Marine weather radio

Wow, wanted to get out this weekend and forecast changing and not for the better but not a 100% washout. OK, just getting started on getting all the gear I might need but can I get a recommendation on a little weather radio, preferably Amazon-supported (I have “Prime” and can have it in time for the weekend if i act fast).

Otherwise where I’m staying I can watch the TV new forecast and hope for the best.

here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/Icom-01-Floating-Handheld-Marine/dp/B001PUA91Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377702118&sr=8-1&keywords=icom+radio

This is the radio I have, but amazon has plenty of other models. I’ve never had trouble with the ICOM line and have heard the same about Standard Horizon. If you google “amazon handheld marine radio” you’ll come to this page and can browse through the options.

Agree that a Marine VHF
is the way to go rather than just a weather radio.

They all receive weather channels, but if you really venture asea, they are potentially invaluable.

ICOMs are great radios. I have had a M72 for about 5 years now, it is utterly reliable. The M36 slush linked is also an excellent radio, a friend of mine has one and she really likes hers. Although only a year old, it has proven more than capable on the water, and only the test of time will indicate its durability compared to the M72.

THANKS, GUYS!
Ordered. Hopefully I can power-through how to use it once arrived, such as selecting frequencies, etc. OK, a little more than I anticipated but I guess anything beats becoming a “news item”.

Due to mediocre hearing on my part, the girl in the front seat will be monitoring it, I guess - well, THAT should be interesting.

I guess it won’t pick up the local classic-rock station – oops, wrong topic. :^/

Channel?
Showed up yesterday, and I charged it, have not started reading the owner’s manual. My only complaint so far is it feel like I need to break out the impact wrench to get it un-clicked form the charging station.

Is there a weather channel to monitor? Or just leave on 16? I did a search and found this:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf

Bottom of Your Chart
Ones that say “WX”.

owner’s manual?
Here is the link - http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloads/DownloadDocument.aspx?Document=465

Page 9 explains how to tune in.

The ICOMs can be set to scan

– Last Updated: Aug-30-13 10:57 AM EST –

either all of the channels you tag, or dual or triple scan. Your manual will explain how to set it up.

The WX channels will tune to your local marine broadcast frequencies. Often you can pick up a couple unless you are remote. Pick the clearest one. Which channel it is will vary from location to location, so click through them if you are paddling somewhere else that is some distance away from your normal area (e.g mid ChesBay vs lower NC coast).

For communications, 16 is the primary hailing frequency and 9 is the the alternate. If you broadcast on 16, say for a general announcement, or calling someone when you don't know what channel they are on, move to another channel after you establish contact. Beside hailing, it is the primary safety and emergency channel.

The general pleasure boating use channels are 67, 68, 69, 71, 72, (9 is actually included but is more of a hailing than general communication channel).

You can set your radio to scan 16 (always a good idea) your general group communication channel, and a weather channel if you wish. However, the ICOMs will also detect weather special alert broadcasts when in dual or triple scan mode whether set or not. I usually use 16, 9 or 22a (depending on if is an active day for USCG announcements; they will broadcast a general statement then switch to Two Two Alpha for followup details) and our group's communication channel.

Here are a couple of good guides to general Marine VHF use and protocols:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=322316

http://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/navigation-a-weather/vhf-use-the-basics

Ones that say “WX”.
“Ones that say “WX”.”

Thanks and that’s also in the back of the owner’s manual.

CH 67 is commercial
Technically Channel 67 is for commercial traffic as opposed to non-commercial/recreational traffic. Just to be OCD about stuff.

Joke’s on me
Well, we got back from a week on Virginia’s Lake Anna, learning the kayak. The weather that had high storm chance % for four days turned out to be drizzle the first night and then beautifully clear the rest of the week.

If nothing else, it got me to buy a radio, which we kept bungee’d to the deck as a “security blanket”.

Thanks for all the advice!

good times
next time you go out, try tethering it to your pfd (in a pocket on a D ring) or somewhere on your person (arm or back shoulder. If you’re ever in the water and separated from your boat it comes in handy.

Small heavy objects under bungees are more likely to become tribute to Neptune,and if bungeed behind you you might not realize it happened.

Also fun, (and educational) to listen to chatter on the emergency Channel 16 and the vessel to vessel chatter on 67,68,69. Just listening breaks no protocol.