Touring Kayak with High Deck Height

time
I always figure if it isn’t comfortable after an hour of paddling, how is it going to be comfortable after 8+ hours, and multiple days of that?

…maybe you’re right though. I’m going out for a longer paddle on Sunday so we’ll see how it does.

And for the seat construction, it seems like it’s only attached to the floor via a double-stack of foam; not integral to the kayak itself. I’ll double check up on top where the the seat hits the top of the cockpit – there might be something holding it in there as well.

The Tsunami 145 was uncomfortable
The 145 was uncomfortable for me initially, after about an hour on the water. It went away soon, after several outings. My body needed time to adjust. I have had the same with other kayaks - takes a few days in the seat (as log as it is not killing you, take the time to see how things go).

On the other hand, with certain kayaks, I never really got really comfortable despite time in the seat and my attempts to modify them, but those were the minority.

Necky makes a “touring” seat that is just a simple matter of removing the old seat and velcroing the new seat inside. Those are nice contoured seats, relatively inexpensive, and could be trimmed a bit if desired. Had a good luck with that in one of these kayaks where the seat was too narrow for me and had to replace it.

Also, pay attention on how the seat back or backband is attached and configured. Sometimes you might have to do modifications there too.

The easiest way to start is by putting temporary padding on your existing seat to lift or lower your bum or upper legs. This effectively changes the angle of the seat - people like different positions, so the factory setting might or might not work well. Also, start by adding foam (minicell) at the sides of the hull where your knees or thighs get close to so that you relieve tension on your legs from just sitting in the kayak. That might be all that you need, if you physically fit in the existing seat.

agree with giving more time
As a personal example, I’ve heard over the years a lot of complaints about NDK seats, just a simple small glass seat. My first time out in my Greenlander, and I thought I would need to think about something different. But I loosened up the back band a couple times, paid attention to my posture, and after just a few times out with it I was out all day with no problem, without even giving a thought to seat comfort. So I agree that a person should give what they have a few outings, think about their posture, give the muscles supporting a solid posture a little time to shape back up, and give strong consideration to the backband and how it’s adjusted. Sometimes changing just the back support and how you use it can go a long way.

Adjustments
On one of my boats, over a period of time (several years), I would adjust the back band and each time I thought I finally had it right. But after a few times in the boat it was obvious that it still wasn’t right. I changed the bungee cords that are part of the support system and then I thought for sure I had it. Just recently I think I finally did get it right when I made one more little tweak to the bungees.

Again, my point is that it takes time to get used to your seat and it isn’t always going to feel the same. But at least I’ve got the seat and back band in this boat right–maybe.

tsunami 145 turns fine
Keep the rudder up. Take a few classes. Your boat will turn well, but you need to edge it so that big built in skeg spreads the after like a knife icing a cake.

seat still stinks
So I went on a full day paddle on Saturday, and the seat still stinks! Removing the thigh braces helped a ton, but the seat still doesn’t hold a candle to my Wilderness Systems Phase 3 seating (or whatever they call it).

What is a good gel-like foam to use to try padding it different ways? My local boating shop only sells the really dense foam commonly used on those kayak/canoe car roof foam-block systems.

What are common things to try? Currently the seat back goes up and down, and more forward (already have it all the way back), but that’s the only adjustments I can make with the stock seat.

How is it uncomfortable?
Legs going numb? Back pain? Butt sore? Different people are built differently so what works for one may not work for another. Posture might be an issue - if your hips are rolled back you might be loading an area that isn’t used to the weight. Pay attention to your posture when paddling and maybe have someone take pictures or video.

Some resources:

NRS - supplies - http://www.nrs.com/category/3043/whitewater-kayaking/foam-padding-glue

Redfish - high end seat - I’ve been tempted - http://www.redfishkayak.com/seats.htm

Onno Paddles has an interesting seat: http://onnopaddles.com/components061513.html

Info on cockpit modifications: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakfit/instruction

Yakpadz sell gell pads
I find them comfy but usually paddle with no pad at all. Have you removed the factory pad if there was one? On most kayaks I prefer bare seat with the factory pads removed - more room this way, usually.

Necky Eskia

– Last Updated: Oct-09-13 7:37 PM EST –

If you can find one. No longer made. Nice big man's day tourer. Love mine.

Temptest 170
The Temptest 170 has plenty of room.

No way
A 6’2", 290 lb. man must be wider in the hips than me and he could not get in the cockpit of a Tempest 170. I know, I tried and I am “only” 6’4" 235 lb.

large kayaks
Pygmy sells wood kits for Greenland style boats that come in XL. Some are up to 18 feet or more and will accomodate people with large feet also.

That’s what I thought regarding Prijons
Their touring kayaks have really tall foredecks.

Maybe he could remove the seat and put in just a thin foam pad.

Yes
I am anxious to try the “high” versions of the Coho and the Arctic Tern, as well as the Borealis XL. I have a regular Coho and I love it, but I would appreciate more foot room for my size 13s. Also, I believe the Tern is easier to turn.

Storm

– Last Updated: Oct-11-13 11:15 AM EST –

Ha. I was going to mention the Storm. I have one. I have occasionally tried a foam pad on the seat but have never been convinced to add one permanently.

Easy to edge
My Tern 17’ Standard doesn’t need much of an edge to carve a turn. Even in the standard deck height it has plenty of room.

It is cavernous
But not a good boat for high wind without a rudder.

Borialis XL
Is part way to a Necky Pinta.

I’ve built a Pygmy 13, Coho and Pinguino13 and paddled the rest.

The Borealis would be perfect for him.

May not be the decks
But the thigh brace height

Google
I googled “kayak seat pad” and then selected the “Shop on Google” link and 18 choices popped up.