Flat water SUP

What is the best flat water SUP? I am looking at possibly getting this one: and wanted to see if anyone on here would recommend it for the flat water or if it should strictly stay in the ocean…

http://www.kayaktrader.com/404-monster-sup-green-126/

Go long
If you’re going to be primarily on flat water go with a 14’ board if you’re 165lbs.+. Definitely more glide per paddle stroke with the longer waterline. Looking for a home for my Tahoe Zephyr 14’ Ivory board if your in the vicinity.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

You got the right idea,
as the bow should be somewhat sharp for flat water.

When you are paddling into a chop a regular rounded bow with go Thump! with each chop.

Do Canoe-SUP for Flatwater
If there isn’t wind or waves then your fastest, easiest, best SUP option is to use a canoe. They’re already optimized for glide. And cargo. And passengers. Or go C1. Whatever your druthers. The only benefit of a SUP board is for surfing and its low windage. Otherwise all benefits – and they are major – go to the canoe.

And if you ever encounter shallow water, use a pole. 12’ x 1" tempered aluminum. (I’m the only widely available producer, $50, see my site http://outyourbackdoor.com.)

SUP - Flat Water Boards
I actually use my old Bic sailboard for a paddleboard. It’s wide, stable and hasn’t cost me any extra money.

SUC
Jeff,

You are right on with the canoe route. My wife and Karen Knight have been working on Freestyle Canoeing ala stand up which of course acronymizes into F-SUC. Now if someone wants to do some ocean paddling this way then that can be submitted to the ACA as O-SUC.

ya’know this could go on.

Seeyou on the water,

Marshall

TheRiver Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river -connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

SUP
If you want something that is easy to transport and big you wight wanna check out this: http://www.supriversurfer.com/tower-xplorer-stand-up-paddle-board-review/

I have also
used my SUP paddle while standing in a couple of canoes, being a 17’ aluminum and a 14’ kevlar Fisherman.

The results were very favorable.

I used gorilla tape to attach a 15" x 2" piece of plastic C channel to the rear hull of the Fisherman for a fin. Works great, and I take it off for transport.

A canoe enables a passenger to come along for the SUP ride.

The board is still its unique experience.

I wonder if you have actually …

– Last Updated: Sep-01-14 3:26 PM EST –

... paddled a SUP. When standing in a canoe, lifting the paddle up to go over from side to side is a lot less comfortable compared to lifting it over a low-profile SUP.

Without a fin, you will need a well-tracking canoe, which will make It a pain to turn - unlike a SUP, you can't easily walk the length of the canoe to change your center of gravity to help with turns and trim on a wave (you'll trip on the seats, cross-bars, and other stuff that is usually inside a canoe).

Not to mention what happens when you fall off the canoe and need to get back in...

Sure, a canoe or a sit on top kayak will float you standing up just fine. And offer a nice alternative to sitting down. But, both will be heavier and less comfortable to paddle standing than a purpose-built SUP. Yes, you can carry more passengers and cargo in a canoe or sit on top kayak, but that argument is bogus, as most people who take on a SUP do it so they have *less* stuff to carry.

Canoe great for SUP!

– Last Updated: Sep-11-14 7:09 AM EST –

>When standing in a canoe, lifting the paddle up to go over from side to side is a lot less comfortable compared to lifting it over a low-profile SUP.

*? No different than lifting paddle when using a canoe seated. That is, no bother at all. Try SUPing a canoe sometime to see that your complaints about it are off!

>Without a fin, you will need a well-tracking canoe, which will make It a pain to turn - unlike a SUP, you can't easily walk the length of the canoe to change your center of gravity to help with turns and trim on a wave

*You can move around a few feet easily in a canoe. I don't see SUPers moving around more than a few feet. Without a fin I can paddle shallows. I posted before that canoe-SUP maybe isn't a great wave-sport. ...Neither is hardly any of the Great Lakes SUP I've seen. Canoe-SUP is great flatwater river sport -- my experience with it thus far. We have thousands of miles of flatwater river around here. Our big lakes are at the farthest points from here. Here being inland mid-Michigan. My nice-tracking canoe turns when standing easier than when sitting. Have you canoed? But it turns just fine either way. Leaning helps, turn strokes, etc.

>Not to mention what happens when you fall off the canoe and need to get back in...

*Deepwater wet re-entry is a canoe skill. Shallow action like I'm doing means just stepping back into the boat.

>Sure, a canoe or a sit on top kayak will float you standing up just fine. And offer a nice alternative to sitting down. But, both will be heavier and less comfortable to paddle standing than a purpose-built SUP.

*My 28-lb solo canoe is nice and light. It's very comfy to paddle standing.

>Yes, you can carry more passengers and cargo in a canoe or sit on top kayak, but that argument is bogus, as most people who take on a SUP do it so they have *less* stuff to carry.

*Many people like to carry some stuff. I always carry short paddle, long paddle, canoe-pole -- I like to change how I'm going. Nice to easily stow it all. Passengers or tandem partners are common. Canoes make it really easy and dry. Tandem SUP -- now THAT's fun!