Where do I go to see surf skis

Charles River Canoe & Kayak Newton
MA, is where I go for surfskis when not in Hawaii. In fact, a surfski (Stellar SEL) I rented from them last Summer, came in 3rd in the women’s division of the Blackburn Challenge. Overall, good service, selection and friendly staff.

Now that winter is beghinning to make
an appearance, Boca Raton sounds pretty good.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Erie Canal
I’ve seen some Epic surf skis being paddled on the Erie Canal near Fairport (SE of Rochester). Not much surf to speak of, but only the rowing shells seem faster.

usa HQ for epic
is Charleston SC…your profile says SC…betting they’d point you in a direction locally.

I have vsited Epic twice. Very nice
people. The V-10 fit me perfectly, while the V-8 cockpit was a couple inches too short.Don’t think I want a boat as technical as the V-10.

v10 and 12
are just scary to me…so tender! talk about yer intestinal wobble!

on the other hand i love the v8…it isn’t anywhere near as fast but it just feels so solid and stable on the water and compared to my sea kayak it’s a rocket ship. for me and for pure fun i think it’s a wonderful boat.

Elite Ocean Sports
Elite Ocean Sports distributes Vadja and Think surf skis. There is one model of the Vadja ski, which is 21’ x 17", for elite paddlers, (very pretty). There are 5 models of Think skis in a very nice progression from very stable to very, very fast, and tippy.

I’ve been paddling a V10S for years, and love that ski, but I’m considering a new Think EVO II.

The guys at Elite Ocean Sports are two of the nicest guys in the business. They both have day jobs, they distribute skis for a pure love of the sport. They run paddle camps, do numerous demo days a year, and sponsor several races. I went to one of their demos and paddled 4 different skis that bracketed my ability level.

I like the team at Epic, too. Very good guys. As manufacturers they have a slightly different perspective than a local distributor or dealer.

Just get a ski that you’re comfortable paddling in the conditions where you want to paddle it.

String, if you’re in the Upstate, you’re pretty close to Elite Ocean Sports. They’re up and down the east coast.

Definitely worth a trip there to …

– Last Updated: Nov-24-13 11:42 AM EST –

... To check the Vajda and Think skis and the Epics in one place (as far as I know). The problem with the skis is that their seats and cockpits are all different - get one that fits you best and gives you enough stability, don't focus on brand so much.

For most people the likes of Fenn Blue Fin and Swordfish, Think Eze / Big Eze, Epic V6 and V8 are more than enough. The likes of V10 Sport and new V10 or Think Evo II and Ion are somewhat advanced craft for the average sea kayaker to master. Totally within reach for advanced sea kayakers, tippy for beginners/intermediates. The "elite" skis like V12 and V14 Epics are out of the comfort zone for most and should only be considered by serious racer types.

And Kids 10 and Up Do Fine in Elite Skis
As long as their feet reach the pedals. It’s their parents and grownups that need coddling. Initially, gals have better balance than boys and learn faster, but the boys catch up fast (I wonder why?).

I’d love to demo the Epic V6
but my local dealer, Jersey Paddler, is no longer offering demo trials until spring. Has anyone paddled the V6?

Only briefly paddled the V6
Paddled it only for a few minutes on flat water. It has a surprisingly lively feel on center. It has excellent secondary stability when you edge it - it builds fast and strong. It should paddle similar to the Epic 16x I presume, but I don’t fit in the 16x so I don’t know. The seat is a bit different than the V10 and Sport - a bit more square I thought, more like in a sea kayak. Well made. I think it would be a lot of fun on short wind generated waves or just exploring about. If you are smaller, you might also consider the Nelo Ski 55 (or whatever the name is) and the Think Eze. I think they all have somewhat unique personalities and one might work better than the other for a particular situation. I just got the Eze myself and have paddled it only twice so far - a very nice ski, which at 17 feet is both fast enough to enjoy for fitness paddling and short enough for surfing wind chop where my V10 just feels too long to enjoy. I submited my initial review, but seems to take some time to post on the review section for some reason (you can read it and more and see a short video of it in the Think section of the surfski.info forum)

V-6
Just sold my wife’s V-6 to get ‘her’ a V-8. I agree with Kocho; the V-6 is a nice little boat. I’d think of it more as a fast sea kayak with an open bucket. It feels fairly efficient up to hullspeed, and then it’s limited by its length. If you were truly going to surf, the Trackmaster rudder with spring-loaded skeg works well, but its position all the way to the stern does limit it somewhat-no different than any other sea kayak with rudder.

It’s a slick little unit. The hatches work extremely well, and just having these alone makes it a great choice for day outings amongst the islands, or short camping trips. The only other boat I know of that offers these is the Stellar S18S, which is longer and a bit less beamy, hence greater speed.

This was the reason we sold the V-6. My wife was accustomed to the greater glide of her Endurance 18, so the trade up to the V-8 should provide more glide, minus the hatches of course. I didn’t think I’d personally love the V-8 as much as I do.

I also have a Huki S1-R, and a Stellar SEL Ultra, so the V-8 being in the family quiver really provides a benchmark for all sorts of conditions. If it’s a small craft advisory, the V-8 is beyond stable-you’d really have to stand on your head to fall out of it. The Huki is a fun, highly maneuverable play boat-lively beyond belief, and the SEL is fast, fast, fast-with greater stability than most of the elite boats.

It’s a tough choice at the entry level; the playing field for these boats is far wider, with offerings by every manufacturer. An unknown quantity buying a boat sight unseen is comfort. You may find that what works for one person, causes ‘dead leg’ or chafing for you. I’ve bought quite a few skis without trying them, mostly hits, with a few clinkers that didn’t work out at all. Once you narrow your wish list, then you can source out demos. Good luck in your quest!

I see them
at races. Had one at Normadins’ race a few years back.

I also think that EPIC is located in Charleston so you could contact them.

Referral
While Maine is a distance from your location as per your profile, I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Laughlin as an Epic and Think rep. Chris is highly respected in the Northeast/New England region, and will gladly work with you on delivery, be it direct from Epic itself, or through a transport company like KAS. He’s a good guy.

You can contact Chris at North Coast Kayaks in Lincolnville, ME. I know he has the Think line in stock, and V-6s and V-8s in the Epics. He could give you a more detailed estimate on delivery times for other models.

2nd Chris
Happy customer here, dealing with him remotely from MD. Very responsive to my questions, helped arrange shipping, was as advertised. I hear his shop is worth a visit if in the area…

From what he said re winter
paddling I think his shop is open year round. And right across from a beach.

North Coast Kayaks and Chris
Just took delivery of a new V10 Ultra. Chris literally bent over backwards to assure this customer was a happy one; and I am. Delivery was painless, the boat came in weeks before the anticipated ship date, and he checked in at every step of the way. Highly, highly recommended.

Any Fenn Surfski Dealers Up North?
With the exception of one Florida dealer mentioned on this board, I haven’t heard of any others, especially in the New England area?

No Fenn Dealers in the NE
Hi Clyde,

Unfortunately, no, the main Fenn dealers are Patrick and Deanne at OceanPaddlesports in CA, and Bruce Gipson in FL. It’s tough to get them out here, mainly due to shipping costs-the primary reason why Hukis aren’t more prevalent on the east coast, despite being exceptional boats.

Thanks for the info.