food

If you are looking for energy that is…
the way to go

Prior to our four month trip to the Florida Keys every year we get a case of PB at Sams Club.

We paddle every day and that is our main stay

Naturally at night it has to be a grilled Mahi sandwich with a couple of Margaritas

Jack L

chi chi junk food.
just tried this one in our jetBoil last weekend…from jetboil recipe page…its high in the chemical dept but sometime you need a flavor boost…1 package of ramen noodles crushed cooked and drained, then add seasoning pkt, the 1 handful of doritos (don’t read the label) and a few slim jim meat sticks sliced. stir and eat.

Queso Spaghetti
Coot 2-3 servings worth of angel hair pasta, drain.

Add

1 can chopped mild chiles, drained.

1 can mushrooms, drained.

1 can queso cheese sauce.

2-4 oz diced summer sausage.

Stir frequently while heating.

Probably not as healthy as it could be but tasty and filling.

SYOTR

Randy

Penne Alfredo with smoked salmon
Cook penne and make creamy alfredo sauce from packet. Add smoked salmon, some parmesan ( I do carry fresh) and rehydrated peas.

Garnish with almonds.

Well that is one of our nineteen meals. I am drying tomatos and olives for Pasta Puttanesca.

Pasta
Instead of salmon you can add some cooked fresh bacon for an awesome pasta carbonara.

pasta
Now someone’s speaking my language, trip’s over but we had some great meals: ribeye steak with caper tarragon cream sauce, linguine with fresh asparagus,prosciutto and peppers,2 meals of fresh walleye, spaghetti, bacon and eggs for breakfast most days- great weather,great trip -Except for the trashed up campsite on Darky( Quetico)… really! poop on top of ground near campsite, cig butts everywhere, and a spent propane can. We left it in better shape.

thanksgiving dinner
I get stove top dressing and portion it out. I add dry gravy from the readily available packets. To this I add chunk chicken from a foil packet and some dried cranberies. I started using it while hiking, it is light weight and all I need do is heat up some water in a jet boil and pour it into the freezer bag I store the portioned food in. No need for dishes, and unlike Mountain House I dont need an extra long spoon to get it out of the bag.

bread
mary jane’s organic has some great shepherd’s bread that you can cook in a skillet

mashed potatoes
I do pretty much the same for the “thanksgiving dinner”, but also add instant mashed potatoes to the stuffing mix, about 50-50. Great flavor and extremely satisfying, it will keep you going for a long time.

Long Trip Food
For a recent long distance multi-month trip:

Breakfast: Flavored oatmeal and Nescafe or Folgers caffeinated instant coffee. We bought the oatmeal in small prepackaged pouches, as well as pre-packaging it ourselves in meal-sized doses in baggies.

Lunch: Salmon or tuna fish sandwiches and PB&J sandwiches. If we stopped near a town, we would pick up some bread, otherwise we relied on stocks of tortillas in 22-packs. These tortillas stayed edible and “fresh” for weeks. Squeeze bottles of mayo and mustard for flavor for the fish sandwiches. Despite urban myths about mayo, it was good for at least 7-10 days after first opening, even in the south’s 95F heat. By then they were empty anyway. The salmon and tuna fish came in sealed pouches, can’t remember the exact weights, somewhere around 2 to 2-1/2 oz. each.

Dinner: Assorted blends of dried rice meals (Knorr brand, ~5-1/2 oz), and dried mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand, 4 oz). Surprisingly, only one per person of either was sufficient for dinner even after a hard days paddling. One Knorr rice meal was sometimes too much, and we’d save the extra for the next day. Mix a pack of the rice or potato mix in 7 oz. boiling water. These meals are quite inexpensive, but I don’t remember their cost.

Energy snacks: 3-4 total/day of assorted PowerBars, Cliff Bars and Nature’s brand granola bars.

Fluid: Gatorade mix. We pre-packaged the powder into baggies for 1 gallon containers.

blueberry pancakes…but everything
previously mentioned sounds great.

After three weeks on the water
with Clif bars, if I never see another one, it will be too soon.

drying ingredients?
I always make the sauce and dehydrate the finished sauce. Puttanesca is my favorite tomato sauce, try dehydrating it my way, it’s much easier (plus, I would end up eating all the olives before they got into the sauce).

Lyn

Rice
If you are into rice (like my family) Goya and Carolina mike some nice rice and beans meals good for 2 adults. Add some canned chicken and you have an awesome meal. They do need to simmer for about 20 minutes or so.

Rice
If you are into rice (like my family) Goya and Carolina make some nice rice and beans meals good for 2 adults. Add some canned chicken and you have an awesome meal. They do need to simmer for about 20 minutes or so.

DO Chicken Stuff
When I take a dutch oven, I’ll bring a frozen rear half of a yard bird. Toss some rice, dried tomatos, chopped onions, some dried beans and some salt/adobo/cajun spice and the right amount of water (this takes experimentation, but you can start 1:1 and rehydrate your beans and tomatos first). Lay the quarters on top and put coals under and on top of the oven. If using pine, be sure to have a blazing fire going for back up coals. About an hour and a half later you’ll have a fine meal. If the water is just right, you’ll get some browned crusty rice along the edges. Keep the coals going on top to brown the chicken skin.

chi chi
that sound gross…you eat that crap

food
I like real food. We will be paddling the Sacramento River, CA in two weeks and fishing for king salmon. It is good over a fire.

Beef stew, corned beef and cabbage, fajitas, carne asada, stacked enchiladas, chicken with mole sauce. Lots of salad and decent bread. Some red wine and beer.

Tortellini
Barilla and Dececco make a 3 cheese and cheese/spinach tortellini that does not need to be refrigerated. It is very light and compact (almost like freeze dried). It does need to boil for 10 minutes in a lot of water but no more than regular pasta. Add some olive oil and onions and mushrooms and you are good to go. Adding a pouch/can meat or fish and you have extra calories.

Happiness is…
Certainly one of the best and most appreciated camp cooking skills is toe learn how to bake bread at camp - especially by campfire.

I am not talking about the old over-rated Banock cakes.

Learn how to make yeast breads baked right in the fire with or without a Dutch Oven