kayak for 5'-6" 112# person

Hello,

I’m looking for a kayak for exploring rivers and small lakes, and longer trips. I’m 5’-6", 112 pounds. Kayak weight 40 lbs or less would be great. Looking for something that tracks much better than my creek boat.

Thank you for any help.

Pat

Look around for

– Last Updated: Nov-13-13 2:15 PM EST –

A Perception Tribute 12 in thermoformed plastic "air lite". It's a recently discontinued model but there might be a shop with one.

Pricier option is Current Designs Vision 120sp 32lbs

Delta 12S
Check out the Delta 12S. 12’ x 24" 38# for smaller framed paddlers. Fore and aft hatches, front day hatch, full deck rigging, thermoform construction. I own one and love it!

Kevlar Perception Shadow 16.5 - 46 lbs
http://chambana.craigslist.org/boa/4181770000.html

Disclaimer: This is my boat and is a bit snug for me and my mukluks - I’m 5’6" and 160 lbs.

It’s plenty maneuverable, yet very easily kept on track.

It’s a lovely kayak for smallish paddlers.

Good luck in your search.

Pygmy Selkie
or Murrelet - Take a look at these if you have workspace available. I’ve built two Pygmies (not either of these)and they are fairly easy to build & don’t take much in the way of wood working skills. They are also not fragile - I can attest that they can take use … and if you built it you can repair it when you do bang it up.

Small
WS Tsunami SP might work for your weight.

SP
The SP would make a decent day boat at 112lbs but that doesn’t leave much room for gear. I’ve had a 130lb paddler in one of ours and it was riding a little low. Very comfortable (I’m told) but the knee braces aren’t workable so you’re sitting open in an over sized cockpit. A similar boat to the SP that has been catching my eye is the Tahe Lifestyle Solo PE. Triple layer and a decent looking cockpit. I’m hoping to see one this spring. I wish they made it 19.5-20" wide and 14’ long though.

Here is a listing for one with suggested paddler weights.

http://www.frontenacoutfitters.com/kayaks/one_boat.cfm?ID=774

If posting a link like that is not allowed let me know and I’ll remove it.

Agree
Murrelet is big for her but Selkie would be great. For the cost of a new composite boat this would be worth it.

Eric Schades Merganser 16 is nice but heavier.

Impex Mystic…plastic or glass
would

work well. These weigh in at 44-46 lbs, Kevlar at 40 lbs.

If you’re looking for
A fast, light weight, stable and gorgeous sea kayak–take a look at a Novus Composites 15’-8" at nckayaks.com.

Thank You
Thank You. I’m so glad I thought to ask here. Great help. I put your suggestions and ones I had found into Excel so I can compare the numbers at least. Highlighted + and - features for each one (compared to the one I have). Now I have a much better idea of what I’m looking for, and a good list to take to the dealer.

These are the brands he carries: Current Designs, Dagger, Heritage, Hurricane, Liquid Logic, Necky Kayaks, Ocean Kayak, Old Town, Perception, Wilderness Systems

and I found others that you mention which can be shipped, but not a place to try them out, yet.

I had totally forgotten about Pygmy Boats, so thanks for reminding me. I’m a builder and would love to build that Selkie.

I haven’t found Delta anywhere near me, but the 12S is coming to the top of my wish list–narrower cockpit, >40 lbs, plenty of storage, and I like that hull shape.

In another discussion, it was mentioned not to even consider a kayak under 14 feet. Do they track that much better than a 12-foot? Vision 120 (32 lbs) vs Vision 140 (43 lbs). Is the extra weight worth the 2 extra feet in length on long trips?

Thank you again.

Pat

Mystic is a great boat
I had a 36-pounder in kevlar. Rolls like a dream. Just don’t drop it off the top of a car.

G in NC

Thank You
It’s an Impex Mystic 14!

Thank You for all your help.

Pat

Find a used Picolo
From Wilderness Systems. Had my niece from Germany in one and is the same size as you.

Look at these photo’s and a couple of video’s. This was her first time out in a kayak!

http://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109227719241938487931/albums/5906252306073358465