90 miler

Paddlers guide ?
did any of you get yours in the mail?

I keep looking and am wondering if it got lost in the mail.

I figured I would call Mac’s livery tomorrow

Jack L

weeks ago
Mine came several weeks ago.

Hmm
I got the yellow booklet the registration came with, but not a lot of detailed info in that? Hoping there is something with more info for my pit crew coming.

Mike

That is what I am talking about
Other years we got a “Paddlers guide” long before now with detailed info in it including the final order of the classes.

That list of entrants that is on line is by no means correct

jack L

Portage yoke
I have a clamp on solo yoke with pads, but am looking for some alternate ideas.

I think a lighter weight and a quicker attachment design may be in order. What works best for a solo?

Thanks.

Paddlers Guide
Jack,

Raymondo got his and I got mine today. Depending on how often the U.S. Mule heads into your part of the Carolinas, it could be in your mailbox tomorrow or Wednesday. I never remember it taking so long. I will read mine and report if there’s any major changes.

Bill

Got mine
Mine came today. Lots of good information.

Weather
The long range forecast is looking favorable at this point. Getting pretty stoked.

It looks perfect !
Hope it doesn’t change.

Jack L

weather
I’ve been paddling the 90 for 17 years. I can remember very few bad weather days. Usually I think it is too hot - and we have seen 90 degrees in the past.

Last year day 2 was an exception with higher than usual wind on Long Lake, causing a lot of problems with a cross wind out of the east on the north end. If you were a late finisher, you faced high headwinds and heavy rain coming into the finish at the Crusher.

Two years ago day 3 had strong headwind on Upper Saranac Lake, and strong tail wind on Middle Saranac, causing big rollers that were determined to turn boats sideways. But although some wind is expected… long lasting wet weather is rare.

Paddling C2 Stock
Hubby and I paddling the C2 stock class this year. It is only my second 90 miler. First one was in 2011. Didn’t make the cut last year. We paddled C4 in 2011. Got 3rd. Loved it, in spite of the blisters. Have a new plan to prevent that this year. We did not have a pit crew then and won’t now. Plan to carry all of our supplies with us. We placed bicycle packs on the thwarts to hold supplies. Electrolyte tabs and Motrin or Aleve duck taped to the canoe where we can easily reach it. Drink system is a half gallon cooler with plastic tubing and bite valve. Don’t forget a cool hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. May be a good idea to have a small backpack size first aid kit tucked in somewhere. I remember the water and snicker at the portage. I was too dry to eat a snickers!!! Lucky me. I paddled with three men who told me. “Just run and get to the other end” while they pulled the boat across the portages. I only had to help on the one with the hill covered with many rocks and roots. Will be much harder for me this year. Good luck to you all in the 90. We are leaving for the ADK’s today and will be at the eighth lake campground all week.

We are C-2 Stock also
Will you guys use wheels or will hubby be carrying it ?

We have always used wheels, but I am carrying it this year.

We will be leaving here in NC Wednesday morning for the two day trek up there. Another couple from Atlanta that is racing in C-2 stock will be spending tomorrow night with us, and then driving up too.

We vowed that last year would be our last, but couldn’t resist it again this year.

Jack L

Addicting
Jack,

Where else would you want to be on the Friday after Labor Day?

See you in Old Forge,

Bill

That was cool!
It was tough, fun and rewarding all at the same time.

Made some new friends, but missed all the p-netter’s.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, it helped greatly in being prepared.

Everything went smoothly!

It was nice to meet you!
So nice to meet you, Nancy and Red Cross Randy. Hope to see you again next year. We went up on Monday and spent the week at 8th Lake Campground. Returned home today. As much as I love the Adirondacks, I am sure glad to be sleeping at home tonight. I was glad to see that you did well in the race. An unfortunate navigation error cost Mark and I first place by 2 minutes. The competition was tough. There was absolutely no room for error. Hope to get together a C4 women’s team for next year.

Slide show

– Last Updated: Sep-10-13 6:38 AM EST –

My wife/pitcrew put together a pretty cool slideshow. It's 18 minutes long, so grab a cold one and some popcorn and enjoy. The music she found is pretty cool.

Happy to be part of the 90 mile family.

https://vimeo.com/74172886

Looks like you have to cut and paste the link, let me know if it works.

Mike

It was nice meeting you also
We’ll be back next year (“The good Lord willing, and the creek don’t rise!”)

We were quite happy taking an hour off our last years time, and not using wheels for the first time made the Raquette Falls carry a piece of cake for us.

We stayed yesterday and Randy and Patty led us on delightful ten mile lilly dipping paddle and now today we are half way back home to NC.

Jack L

Awesome job
I just finished watching it.

And congratulations on the wind and battling that strong quartering wind on day three in Middle and Lower Saranac Lakes.

You C-1 guys have always been my heros!

Jack L

Saw it on Facebook
Great video. Congratulations on your win. See ya next year?

Kudos to you
for getting back in a canoe on Monday. We will get out for a couple of hours of paddling practice today. Spent the past three cleaning the camper, doing the laundry, canning the tomatoes and apples that were ripe and awaiting our return. Seems as though the work is never done. Vacation ends on Monday.