocolate bars.

We shortly should get in the mail an overview of where all the pit stops are.

Train hard and pray for good weather

Jack L

Thanks for the info.
Train hard, LOL, a bit late for that. I got what I got, whether its good enough is yet to be determined. What I have determined is that I’m still not as fast as I would have like to have been.

I figured there would be some info coming on pitting, but was expecting it at check in. Just trying to get things prepared.

Do you know how far apart the waves start?

Do you know cut off miles and times?

Thanks, Mike

It varies Mike
Any where from five minutes and more, depending on the roll call and conditions.

Unless you are fast, it is good to be in the beginning waves.

Last year on day two, it was so windy and nasty with bad storms predicted for the afternoon that many of the waves were started immediately after the roll call with some of the boats not even lined up.

Jack L

class?
Windwalker,

What class are you paddling? What boat?

For your first time pit crew the best advice is follow the crowd to the necessary carries. There will be time from your start for your pit crew to pack up camp and meet you for resupply. As JackL said, on day two there is no place till about the 3/4 point at Axton’s Landing/ Stoney Creek outlet that your pit crew can reach you without a long hike to Raquette Falls. We take 3 liters each and resupply at Axton’s Landing. On day 3 we go all the way on 2 liters each. Day one has the most opportunites for resupply and being first time you should plan on using them. As much for things you may have forgotten or just found out you need or want; like rain gear or sunglasses. The first carry at Inlet going between 5th Lake and 6th Lake is soon after the start, but we always try to have our pit crew meet us there to check if we forgot anything or broke anything.

It has been sunglasses more than once when we started in cloudy or foggy weather and weren’t thinking of sunglasses. The pit crew finds out what we need and can get those things to us at the 8th Lake carry or Brown’s Tract Carry. Brown’s Tract Carry is our scheduled water drop. The pit crew is waiting near the end of the carry where we have to stop and take off the wheels. That saves us from toting the canoe and full hydration bottles over the carry. We get cold liquids for the last half into Blue Mountain Lake. The last opportunity for your pit crew is the bridge at Raquette Lake village. They can drop things into your boat as you go under the bridge. The Marion River carry has an official pit stop with cups of water and candy bars and fruit. No walk-in for pit crews only officials.

The paddlers guide coming to you in the mail will explain a lot of this. And others in your class will help answer your questions as you go. Both you and your pit crew will make new friends. That’s one of the nicest things about the 90 Miler. The official song puts it well;“90 Miles of hard work and 90 miles of water. 90 miles of family and friends.”

See you, JackL and Nanci,Red Cross Randy,Gearwoman,Vitamin Ray, and hundreds of other 90 Miler Family in Old Forge.

Bill

Everyone needs the video
We watched it the other night for the umpteenth time and got excited just seeing all our friends.

Jack L

Drinking system
So I think I’m going to go with a camelbak for a drink system. This should make portaging quick and painless. I have a few camelbak’s so my pit can just hand me another one rather than refilling the bladder. And can pick the correct size for the upcoming distance.

I don’t want to wear it while in the boat. Any suggestions on how to secure it in the boat and still have access to the tube? I’m thinking I will need a longer hose for sure.

Thanks, Mike

Just a velcro strap
securing it to a thwart, or one of your seat supports.

For what it is worth: I would advise practicing coming into a portage landing and then taking off again-trying to simulate what you will have to experience.

jack l

Camelback attachment
I use a carabiner attached with a string to the thwart behind the seat. Clip it to top loop of the Camelback. Faster than velcro.

Paddlers guide ?
did any of you get yours in the mail?

I keep looking and am wondering if it got lost in the mail.

I figured I would call Mac’s livery tomorrow

Jack L

weeks ago
Mine came several weeks ago.

Hmm
I got the yellow booklet the registration came with, but not a lot of detailed info in that? Hoping there is something with more info for my pit crew coming.

Mike

That is what I am talking about
Other years we got a “Paddlers guide” long before now with detailed info in it including the final order of the classes.

That list of entrants that is on line is by no means correct

jack L

Portage yoke
I have a clamp on solo yoke with pads, but am looking for some alternate ideas.

I think a lighter weight and a quicker attachment design may be in order. What works best for a solo?

Thanks.

Paddlers Guide
Jack,

Raymondo got his and I got mine today. Depending on how often the U.S. Mule heads into your part of the Carolinas, it could be in your mailbox tomorrow or Wednesday. I never remember it taking so long. I will read mine and report if there’s any major changes.

Bill

Got mine
Mine came today. Lots of good information.

Weather
The long range forecast is looking favorable at this point. Getting pretty stoked.

It looks perfect !
Hope it doesn’t change.

Jack L

weather
I’ve been paddling the 90 for 17 years. I can remember very few bad weather days. Usually I think it is too hot - and we have seen 90 degrees in the past.

Last year day 2 was an exception with higher than usual wind on Long Lake, causing a lot of problems with a cross wind out of the east on the north end. If you were a late finisher, you faced high headwinds and heavy rain coming into the finish at the Crusher.

Two years ago day 3 had strong headwind on Upper Saranac Lake, and strong tail wind on Middle Saranac, causing big rollers that were determined to turn boats sideways. But although some wind is expected… long lasting wet weather is rare.