Need help choosing!

Yes - kayaking and shape related designs
… are available. another thing to think about is that SOTs often have high seat backs. It could be worth looking for one with a mesh back that won’t interfere with the seat. Find a good paddle store while you are shopping, try some on, and talk to the staff.

Skimmer
folks, The OP stated her budget was $800 or under. So that’s where I kept my suggestions.

Skimmer is over budget whether it’s listing for MRSP ($999) or over. Some paddleshops are listing it for over and getting it. It will be a very popular model for Hurricane.

A new Phoenix (any size)has an MSRP well over $800, closer to $1100 and up depending on length. Which is why I suggested OP look for used ones. Also, Phoenix series doesn’t come w. seat so in buying a NEW Phoenix OP has that cost, too.Buying a used one she is likely to get a seat w. it and maybe other gear.

Skimmer has an integrated seat but I hear it is a very wet ride and doesn’t hold up that well :wink:

Look at Necky Vectors.

– Last Updated: Aug-06-13 11:00 PM EST –

They come in 13' and 14' and are very user friendly. On the light side for SOT.A local store had them on sale for $700.Quick and easy to handle in the water. more narrow than most SOT.

http://www.backcountry.com/necky-vector-13-kayak?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6bmVja3kgdmVjdG9yIDEzOjA6MA

Skimmer seat—
Haha, RW. The Skimmer is a very dry ride when paddling; I don’t need scupper plugs at all. Very dry, that is, unless it rains on the way to the launch, and then I’ll have a wet seat all day. Not a problem in Florida summer and I’m still figuring out what to do when it gets cooler.

They have had a problem with some of the new airstream seat backs–the spring popped out on mine the first time I tried to adjust the seat. The good news is that when I called them about it, they sent me a new seat back right away and this one seems to be fine. Great customer service.

I also think a used Phoenix would be a good choice.

And…
The OP did not indicate that $800 was a firm price ceiling, hence my recommendation.

Many of the suggestions in this thread are fine boats…for someone who has no trouble dealing with 50-60+ pounds. The OP stated that she will be off by herself. Speaking from experience as an older female who often paddles alone, light weight is of prime importance, otherwise the boat just won’t get used. If I can find something used that meets my specs, great, but what’s the point of buying something just because the price is right if it’s just going to be too heavy and cumbersome to deal with? That’s why I bit the bullet and bought the Skimmer. Absolutely no regrets.

IMO
the Ocean Venus would likely be your best bet.Good all around performance,stability,light weight and price.ACK Outlet has some great deals on several Ocean kayaks and some others.

http://www.austinkayak.com/outlet/subcategory/10/Sit-on-Top-Singles/page/1

I got the Prowler 13 Angler from them a short while back.Great people to do biz with.Don’t worry about buying a “blem”.It’s just cosmetic/barely perceptable.

take a look
at this link. fill in the blanks and enjoy your search

http://www.topkayaker.net/KayakData/KayakStats7.asp

nitpicky gnat lol
she said she hoped to stay under $800, but was willing to go higher for the right one. So we’re straining at gnats here.

since she will need a paddle, in most cases a seat,and she also stated she will definitely need a attachments for her rack system. She may need an SOT cart to get to her desired put ins. Add all that to the price of the kayak itself and a SOT costing $800 or less begins to look more desirable.

In my responses I chose to look at things in a more comprehensive way. You take a different tack and focus on boat cost alone.

Neither is wrong. Giving the OP options is right.

We are all trying to help here.

Need half choosing!
wow! Exactly the kind of input I was looking for! I’ve researched, read articles, and looked at reviews…but yours is the kind of input that only comes from experience! Thank you, RavenWing, gnatcatcher and sissy 103! This forum has been so valuable! Educated and enlightened me! Totally changed my mind about what to purchase! Following up on ALL suggestions! Have plans to take my maiden voyage end of Aug., so will decide/purchase soon!

Need help choosing
Thank you, string, Rival51 and Bernie! Appreciate your advice and links! Making my decision easier, AND a better match for my individual needs!

Need help choosing!
Thank you, “Goose”! Very helpful link!

message me anytime
if you like. I owned a Phoenix SOT, helped a couple other women get theirs, and on Saturday I get to paddle a Hurricane Skimmer 116. The new Skimmer 128 is just out too.

sissy103 owns both a Phoenix and a Skimmer, she is an excellent source on both.

That is not to say they’re the only ones, or “best” ones out there.

there are many good ones to explore. Be sure to demo as many as you can. Questions like stability, wet vs. dry ride, handling, and weight to manage (on water and off) will all answer themselves.

Try paddles of different materials and of slightly different lengths (most like 230-240cm in your case) which is a learning process, too.

SOTs are fun. And, if you can restrain yourself (lol) there will be lots of sales after Labor Day.

Curious
RW, I’ll be curious to hear what you think about the 116. I’m missing mine right now; it’s in Florida and I’m not. :frowning:

Coming from the land of SINKs, I was impressed with it. I didn’t even try the 128 due to storage issues. My husband got a great deal on an Ocean Kayak Caper, but I definitely prefer the Skimmer.

What? what?
I thought you were going to demo the Skimmer 128, too. And they’re introducing the Skimmer 140, as well, so I hope you get to hop on that.

Need help choosing!
Thank you! Don’t know if I can wait for the sales, tho! (Backcountry has a sale on Venice 11 now…Austin Kayak has a good reg. price w/ free shipping too) still scanning for used kayaks , too, to see if I can snag a better quality one within my budget. Will keep everyone posted on my final choice, and feedback Re: my maiden paddle! = )

Skimmer 116
is in their demo fleet right now.

I don’t think they’ve taken delivery on the 128 yet. A lot of dealers are still awaiting their first ones.

will definitely let you know
I’m curious to try it out myself. Used to own a Phoenix 120 so it will be interesting.

Had a shot at demoing the first Eddyline Caribbean in the midwest (originally Calypso, but that’s another story) last year, but the Midwest rep retired.

Like the Cubs, there’s always next year.

ski vests
you will find are quite different than PFD’s designed for paddlers. Once you try one you will see how much difference there is in the cut and feel.

Just saw this ad.
http://www.backcountry.com/ocean-kayak-tetra-12-kayak-sit-on-top?CMP_SKU=JOP0260&MER=0406&sid=JOP0260&CMP_ID=DM_CRT001fb&mv_pc=r350&mr:referralID=e3d79bf7-003e-11e3-a969-001b2166c2c0

UPDATE: from Kc643
THANK YOU to all who helped educate me in the art of kayak selection & kayaking! I ultimately chose the Ocean Venus 11 as my first kayak…and I LOVE KAYAKING! I’m certain this won’t be my LAST kayak purchase! I so appreciate your input, and this discussion site!