Launching in New Jersey

I’m new at Kayaking. I see on the map, on this site, that shows launch locations that there are a number of spots near me. I’ve checked on a few of the municipal web-sites and they say that a permit is required to launch any type of “powered or non-powered” watercraft. I assume that includes kayaks. How do I find launch locations that don’t require a launch permit (sometimes costing $100).

Ken C.

Central NJ

Central NJ
I also paddle in Central NJ very frequently and only know of a couple places that require a ramp maintenance permit. You can buy the permit annually for $15. (a fishing license can be substituted for this) The places that require this permit are listed below.

1. Round Valley Reservoir, Angler Access
  2. Assunpink WMA, Assunpink Lake
  3. Assunpink WMA, Stone Tavern Lake
  4. Assunpink WMA, Rising Sun Lake
  5. Dennis Creek WMA, Dennis Creek
  6. Tuckahoe WMA, Tuckahoe River
  7. Mad Horse Creek WMA, Mad Horse Creek
  8. Union Lake WMA, Union Lake
  9. Menantico Ponds WMA, Menantico Ponds
  10. Prospertown Lake WMA, Prospertown Lake

Source: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wmaregs.htm

I don’t know of many other places in NJ that require a launch permit. Where were you looking to paddle?

Also, the launch map on this website will sometimes include if there are fees or not for launching.

Ditto
I too paddle central NJ quite a bit and have never had to pay for a permit. Sometimes a place has a day-parking fee (like Spruce Run) but it’s usually not too much considering the services offered.

If you ask for a specific type of water in the area, you’re bound to get lots of suggestions.

NJ Launch sites
http://www.jsska.org/

Raritan River
I’m interested in touring the Raritan River but it appears that most, if not all, the launch sites are municipal boat ramps that require a permit. Is there anywhere else that I can launch on the Raritan which doesn’t require a permit?

Round Valley and Spruce Run
Yes I went to Round Vally last weekend and was surprised that I needed a permit. I decided to go to Spruce Run since the trip to Walmart for the permit would have eaten up most of the day.

Raritan River
http://nynjbaykeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/raritanriveraccess.pdf

Check this link out. It has information on most of the raritan river launches. The sayreville one appears to be the only launch that absolutely requires a permit. Edison does if you have a trailer but if your car topping it appears to be free.

This is also slightly dated as 3 of the dams on the map no longer exist. (Robert Street Dam, Nevius Street Dam came out a month ago, and the Calco Dam)

Permit to be on Water or Use Ramp?
Do you have to pay for a permit for the above locations to actually be on the water in a kayak/canoe or just to use the ramp?

It rarely seems that rules are clear for kayaks/canoes in most areas and I frequently find experience paddlers that disagree.

In PA we have two state launch permits (Fishing vs Parks) that are interchangeable. The rule of thumb seems to be that both departments “own” launch ramps as well as water – either a river/lake in a state park or a lake managed by the Fish and Boat commission. If you use a ramp or on water owned by either organization you need to have one of the launch permits. But if don’t use an owned ramp and the water is not “owned” then you don’t need a permit. Rarely do you need to actually use a ramp to launch a kayak – the mud next to it is fine. In general this seems to mean, if you go to a state park you need a permit. Anywhere else you are probably OK – unless it is county park that requires a permit. I have only ever been checked in parks and never on a river or creek.

i’ve never
had to pay a fee to drop my boat in from my truck.

I mostly paddle the pines. get yourself a copy of Gertler’s Garden state guide and come south

Raritan river
"I’m interested in touring the Raritan River but it appears that most, if not all, the launch sites are municipal boat ramps that require a permit. Is there anywhere else that I can launch on the Raritan which doesn’t require a permit?"

Paddle it all the time and no permits required. Plemnty of side of the road launches from Clinton to Perth Amboy. Try the confluence of the north and south branches. launch at any bridge. Plenty of parks and Deleware and Raritan canal acces to raritan and millstone rivers.

The baykeeper as mentioned before has a pamphlet showing the river and possible launches.

I wouldn’t go paddling if I had to pay.

Checkout Cheesquake creek, Morgan creek, south river, farrington lake, Amboy beach. Plenty of launch sites not designated in pamphlets.