12-14' small volume, light and cheap...?

Quiet World
When I mentioned a “local paddle school’s used boat list”, I was talking about Quiet World. :slight_smile: I took one of their classes and paddled the Tampico that I really liked. I’ll keep checking their list for sure.

What do you like about the Tampico 140S?
I test paddled one a month or so ago and discovered it was very difficult for me to turn. Might not be your best option for smaller streams if tight turns are required. Of course, I was trying higher speed turns, not slow turns.

I’m 5’6" and 160 lbs.

here’s another source:

– Last Updated: Aug-27-13 3:40 PM EST –

http://www.kayakcorral.com/specials.htm

These are really good folks and they likely have more on sale that isn't on this list.

good luck!

QWS boat list
s/be expanding very soon. Most likely around Sept 15. They used to sell lightly used pfds and Bending Branches paddles too, don’t know if they still do, in case your son needs them.

Summit Sports is also a Hurricane dealer. They’ll be selling some of their demo fleet after Sept 10 which is their last announced Demo day. If you can make it out to Kent Lake (Island Lake rec area) from 3-7 pm that day your son can not only try kayaks but you can check their weights and get an idea which ones might be coming up for sale.

Brighton store has a tent sale going on since Aug 26. Might be boats there, sure to be gear (paddles, pfds, clothing, water shoes, safety equipment etc) there.

Kayak Corral
yup they are a really good outfit. Good people. Dana Corbett has been paddling over 30 years.

They have a few Dagger Alchemies in the back, iirc, at surprisingly good prices. You have to ask about them. They are in the high 40s, weight-wise. But in a year your son will be lifting both your boats up :wink:

They carry the Perception Tribute. Saw a floor model earlier this year.

And Hurricanes too.

tight river turns
The older 135S was much better than the 140S (or for that matter the even lunkier 140L) when it came to turns. The 140 series came about to make tracking even easier for new kayakers and something had to give.

I paddled w. a guy who had a Hurricane Excursion 140 and acquitted himself very well on the twisty turns of the Black River near Onaway MI. I might go for that or the Excursion 128. but first I’d get rid of the gawky upper seat back on all the Excursions.

Kayak Corral
That’s where I bought my Tsunami. Great store. I live in Ann Arbor, so convenient for me. I’ve looked through their ‘truck sale’ list (I think that’s what they called it) but I’ll go by sometime soon and see what they may have for sale in the store.

Tampico 140S
Well… you’re asking someone who paddled for 25 years in rental kayaks, so pretty much ANY kayak that’s better sized for me is going to feel like a dream!

I’ve heard the Tsunami 120 described as a “tub” but, from my perspective, I love it. The Tampico 140S is a bit narrower, with a lower deck than the Tsunami and probably fits me a little better. It’s also lighter. I just found it really comfortable to paddle.

Delta S12
That one looks great. Thanks.

Thanks - added to my list

experiences differ

– Last Updated: Aug-28-13 3:57 PM EST –

and give us our basis for our comparisons. I've paddled both the Tampico 135s and the 140s and that was the basis for mine. I agree that either one paddles a lot differently than a typical rental rec kayak.

We all gotta start somewhere. In my case, I paddled a rec kayak once, got one a week later, got bored w. it a month later. Then got a Tampico 135S. Three months later I got a 16 foot 20" fiberglass seakayak. I didn't know that's not the typical path. Wasn't checking in with anyone about what I "should" have been paddling at that stage lol.

It's all good by me if it gets you where you wanna go, is fun while you're there, and has the features needed to get you back safely in your paddling venue(s) of choice. I enjoy discussing differences in kayaks but not at the expense of paddling time ;)

I think a lot of fun can be had w.the Tampicos (any model) and the Tsu 120.They are light for length and have many desirable safety & comfort features for doing gentle rivers or most lakes - which is typical Michigan water.

Perception Sonoma Airalight

– Last Updated: Aug-28-13 7:59 PM EST –

These are 13.6 feet (there is a shorter version too) at about 40lb in the thermoplastic Airalight construction. They are a bit tippier than a typical rec kayak but even my wife as a first timer managed one on calm water. $5-600 used. Lack a front bulkhead but there is enough flotation for a rescue and then you can dump/pump (it won't sink on you). They are quite efficient swede form shape and fast for their 12 or so foot effective waterline length.

Here is a quick video from when I had mine a few years back. I still miss it even though I was a bit too big for it... http://youtu.be/DV0mbQ-HDD8

I would think the Eddyline Samba would be an excellent choice too, but more $$$

Manitou13
Not low volume but a good kayak

impex mystic
Used Impex Mystic, someone near me just sold a carbon kevlar one (with rubber hatches) for $800.

Wow, good price
I do have boats like Stellar S12/S14, Impex Mystic/Hesper/Gale, Delta 12S, Swift Saranac Classic, etc. on my look-out list but I haven’t had much hope that I’d be able to find one for less than $1K.

Dagger Alchemy LV
A used Dagger Alchemy LV would be a great river boat for a small paddler.

Boreal Designs
Pakesso. Bought today for less than half retail price in the carbon fiber layup.

Time to cruise boat stores for end of season sales.

New Kestrel
at $598.99 and delivered to your door for a extra $100. A kayak he can also grow into.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/current-designs-kestrel-120-recreational-kayak-rotomolded~p~5135x/?filterString=s~kayak%2F&colorFamily=02

I wish we had boat stores around here.
I have to cruise 240 miles to get to the nearest boat shop of any consequence.

How it all turned out
Well, it didn’t go exactly as I’d planned…

DS wanted to make sure that his best friend could get a boat as well and, after some negotiation, we decided on two smaller rec boats instead of one touring boat. He got a Wilderness Systems Aspire 100 and his friend got a Dagger Zydeco 9. Got them both as demo boats from Kayak Corral. Along with two decent paddles, managed to get it all for close to the budget. Took them out over the weekend and the boys are both very happy. Mom is happy since I’m still significantly faster than them in my Tsunami. :wink:

It wasn’t easy fitting my boy in an inexpensive rec boat. He’s skinny with long legs and BIG feet (yeah, sort of like a gangly puppy… lol) Had a tough time folding his legs and feet in a boat that was narrow and low enough for the rest of his body.

Like anything else for teenage boys, I expect they will grow out of these in a year or two but, overall, I’m happy with the way it turned out. Thanks for everyone’s help.